Gradebook synch with external application

Gradebook synch with external application

by Keith C -
Number of replies: 2
I have students doing work on an external site and can extract a report that contains the following:

Assignment Name
Student Unique Identifier
Assignment Score

I create the Assignment Name in Moodle when I assign the work to be done.  The student then goes to the external site, does the work and inputs their score into the Moodle which I then grade using the Moodle grading process.

I want to write a procedure to upgrade the items automatically.  I'm very capable working in the DB and understand the gradebook and assignment modules are separate things.   So basically, I would need to upgrade the assignment with a score then run whatever function Moodle runs to upgrade the gradebook.

Does anyone have experience with doing something like this in the Moodle db?  I know it's doable but you have to be careful the db gets changed everywhere it needs to get changed and the Moodle DB is complex with many denormalized things going on so I have the old dbadmin fear factor ;). 

In reply to Keith C

Re: Gradebook synch with external application

by Abhi puri -

HI Keith, I have implemented something similar to this, using the grade API. Let me know if you're still trying to get this going.

Its alot cleaner than writing your own DB calls

In reply to Abhi puri

Re: Gradebook synch with external application

by Adam Michael -

Hello Abhi, I am trying to solve the same problem. It is my first encounter with Moodle. Is your implementation open source/available?