Proposed subtle change to how random questions will work in Moodle 2.9

Re: Proposed subtle change to how random questions will work in Moodle 2.9

par Tony Gardner-Medwin,
Nombre de réponses : 1
Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers

Try http://www.tmedwin.net/cbm/selftests/index.htm?words . Each attempt gives 12 Qs, which will randomly show correct or incorrect spelling. You wouldn't want it so that you could just think on a repeat attempt "Oh, I remember this one was correct last time and I got it wrong, so it must be incorrect this time."

En réponse à Tony Gardner-Medwin

Re: Proposed subtle change to how random questions will work in Moodle 2.9

par dawn alderson,

I see,  (i confused effect and affect in your quiz Tony...not keen on the question examples there -maybe that is why I got confused am joking sourire

but when you say:

You wouldn't want it so that you could just think on a repeat attempt "Oh, I remember this one was correct last time and I got it wrong, so it must be incorrect this time."   But some attempts with any quiz are guesses-I mean some students guess?

When Tim stated this:

After my changes, it will work, but the quiz attempt will have one of the two questions repeated. That is the quiz attempt will look like A, B, A, or B, A, B. I think that that is not any worse than the way it works now, and arguably it is better. For example questions A and B might be random questions that each have 10 datasets, so in fact students are likely to see something different for each instance of A or B.

the issue remains that change ought to be optional, rather than default- is where we are.  So, I suppose might be random is a big ask for default setting...as opposed to optional.  But, as this thread has identified, are we talking about the purpose being L&T...which means other modes are generally used as well as quiz to consolidate or whatever..or is the focus on assessment with the quiz in light of this change as a default setting-if the latter then optional may be a more flexible way for that use.   I still think Tim's judgement is sound based on a knowledge of what goes on in practice. It may be, we need to distinguish purpose though. 
p.S. SOMEONE IN THE GREMLIN CUPBOARD HAS FOUND 
IT HIGHLY AMUSING TO MESS AROUND WITH MY ED 
DURING THIS POSTING!