Proposed subtle change to how random questions will work in Moodle 2.9

Proposed subtle change to how random questions will work in Moodle 2.9

yazan Tim Hunt -
Yanıt sayısı: 105
Core developers 'ın resmi Documentation writers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Peer reviewers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi

As I just mentioned, I am trying to fix MDL-6340 which is to do with exactly how random questions in the quiz work. This is a long tedious post about the technicalities of what might change there. Don't feel that you need to read this, but if you do, I would welcome any feedback you have. Thanks.

The main problem we want to solve is this, suppose you have a question category containing 10 questions, and you build a quiz that picks 5 random questions from that category.

On the student's first attempt, they will get 5 questions from that category, and they are guaranteed to all be different.

Then, on their second attempt, the student will get another 5 questions, but there is no guarantee that they will not overlap with the ones they got in their first attempt. In fact, on average they will get 21/2 repeated questions.

Well, with the proposed change, in the second attempt, they would be guaranteed to get the other five questions. Hopefully, everyone agrees that this is a good change.

More generally (since the situation is not always as neat and tidy as this), the logic is now:

• Find all the question that could go in this place. That is, the questions that are in the right category in the question bank.
  • For each one, count up how often it has been used in all the students previous quiz attempts (if any).
  • Look at all the questions that have been used the fewest number of times. (So, of some question have not been seen at all yet, take all of those. Otherwise, if all questions have been seen at least once but some have not yet been seen twice, take all the ones that have only been seen once. And so on.)
  • Pick one of those questions at random and use it.

This is all good. There is just one thing that changes as a result of this that might be considered surprising.

Suppose you are careless (or stupid) enough to get into this situation: You have a quiz that picks 3 random questions from category X, but that category only contains 2 questions A and B. Currently, if you do this, you get a fatal error when anyone tries to start an attempt.

After my changes, it will work, but the quiz attempt will have one of the two questions repeated. That is the quiz attempt will look like A, B, A, or B, A, B. I think that that is not any worse than the way it works now, and arguably it is better. For example questions A and B might be random questions that each have 10 datasets, so in fact students are likely to see something different for each instance of A or B.

Puan ortalaması:Useful (5)
Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

Re: Proposed subtle change to how random questions will work in Moodle 2.9

yazan Emma Richardson -
Documentation writers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi

This makes total sense all the way around.  I think this will be a positive change.

Of course, a nice little warning popup box when someone tries to add more questions than exist in the category would be nice too!! However, I can see that that would tricky as you it would be hard to address the possibility that someone might delete a question from the category after the fact.

Emma Richardson yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -
Core developers 'ın resmi Documentation writers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Peer reviewers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi

Giving a warning is another old bug: MDL-6103, and it is not easy to get right in general. Imagine in this case:

Question categories:

• Subcat
      • Sub-sub cat

And, some random questions in the quiz pick from Default or Subcat + subcategories, while others pick from just Subcat and sub-sub cat.

It might be easier to just start 10 quiz attempt, and see if any of those have repeats. If not, assume it is probably safe. If they do, display the warning. (For a suitable value of 10.) That would be doable, but I don't have time.

Even though we don't have a warning, I have left in the code that limits the add random question UI. So, if your category only contains 7 usable questions not yet in the quiz, then the drop-down menu for adding more random questions only goes up to 7.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Joseph Thibault -
Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi Testers 'ın resmi
Tim, 

1st off, this is a great improvement so thanks for taking it up.

1 clarification, when you mention looking at "count up how often it has been used in all the students previous quiz attempts (if any)" is that previous attempts of that particular quiz, or any quiz within the course (site?) where those same banks might be used?

In our Moodle we use site level categories and while students might take an exam based on a specific category of questions in a course, they may also see that category again in a different examination (cumulative final for example). 

Would the same logic apply? (I think it'd be beneficial if it did). 

Either way the improvement has my vote.

Joseph Thibault yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -

Sorry, sloppy wording on my part.

It just looks at the previous attempts at the paritcular quiz the student is attempting now.

Actually, the way the code is written, it would not be too hard to change. The key line is https://github.com/timhunt/moodle/blob/MDL-6340/mod/quiz/locallib.php#L163. You would only need to change that one line to make it consider all the student's quiz attempts everywhere. However, you would need to be aware that that might cause a major increase in server load.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan dawn alderson -

inclined to suggest, on measure: server/L&T, might be an idea to stick with the way it is, and if the code permits, possibly consider that change after some feedback.  I can't picture the advantages of 'all quizzes' yet, to be honest.  Be nice to see/hear about how the process with one quiz translates first.      

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Joseph Thibault -
Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi Testers 'ın resmi

gotcha, well I'd be in favor of that as well but I will take the particular quiz as an improvement

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Itamar Tzadok -

I think that this should be optional and not necessarily the default. Otherwise it may deflate the important learning strategy of repetition. I have always used only random questions in quizzes with unlimited attempts. And the final used the same question bank. This encourages students to do as many attempts as they possibly can in order to cover all possible questions for the final. And since they are not guaranteed to cover all questions in a minimum number of attempts, there is repetition which can help enforcing the knowledge base. gülüyor

Itamar Tzadok yanıt olarak

yazan dawn alderson -

I see, consolidation-yes, with quiz only?  I would use quiz once and another approach or two for triangulation (or vice-versa), to check for understanding...why rush things? If it were me...I would sit with the nice features as is, then introduce options, why not? Server issue is an issue-unless FfP eclipses that-and we don't know that yet.

yazan Tim Hunt -

Sorry, this is not going to be optional. It is going to work one way, and while I can see the point you are making, it does not convince me to change my mind. The proposed new behaviour is better for most people, most of the time, I think.

If you don't want your students to know the minimum number of attempts to see all questions, then don't tell them exactly now many questions there are.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Itamar Tzadok -
The proposed new behaviour is better for most people, most of the time, I think.
The quiz module is probably the most important module in Moodle. You practically control what most people will be able to do with it most of the time. With power comes great responsibility... This response of yours is quite unfortunate.

yazan dawn alderson -

Morning, 

if I may?

Tim can answer for himself about whatever you are saying there Itamar. 

What I would like to do here, is state why I agree with Tim's decision.

So, Itamar looking at that last post:

The proposed new behaviour is better for most people, most of the time, I think.

And that is a sound judgement. 

That is why I agree with the proposed default setting.  You see, there are, as I understand it-not that I have seen evidence, but I am able to make judgments too, and I would say more institutions use Moodle compared with the sole teacher as a one-man business. 

Now the implications of that are: when institutions set out to upgrade to 2.9- in this instance, then if the new feature...whatever it is, is default, then this ensures it is more likely to be used/experimented with by teachers as opposed to admin having the privilege to turn off the option- and this maybe due to a lack of knowledge of pedagogical value, with things considered from the server side alone (general view, but I am being pragmatic).      

I would go one step further in fact, and make all new features/additions default with the possible caveat-if it doesn't sell-option it then, as opposed to the other way around.  

D

yazan Tim Hunt -

Itamar, I'm sorry you felt my statement is 'unfortunate'. I was just trying to move the debate forwards by giving a clear summary of where my thinking had got to, so that anyone who disagreed could go on discussing with me.

But, if you want to change my mind, you need to give me good reasons to do so.

At the moment I see lots of support for the proposed change (so far):

• 9 votes and 13 watchers on MDL-6340.
  • 3 people in this thread in favour of this change, and 1 against.
  • And impression, that I can't quantify, that in this forum, over the years, many people have complained about random questions repeating before all possibilities have been used up.
  • The fact that, over a long period of time, another developer has cared enough to try to fix MDL-6340. All I really did was take the concept of their last patch, and re-implement it in a way that fitting the quiz/question architecture in Moodle.

Now, that is not completely unanimous. You would prefer that change not to happen, for a valid reason: some limited repeating is good for what your are trying to achieve in your teaching. I understand that, but I am afraid that so far it looks like you are out-voted.

Perhaps you can live in hope that eventually someone will make a proper spaced-repitition activity for Moodle, or something like that.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Tony Gardner-Medwin -
Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi

Attracted to read this thread by the word 'subtle', I find it not so! - reaching deep into the issue of what quizzes are really for: learning or assessment? For learning and challenge (the only thing I really care about) Itamar is absolutely right. The present setup is preferable. You train a goalkeeper by kicking randomly selected shots, not excluding repetitions of the previous shot. Recognition of a question as at least partially familiar is not the same as getting the answer right, and is a stimulus to careful thinking and calibration of appropriate confidence.

In assessment, random repetition can indeed be a hazard, especially with small tests. With feedback it gives advantage to students who happen to encounter repetition, while even without feedback randomization (with or without repetition) will increase variance and reduce reliability. If people want successive attempts at a quiz to show 5 different Qs out of a set of 10, then the sensible thing surely is to divide the quiz in two, with (if you want) each quiz sequenced in random order to yield different experiences between students or on repetition. If there is a serious Moodle demand for non-repeating randomization (preferably from students and teachers rather than developers) then surely it should be optional and not force a change in the handling of existing quizzes with a Moodle upgrade.

Tony Gardner-Medwin yanıt olarak

yazan dawn alderson -

Tony, hi

Am not convinced about that. How about you post a practice example or two...I will get that- much easier than the football example.  I think Tim said earlier that a rationale remained absent, to be convinced. I think that is fair enough. Itamar and Tony-I am open to the reasoning behind your thoughts, but I am not reading it at the moment.  

D

dawn alderson yanıt olarak

Try http://www.tmedwin.net/cbm/selftests/index.htm?words . Each attempt gives 12 Qs, which will randomly show correct or incorrect spelling. You wouldn't want it so that you could just think on a repeat attempt "Oh, I remember this one was correct last time and I got it wrong, so it must be incorrect this time."

yazan dawn alderson -

I see,  (i confused effect and affect in your quiz Tony...not keen on the question examples there -maybe that is why I got confused am joking gülüyor

but when you say:

You wouldn't want it so that you could just think on a repeat attempt "Oh, I remember this one was correct last time and I got it wrong, so it must be incorrect this time."   But some attempts with any quiz are guesses-I mean some students guess?

When Tim stated this:

After my changes, it will work, but the quiz attempt will have one of the two questions repeated. That is the quiz attempt will look like A, B, A, or B, A, B. I think that that is not any worse than the way it works now, and arguably it is better. For example questions A and B might be random questions that each have 10 datasets, so in fact students are likely to see something different for each instance of A or B.

the issue remains that change ought to be optional, rather than default- is where we are.  So, I suppose might be random is a big ask for default setting...as opposed to optional.  But, as this thread has identified, are we talking about the purpose being L&T...which means other modes are generally used as well as quiz to consolidate or whatever..or is the focus on assessment with the quiz in light of this change as a default setting-if the latter then optional may be a more flexible way for that use.   I still think Tim's judgement is sound based on a knowledge of what goes on in practice. It may be, we need to distinguish purpose though. 
p.S. SOMEONE IN THE GREMLIN CUPBOARD HAS FOUND 
IT HIGHLY AMUSING TO MESS AROUND WITH MY ED 
DURING THIS POSTING! 

yazan Marcus Green -
Core developers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi Testers 'ın resmi

I have never used the quiz for summative assessment. I have only ever used it for low stakes exercises. My students used to ask me "can I take the test again or would that be cheating". I would sometimes reply, "you call it cheating, I'll call it learning". 

My students would be annoyed with repeated questions, they would generally feel they were having their time wasted, they would want new ones, they would want some alternative angle.  Because of this, after a few tries I never used random questions at all, which is a pity as it is a useful concept.  Preventing duplication of random questions is not something specific to the use of quiz for summative testing.

yazan Tim Hunt -

Sorry, Tony. I don't follow your arguments "Recognition of a question as at least partially familiar is not the same as getting the answer right"

So, surely it is good to prevent unfamiliar questoins for as long as possible, and that is what this changes does. It ensures that no question is repeated until all questions have been seen at least once.

I only gave one example before. Let us consider a second example:

Suppose we have a pool of 100 questions, and a quiz that randomy selects 10 questions each time the student attempts it.

With the Moodle 2.8 code:

1. In the first attempt the student gets 10 questions at random.
  2. If they attempt the quiz a second time, then the get another selection of 10 questions at random. Therefore, we would expect that on average the student sees one question they have already seen in the first attempt.
  3. And, if they make a third attempt, they will see on average just under 2 questions that they saw in attempts 1 & 2.
  4. ...
  5. By their 10th attempt, they are likely to only be seeing 4 questions that they have not seen before, and 6 that they have.

With the proposed code

1. In the first attempt the student gets 10 questions at random from the full set of 100.
  2. In the second attempt, the student get 10 of the 90 questions they have not seen yet.
  3. In the third attempt, the student get 10 of the 80 questions they have not seen yet.
  4. ...
  5. In the 10th attempt, they get the 10 questions they have not yet seen.
  6. If they make an 11th attempt, then of course, they have seen all the questions once, so we are back to a completely random choice of 10 from 100. And so, on average, one of the questions will be the same as in the 10th attempt.
  7. And a 12th attempt would be 10 questions from the 90 the student have only attempted once.

In this case, and given the students are likely to only make a few attempts, not 10, then I think it is fair to describe the difference as subtle. Before the student may have sene perhaps 3 repeated questions out of 30, and now they don't see any repeats.

And, despite having read all the discussions, I still thing it is entirely fair to describe this as an improvement for almost everybody.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Itamar Tzadok -

Well,

• This change is neither subtle nor proposed. Insofar as it replaces current functionality, it is a major change and imposed.
  • No matter how many votes MDL-6340 has (and 9 is not that many) it doesn't tell you how many vetos there could have been if Moodle Tracker offered that option.
  • 3 people in this thread in favour of this change is quite insignificant. Note, that no one is likely to object to this behavior as an option.
  • You also can't quantify how many people, in this forum, over the years, have *not* complained about random questions repeating before all possibilities have been used up. Those who are happy with a certain thing don't tend to make a fuss about it.
  • Please note the type of MDL-6340. It is supposed to be an *Improvement*, not a bug.  The fact that another developer might have confused it with a bug and tried to "fix" it (if that's indeed the case), instead of enhance it, is not a justification for imposing such a "fix".

This is a major change in core functionality of one of the most important core modules in Moodle. Since you have the power to push such a change the burden of proof is on you and you should be much more sensitive to objections than to support. There are probably far more people using this module and this functionality than people participating in all of Moodle forums and in the Moodle tracker together. You won't hear from them until their instructional strategies break after upgrade. Then you might see MDL-5234X Unforce unique/unseen questions in quiz retakes, with at least 9 votes and 13 watchers. But given your current attitude, you are likely to dismiss such MDL-5234X and its 9 votes as not having sufficient support.

I can appreciate that adding this feature as an option requires more work and that you, just like everyone else, is very busy. I suspect that at the end of the day this is the only real reason for not adding the feature as an option. With such core functionality, this is not a good reason at all.

yazan dawn alderson -

Well I am not going to sod off now-Am I...given I have been trying to follow here.

So, Itamar when you say:

This is a major change in core functionality of one of the most important core modules in Moodle. Are you suggesting that you are aware of this to be a major change because of the high level of usage across the user-base? And you know this-right? 

And, when you say...

Since you have the power to push such a change the burden of proof is on you and you should be much more sensitive to objections than to support. Itamar, really now, it has taken us some time to get to a decent rationale-really it has, and I honestly think default would not bloody well harm things, but I do now see a reason for optional-as I stated in my last post.  

And...when you say

There are probably far more people using this module and this functionality than people participating in all of Moodle forums and in the Moodle tracker together.  Oh come on...you are not comparing like with like there, those of us here are familiar with the quiz and know its affordances/functionality and are asked talk about it among colleagues.  

OK, when you say this:

You won't hear from them until their instructional strategies break after upgrade. Then you might see MDL-5234X Unforce unique/unseen questions in quiz retakes, with at least 9 votes and 13 watchers. How about you expand on that? I think that would be helpful all round. 

As for this para:

But given your current attitude, you are likely to dismiss such MDL-5234X and its 9 votes as not having sufficient support.I can appreciate that adding this feature as an option requires more work and that you, just like everyone else, is very busy. I suspect that at the end of the day this is the only real reason for not adding the feature as an option. With such core functionality, this is not a good reason at all.

I would say....bordering on a flaming attack....and the moderators are slow around here...I have been mod-ed for far less Itamar! şeytanca 

yazan Ray Morris -

Thanks for that improvement. I do think it is "subtle" in that I'd estimate 99% of users don't know whether or not it already works that way.  They ask for random questions, they get random questions and never think about how multiple attempts by the same student relate to that.

I think that that is not any worse than the way it works now, and arguably it is better.

I think that part, repeating the same question in the same quiz when you ask for four questions and only have one, is clearly worse.  I think that when there is an error (asking for 4 questions yet providing only 1 is an error), there should be an error message letting you know that there is an error.  I would bet that it could be avoided with a small change to the code, so you're considering how many times the student has _previously_ seen the question, rather than mixing the current attempt in with that.  However, it's not a high priority to me so today I'm not going to go looking at the code and trying to offer a specific suggestion on how to "fix" it in order to "properly" inform the user of the error. Instead I'm going to go work on code related to importing questions, which is a higher priority.

In one organization I'm involved in, one of our fundamental principles is that those who do the work are the ones who decide the details of how the work is done.  Very few people would volunteer to be micromanaged.

Ray Morris yanıt olarak

yazan Itamar Tzadok -
In one organization I'm involved in, one of our fundamental principles is that those who do the work are the ones who decide the details of how the work is done. Very few people would volunteer to be micromanaged.
According to this principle, since the assistant to the CEO is doing the work of making the coffee, he will decide what coffee the CEO will drink, regardless of what coffee the CEO prefers.

Surely that's not what you meant.

How to use random questions in a quiz is an instructional strategy. The decision is typically made by the instructional designer or by the instructor if there is no designated instructional designer. The decision is not made by the Moodle/Sakai/D2L etc. developer, unless the developer is also an instructional designer and she is making the decision while wearing the ID hat.

Either way, that's not the case here. Effective Moodle should not impose any instructional strategy unless there is really no way to implement differently. In this feature it is clearly not necessary to impose the "proposed" strategy. Consider Tim's own example:

The main problem we want to solve is this, suppose you have a question category containing 10 questions, and you build a quiz that picks 5 random questions from that category. On the student's first attempt, they will get 5 questions from that category, and they are guaranteed to all be different....  Well, with the proposed change, in the second attempt, they would be guaranteed to get the other five questions.
And what happens in the third attempt? Clearly it must fall back to true random selection of 5 questions where all questions have been seen. So, the module can still do a random selection with reptition. It is just that Tim wants to completely prevent it while there are unseen questions. There is a switch there, but it will be hardcoded to behave in one particular way, rather than allowing the instructor/instructional designer to turn it on or off.

gülüyor

yazan Marcus Green -
Core developers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi Testers 'ın resmi

Can someone make an argument in favour of repeated question when using random questions please.

yazan Graham Moir -

As someone who has just stumbled into this discussion, I have to say that I don't find Itamar's attitude, nor how he has written his posts any way near a flaming attack.   On the contrary, to me he's provided objective reasoning why this change should not be  'imposed'.   If anything your response Dawn is a lot more subjective/emotional and contains bad language.

Anyway +1 for what Tim is proposing being optional.  It's a good enhancement,  but in my experience removing backward compatibility is always a bad choice.

Graham Moir yanıt olarak

yazan dawn alderson -

Thanks Graham. 

You are quite right.  In fact, I have learned a lot from your posts.  

Many thanks, again.

It is quite a sunny day here, we are heading for a bit of a heat wave over Easter apparently, that will be nice, I am sure you will agree. The weather isn't always like that during Easter in the UK.  In fact, we have not had a very hot Easter for some time, isn't that interesting.

Anyway bad language, subjectivity and weather-talk all makes for ruthless pragmatism...and that is not the done thing around here now is it!  öpüyor

Good day, Graham.   

yazan Tim Hunt -
I am still sure it makes no sense to expose such a highly technical issue about the internal workings of the quiz as a user-visibile option. I am sure that an experience developer like you knows the heursitic more options == worse UI. If you think that this should be an option added to the quiz settings form, how would you word it? Presumably it would be a drop-down with two choices. What woud you suggest for the label, the two choices and the help icon content?

Like anything in open source, even if this gets into Moodle 2.9, you can edit the code to change it back. Specifically, you would just need to change this one line: https://github.com/timhunt/moodle/compare/master...MDL-6340#diff-68b0d1eefe47af1ab1ce7e0b874d703bR163 to
$qubaids = new qubaid_list(array());
Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Itamar Tzadok -

Thank you. That's a more resonable response which properly discloses the two concerns underlying the way this change is proposed:

• The complexity of the UI.
  • Code freeze in 9 days.

As a developer I can hack anything in Moodle. As an administrator I would try to avoid hacking as much as possible. As an instructional designer/instructor I want to be able to implement my instructional strategies, especially those I've already used successfully (other learned opinions in the this thread notwithstanding). In what I do, I'm wearing all hats.

I don't object the new strategy. I object losing the current one. If it is integrated as is, it will be practically impossible to get you to do or approve further core adjustments that will allow the current strategy.

At minimum I need a backend config setting at the quiz level. I can then write a local plugin that will provide the UI for setting it on/off. This way you do not overload the current UI, and presumably can still make it in time for the code freeze, and allow me and others to continue using the quiz according to our preferred instructional strategies.

yazan dawn alderson -

OK.

now we have a different issue. 

A plug in to support choice? Does that involve more work all round than making it optional in the first place? In view of the 9 day code freeze.

yazan Marcus Green -

"Itamar is argument is in favour of making it impossible for students to know whether they have seen all the questions that are available yet, and repeats are an acceptable price to pay for that."

I can imagine someone wanting that, but I don't understand how the current system makes that likely. I don't understand the argument.

It should be remembered that the vast majority of quizzes are conducted with fairly small question banks and so with random questions there is a very high chance of repetition.  As I mentioned previously, in my experience repeated questions do not impress students.  When people ask for something to be "random" they generally mean random while avoiding repeats. I believe Apple found this out with their music system when people complained that random shuffle was too random.

I'd like to agree with the idea that more options on a UI are to be resisted wherever possible.

Marcus Green yanıt olarak

yazan Jean-Michel Védrine -

"Itamar is argument is in favour of making it impossible for students to know whether they have seen all the questions that are available yet, and repeats are an acceptable price to pay for that."

I strongly disagree with the end of the sentence. Don't forget random is random.

Imagine you have a question bank with 100 questions and 10 questions are on the very same important subject.

Poor Joe Badluck student has some probability to never see any of these questions despite a huge amount of attempts. On the contrary Lucky Fortune will only need 10 attempts to see all the questions on that subject.

Is that an acceptable price to pay ? I don't think so.

The actual situation is unfair even in learning situations that some of this thread advocate against the change.

With the proposed change all students are insured to see these 10 questions if they do 100 attempts at most.

Jean-Michel Védrine yanıt olarak

yazan Marcus Green -

I'm not sure I am understanding  you Jean-Michele. It seems to me that this change will mean the questions selected will no longer be strictly random, with the benefit that Joe Badluck will see all questions eventually..

I mean that with this change we are sure no student will miss questions that teachers absolutely want them to study if they make a significant number of attempts.

As Moodle is now if I want student to see some questions I can't include them in a random group of questions. And this mean I must include them directly in the quiz, not as random questions and this defeat the idea "I only want student that study seriously to see these questions not everybody"

It seems to me that this change will mean the questions selected will no longer be strictly random, with the benefit that Joe Badluck will see all questions eventually

Yes you are right with this change Joe Badluck will see all questions if he makes 100 attempts as any other student and this is why I am in favour of the change. Sorry if my text was not clear, don't forget French is my native language.

But I don't agree that with this change "question selected will no longer be strictly random" it's exactly the same old classical problem math teachers use in probability courses : when you draw some coloured balls from an urn, there are 2 different ways to draw these balls : with replacement and without replacement

• until now and until Tim's proposed change is integrated, the question engine was drawing questions with replacement
  • when/if this change is integrated the question engine will draw question without replacement
But this is still random. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urn_problem

yazan Marcus Green -
With random selection you can have duplicates, with Tims new approach the algorithm will attempt to prevent duplicates, so to me that is not random. But I'm not suggesting that is a bad thing for this task just my conception of random.  However for the audience from the UK my highest Math qualification is a CSE grade 1 taken in 1976. Also I bow down to anyone who can communicate in a second language as you do Jean-Michel (and so many other Moodle developers)

I was amused by a story of a conversation between a gangster and a Maths prof.  The Maths prof says

"If I flip a coin 49 times and it lands heads every time, what is the odds of it landing heads the 50th time?". 

The gangster says,

"100%". 

The Maths prof says, 

"No, the coin has no memory of the earlier flips and so the odds are still 50/50". The gangster says,

"No you fool, it is obviously a loaded coin"

I don't think this has any connection with the thread apart from the general concept of randommness.

yazan Itamar Tzadok -
Imagine you have a question bank with 100 questions and 10 questions are on the very same important subject.

If that's the case and you have a flat question bank structure, then it is just an example of bad instructional design.

Marcus' remark is telling:

It should be remembered that the vast majority of quizzes are conducted with fairly small question banks

I'm inclined to agree with this statement. At least that's what I am seeing in the majority of academic courses.  If it is indeed correct it can help explain why it is hard for so many here to understand what I'm talking about.

Itamar,

You tend to frequently use terms that means you are doing things right and other are doing them wrong "bad instructional design" is unfair and somewhat insulting for me. And this is not the first time you do that.

On the contrary I assume you are intelligent enough to understand my example was a simplified one, not a real pedagogical situation at all, just to explain how relying on random in a training situation could be unfair for students.

yazan Itamar Tzadok -

By the same token I could have complained that since you knew that I found the actual situation quite fair and effective, your statement "The actual situation is unfair even in learning situations that some of this thread advocate against the change" was only meant to insult me. But I chose to understand your statement as a fair perspective and not as an insult. I can only hope that you would give me the same courtesy.

For me the issue at stake here is not to lose a certain instructional strategy. I don't take any strategy to be absolutely right or wrong. And the details of what works well where and when, cannot be fully explored here, and definitely not in a time frame of 9 days before code freeze. I'm more than willing to agree that in some situations and uses of the current randomization strategy it may be unfair. You don't seem to allow that in some other situations and uses, which you may be unfamiliar with, it can be quite fair and effective.

yazan Tim Hunt -

"If it is integrated as is, it will be practically impossible to get you to do or approve further core adjustments that will allow the current strategy."

This assumption is incorrect. I do oppose adding an option for this to the standard Moodle UI, but I would listed to the views of users ahead of my own opinion if you submitted a patch for this.

"At minimum I need a backend config setting at the quiz level. I can then write a local plugin that will provide the UI for setting it on/off."

Now that is a good suggestion. I would not suggest a Local plugin. It would probably be better to add this to the Quiz access rule API, since they can already hook into lots of places in the quiz code. If you can find an elegant way to let Quiz access rules influence this, then please submit a patch.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Itamar Tzadok -

I will look into the Quiz access rule approach and continue this on the tracker. Thanks. gülüyor

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

Such a waste of time over one clickbox to retain functionality. It is fundamental that developers do not actually know the variety of ways in which Moodle is being used and is valued, and should bear this strongly in mind. Not Moodle's finest hour. 

My thinking is that this was in fact a real bug. A very unfortunate bug, and as it was rather difficult to solve it has unfortunately stayed unfixed for years.

All my gratitude to Oleg Sychev and his students for trying to fix it along the years never giving up.

The good side is that all this time and all these patches have given Tim a good understanding of what should be done and most likely helped to find a good solution.

When a developer fix a long standing bug, very often it breaks work done by some users that were relying on that bug (this was like that several times with the lesson activity), this is unfortunate, but this must not stop us to make Moodle better.

yazan dawn alderson -

I suppose, if this feature has always meant to be there, and a bug has prevented it from existing, then surely it will be a welcome addition?  

I too understand the notion of repetition, but in this instance I am struggling to get it because as I said earlier, I would not be inclined to consolidate/check for understanding with the same mode for L&T. Exams are different, of course, but I still think default is best when all things considered from an L&T&A stand-point .

yazan ryan sanders -

to note it, i am not completely invested into the overall tracker issue, and this thread, and in that, just skimming over it. 

<quote username="ltamar">

I think that this should be optional and not necessarily the default. Otherwise it may deflate the important learning strategy of repetition. I have always used only random questions in quizzes with unlimited attempts. And the final used the same question bank. This encourages students to do as many attempts as they possibly can in order to cover all possible questions for the final. And since they are not guaranteed to cover all questions in a minimum number of attempts, there is repetition which can help enforcing the knowledge base. smile

</quote>

i also agree this should be optional setting. 

on other hand i also see your point Tim hunt, in giving example of randomization of a 10 question bank, and only choosing 5 questions. 

when it becomes 100 question bank, and only using 20. it becomes a different thing. 

the following questions come up... is questions being used to teach? as one of the learning tools? such as a document / pdf, to video / audio file?   or is it being used to see if student went through information? or is it checking to see if student knows information and able to apply the information they know?

being able to go back and re-take a quiz. and some of the questions being same could be a bonous for me.  i could also see teachers wanting students to re-take test, but based on completely different questions, but pulling from same question bank, for different set of questions.   Hey i been there done that. some stuff just completely "duh", in how it is presented,  and then someone else come's along and restarts information. and it makes sense. and other things fall into place. 

================

with above i am for making it "optional setting"   if it is already an option, and simply change default setting of on/off.  i could care less about that.  but changing actual functionality of quiz were it is not an option. *shakes head no* 

other words, if i talked to my mom. and explained situation to her. she would say what were you thinking?  

NOTE: i tend to use my mom in thought, due to she is not very computer illiterate. in this, if i was a teacher, not IT savvy, i would most likely have issues of change of functionality.  OPTIONAL thing, on other hand would be a bonus!  and would come across in teachers talking to other teachers, saying hey, i have this problem, oh you can do this, and that, and little bit of this here. and there you go.  

the change in functionality that you are talking about Tim hunt without an option. = frustration. and i would be getting a ear full of crud from multi folks. or i should say, tech support phone call support. 

===================

suggestion... is giving a "input numeric box" that accepts whole, decimal, and % percent number.  and allowing X amount of questions to happen, on next attempt.   

i can set it to "0" or (blank) for no questions get duplicated in second attempt. OR LESS i need questions to fill out needed amount of questions. then use additional questions on previous attempt/s 

i can set it to say "%150" percent.  so that, there is a large chance previous questions on earlier attempt show up, on next retake. 

perhaps setting it to "%200" percent = full set of questions, from previous attempt get used. 

say "%50" percent chance = if random selection comes up on next attempt, and question was already went through, it has a %50 percent chance of being selected. vs randomizing another question...

i could put in say "5" so max amount of questions from previous attempt could be used.

i could put in say "-5" so 5 actual questions from previous attempt are required to be used in next attempt. 

NOTE: above is pure of moment typing, and not much thought into examples. but quick dry run through my mind, makes sense. and give a lot more options. 

===============

EDIT  the use of - + %   via drop down menu and then a "numeric" input box  

i would be against use of a single input text box.  information lost in details of what meant what. having drop down menu = oh i have those options.  it comes back in creating sentence structure... and not needing some "command line" options to be remembered. 

ryan sanders yanıt olarak

yazan dawn alderson -

Hi,

please forgive me, I am very sorry, but I am losing the will! kafasıkarışık

Tim's second example: it is a deductive process that will be default.  I really cannot argue with this in terms of pedagogy, really I can't....and I am feeling faint from saying the same thing over and over again, sorry.

And when Marcus says:

Can someone make an argument in favour of repeated question when using random questions please.

No, nobody has thus far-with any solid reasoning, to be fair. Teaching and learning and using the quiz with repeated questions, well to me that arguably tests memory alone. If I do not get a question correct first time-see the answer/or not...then get that same question again as part of the same quiz, then I am left wondering what is the point? With a different question/context-this is a different matter, much value in that.

This thread has exhausted me! gözkırpıyor

yazan Tim Hunt -

Itamar's argument is not in favour of repeating quetsions.

Itamar is argument is in favour of making it impossible for students to know whether they have seen all the questions that are aviabable yet, and repeats are an acceptable price to pay for that.

Actually, Itamar, can you give us any data?

For a typical example of one of your quizzes, can you tell us how many questions are selected to make the quiz, out of a pool of how many in the question bank? (So, the two examples I gave above would be summarised as 5 out of 10, and 10 out of 100.)

Also, can you summarise, for that quiz, how many of your students made 1, 2, 3, .... n attempts? (I guess you could get that by downloading Quiz admin -> Results -> Grades, sort it by student, then using the Subtotals feature in Excel/LibreOffce calc to count the rows for each student.)

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan dawn alderson -

to be fair, I did mention this earlier:

This is a major change in core functionality of one of the most important core modules in Moodle. Are you suggesting that you are aware of this to be a major change because of the high level of usage across the user-base? And you know this-right? 

And-it is good to be open to that.

yazan Tim Hunt -

Dawn,

I think this is a minor change. (I thought that when I first posted, and I still think that despite all the comments.)

I am really suprised at the response this thread has got. I though I was just posting about a minor technical change, so no-one could later complain that they had not been given the chance to comment, but I was wrong about the strength of feeling other people have about this. Many things in other parts of the code go through the tracker without anyone in the forums being aware until the next Moodle version is released. I try to do better than that.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan dawn alderson -

Tim, I hear exactly what you are saying.  I also agree that it does appear to me, to be a minor change. I used that response to highlight,my response, in bold-in that last post.  The thing is, it now appears it is thought to have more than a minor impact, in view of this thread.

I recognise where you are coming from pedagogy-wise, really I do.  And, I have attempted to outline those elements in favour of the default change/addition.  Now, a few things remain in light of the developments across this thread, which I can't square, it may be that you can do so, or not, of course.  

1.  I can't see your rationale for default- explicitly.

2.  It does seem fair to offer the user a choice, upon reflection-given there has been a latter suggestion for a plug in.

3.  Is there a compromise to be laid out on the table? 

Happy to receive email, if more convenient for you.

Finally, there is no shadow of a doubt about your integrity to get the job done right-now come on, you know that! 

hh

D

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan ryan sanders -
just changing from full random to random without repeats.  until all questions in bank have been used up, and then starting to random repeats after that. *big deal*  

it would be nice to have more to it. but... if pressing just for something for 9 day deadline.  go with original thing. i doubt to many would complain on that part.  if it came down to it, a teacher could copy a question bank and delete some questions from it to reduce amount of questions in the bank, and set the quiz amount up higher. and there you go with repeated answers after so many attempts at quiz. 

though for larger quiz banks it would be nice to have more option to it. though UI clutter. *agree with* more so when talking non IT staff. and just pure amount of buttons / menus / options to choose from. and needing a degree in rocket science to figure out.  but little bit more. for options may give better overall usage. and allow folks to use a quiz more like a teaching tool. vs just testing if they went through information. 

yazan dawn alderson -

Ryan, we need to be crystal clear sırıtıyor

are you saying that it is now do-able: Tim's original plan? If so, you have listed some items there but I am struggling a bit with your proposal.

so, not this:

just changing from full random to random without repeats.  until all questions in bank have been used up, and then starting to random repeats after that.

And be nice to have this:

but little bit more. for options may give better overall usage. and allow folks to use a quiz more like a teaching tool. vs just testing if they went through information. 

But overall, given the 9 days deadline...Tim is good to go.

You see, the work is ready by the sound of things, and Tim has followed protocol with Tracker and so on, it therefore appears if Tim were to go ahead, then we all know optional can be brought in at a later date-after the default has had an airing....(and folks-I ruddy well said that 3/4 of the way back in this thread!!)

I do hope matters are resolved. Tim is right, this has been a lengthy thread eh gözkırpıyor 

yazan John Lynch -

I wish that I had the time to read through this entire thread. But I think that Ryan captures a key point, that there is a difference between "random" and "random without (or minimizing) repeats."

My main concern isn't with functionality, it's with faculty who are trying to use this system. Most of my faculty don't bother showing up for support or training or whatnot. They dive into the system and try to use it, and then if it doesn't work the way that they think it should, I get an earful. So I really sympathize with Tim's argument that we want to minimize the number of features in the UI.

BUT... I think that "random without repeats" does NOT mean "random," and that is a more critical issue. If we make all of the so-called random questions actually not random at all, I fear that this will create more confusion for the average user. For power users, this may make a LOT of sense, and I'm not in a position to argue with the people who say that this is better instructional design. But almost none of my faculty are power users, and they hate it when someone else tells them how to teach; so I have trouble seeing this being well received.

If the real problem is a complex UI, I have some suggestions. I can't train my faculty (as I've said, they come to me when there's a problem, more often than when they first have an idea), but I definitely train my support staff. So I feel like a possible solution to the problem of a complex UI (that will be satisfactory to no one, of course) would be to have a "regular" set of configurables, and then an "advanced" set of configurables, controlled by role/permissions. That way, you could give faculty access to the most common set of configurables (hopefully, someone is collecting data on which configurables are used most often; If not, please start!), and have a text message at the end of that section saying, "If you want to do the following (X, Y, Z), we encourage you to contact your local support, who have that capability."

John Lynch yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -

I feel this point has already been made and refuted several times in this thread.

We are not "[making] all of the so-called random questions actually not random at all".

Random questions in Moodle are already "random without repeats". For example, if you add two random question from Category X to your quiz as questions 1 and 2, then Question 1 will be selected at random from all the questions in Category X, and Question 2 will be selected at random from (all the questions in Category X except for the one that was picked for Question 1). All we have done is to extend the 'except' logic to account for previous attempts at the same quiz too.

If you have not received "an earful" from your faculty in the past because of the way this used to work, the I would say you have been lucky. I confidently predict that none of your faculty will ever complain about the new way this works.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Marcus Green -

Tim, you were right when you put the word subtle in your original post. Can I paraphrase this as "the random questions will be unique within any one attempt at a quiz".

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -

Itamar, did you see the above request for data? I would still be interested to see it.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan dawn alderson -

Hey, all

For the record, this thread has frustrated me no end-and yes women get frustrated too and cross and all the stuff that goes on with men when things are frustrating-we even swear!!!!!!!! Gosh how terrible is that eh.  We also know how to express empathy skills when someone has worked hard-only to have their work/ideas questioned at the last minute....yes-that is right empathy-not emotional subjectivity blah...

And Tim that post is persistent:

Itamar, did you see the above request for data? I would still be interested to see it.

and made me laugh, sorry Itamar...and I needed to laugh!

So, I want to build an argument based on what has gone before...it seems there is now an overwhelming majority for this Tim, great. I do think there is one small point left, in my view, could be wrong, and I will present that next in my points.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Rick Jerz -
Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Testers 'ın resmi

Tim, thanks for putting all of your effort into improving Moodle's quiz engine.

I like the improvement, but I would like it more as an option, and I will try to explain.  I, like Itamar, will use a question bank for homework, where I allow repetitions.  Then, I use the same question bank for a one-attempt "exam."

One has to assume that some students will know exactly the logic behind moodle (because they read the moodle docs.)

As homework, I would want to discourage a student from redoing quizzes just to expose every question bank question.  With the proposed logic (allowing repetitions), once a student sees a repeated question, they know that they have seen every question in the bank.)  They also know that if the instructor is using the same question bank for an exam, that they know (i.e., have printed or saved) every possible question.  This situation would cause me to vote against the proposed change.

As an exam, if I want to allow more than one attempt, I favor your proposed change because on the student's second attempt, they would never have a repeated question.

Well, this leaves me concluding that we should have an option in Moodle to turn this on or off.  (Not being a php programmer) I suggest in the quiz setup (i.e., Edit Settings), and under Question Behavior, there should be another option that says something like "Allow repetitions of random questions (yes/no)."  Sure, make the default be "No."

I can live with the proposed change, but it will make me have to rethink how I use question banks.  I foresee more work to try to create well-design assessment questions.  Sure, that is part of my work as an instructor.

I do use "Calculated", and I am still not sure if you plan to implement "Allow repetitions" within a these types of questions.

The moodle quiz engine is already the best that I can find, so your improvements are always making it even better.  But as we are seeing, "quizzes" are designed differently, and mean different things to different people.  I would love a product where I could write a question like "Are you a man or a mouse?" and have the product automatically create 50 versions of this question.

Also, depending upon question type, I clearly see the need for one or the other "allow repetition" types.  For essay questions, I would strongly favor "no repetitions."

Rick Jerz yanıt olarak

yazan Marcus Green -

"The moodle quiz engine is already the best that I can find"

I've done the research, it's the best, free or paid for.

Rick Jerz yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -

So your set up is essentially the same as Itamar's.

I have the same questions about real data, and I would be interested in your answers too.

• How many questions in the bank?
  • How many questions in each practice quiz?
  • How many questions in the final exam?
  • The instructional design is clearly set up to give students to do the practice quizzes many times, but if you look in teh quiz reports, how many attempts do they actually make?

I have learned an important lessons from hanging around OU academics

You may set things up a certain way for the best of reasons, fully expecting that to help students learn, but you must always check the data. Sometimes the way your learning design actually works in practice is not how you thought it would work. (Some good examples of this at http://www.open.ac.uk/blogs/SallyJordan/) Fortunately the Moodle quiz makes lots of data available.

Another interesting point is that your use of quizzes would not be allowed at the OU. Our rules say that you cannot use the same questions in formative and summative assessments. However, the questions in the practice quizzes can be very similar to the ones in the summative quiz. E.g. performing the same calculation, but with different data.

Also, we would never build a summative assessment with a set of questions pulled completely at random from the whole question bank. We would want to know that the questions cover all the key topics, so each question would come from a separate category of similar questions. 

If you really want to ensure that students don't simply write down all the answers to all the questions, do the same thing. Make the practice quizzes pull from one pool, and reserve some separate questions for the final exam. Probably a bit more work, because you need more questions overall, but more robust.

Rick Jerz yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -

Thanks to Ray, a long way above, for catching a potential bug;

"I think that part, repeating the same question in the same quiz when you ask for four questions and only have one, is clearly worse.  I think that when there is an error (asking for 4 questions yet providing only 1 is an error), there should be an error message letting you know that there is an error."

He is right, and I have now fixed this in my code.

As Rick says here, it is not obvious that it is a bug. That is, if you use calculated questions, for example if you have one calculated questions that provides 10 variants of a simple addition problem, then you might like to add several copies of that to your quiz.

Unfortunately, because of the details of how shared data-sets (a good feature) are implemented, that won't work, all the repeated copies would show exactly the same variant.

Obviously, that is not what we would like. I hope that can make ths work one day, but it was not possible as part of this change. (There are even cases for adding multiple copies of a non-internally-ramdomised question to the quiz. E.g. after every Moodle-graded question add a the essay question "Reflect on the process of answering the last question, and write a sentence about what you think you learned.")

yazan Graham Moir -

"Can someone make an argument in favour of repeated question when using random questions please."

1) Because that's how it's been all along, and so it is expected to work that way.   In other words using Itamar's terminology, it is built in to the "instructional design" of existing courses,  so just "imposing" a change to how this works, in other words not maintaining backward compatibility,  is not a sound development practice.

2) Because a quiz may be used solely for learning purposes instead of assessment.   Repetition is known to be effective is helping people to learn and retain information - yes exercising the memory if you like, so repeated questions will help reinforce certain elements of a course and help the learner remember them.

Having said that,  as I said in another post, what Tim proposes is a good enhancement, but I agree with Itamar that it should be added as an option to maintain backward compatibility.    

Graham Moir yanıt olarak

I'm completely with Graham Moir here. Everyone is I think in favour of this elegant new facility. Adding something to the UI to make it optional is what Itamar suggested and seems a small price to pay for the maintenance of backwards compatibility and retention of functionality that would otherwise be lost. It isn't practical to suggest that managers could reverse the change with a code mod - since this would have to be institution-wide, and different people may have different wants. Tim asked for an option wording. How about : Random questions are selected from : / all questions in a category / questions not seen (or least seen) in previous attempts

yazan Marcus Green -

"Adding something to the UI to make it optional is what Itamar suggested and seems a small price to pay for the maintenance of backwards compatibility and retention of functionality that would otherwise be lost."

I think such a UI feature should be well hidden from the average user as the Quiz interface is quite crowded enough.

Graham Moir yanıt olarak

yazan Marcus Green -

"Because a quiz may be used solely for learning purposes instead of assessment.   Repetition is known to be effective is helping people to learn and retain information - yes exercising the memory if you like, so repeated questions will help reinforce certain elements of a course and help the learner remember them."

As I mentioned, I have always used quizzes for learning and never for assessment*. My students complained bitterly at the repeated questions which is why I stopped using random questions. 

So I have personal experience of students complaining about repeated questions. Does anyone have experience of students being pleased they get a chance to do the same question again on a later attempt at a quiz.

I can imagine if you had a large question bank that was used over a long period of time then the possibility of repeated questions might be less annoying.

(*I would browse the results and use the responses to inform my future teaching)

yazan Ray Morris -

Does anyone have experience of students being pleased they get a chance to do the same question again on a later attempt at a quiz.

Yes, with me being the student.  Think flash cards.

It is good when I need to remember the answer to that question.  Much like flash cards, I suppose.  I kept going through the quiz as practice until I remembered the information.  This is of course useful primarily for things that need to be memorized, rather than for these that only need to be understood.  One recent example is one that needed to be both understood and memorized - the normal forms of relational databases.  I already understood WHY transitive dependencies should be removed; repetition helped me memorize that's THIRD normal form, not second or fourth.

Ray Morris yanıt olarak

yazan Marcus Green -

Does anyone have experience of students being pleased they get a chance to do the same question again on a later attempt at a quiz.

I guess I should have added "before they have seen the other questions", clearly seeing the same question again is not a bad thing in itself, but it is if you have not seen as many of the other questions as possible first.  I believe most quizzes have small numbers of questions and so repeating questions before the students have seen the others is frustrating. To go back to the flash card analogy, imagine you had a deck of fifty, you shuffle them and then select the first 10. Then you do it again and 8 are the same, probably not what you want.

Graham Moir yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -

Every time we fix a bug or make an improvement, we make a change that is not backwards-compatible.

We should not add an option every time.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

But Tim, surely you can't deem this a bug. As I understand it, the code has always performed a straightforward function exactly as described. The new code does something different and trickier - certainly better for some purposes, but incapable of doing some things people may like, which the old code permitted.

I gave an example in my link for Dawn. I considered the principle so valuable I gave it a particularly simple implementation in my software (a command to select m at random out of each n Qs in what follows). In the example, each Q is randomly selected from a pair of similar Qs with different answers. This forces careful thinking about the issue at stake in the Q, when a similar Q but not necessarily identical Q is seen on a repeat attempt. The example that Dawn said she got wrong was:  "Is the underlined word in this sentence ('effect' or 'affect') correctly spelled?"). A random pick out of 2 could be set up in 2.8, but in 2.9 (as planned) a student would see different versions of the Q that would alternate in successive attempts. The almost irresistible instinct is then simply to think "I remember I thought it was OK last time and got it wrong, so this time it must actually be OK"). Just the sort of thing we don't want students to do. So far as I can see, you couldn't get round this under the proposed changes.  I have no idea how many uses people make of this kind of functionality at present in Moodle, but since it is in principle useful, I can't see the point in suddenly taking it away.

yazan Marcus Green -

"But Tim, surely you can't deem this a bug. As I understand it, the code has always performed a straightforward function exactly as described"

I consider it a bug because it does not work as people expect (as confirmed by Joshuas experience) . And for my own experience the current functioning means I simply never used random questions.

yazan ryan sanders -
the situation is this....

• some want to just do it. and be done with it. 
  • some want more, but are ugly at more UI (user interface) options.
  • some want more, but kinda *shrug* at additional user interface. 

===================

http://demo.moodle.net => login as admin.  -> course pre made -> add a quiz -> "question behavior" -> each attempt builds on the last

if each attempt builds on last. then i would assume. wrong questions, along with questions not already seen would show up. 

if "each attempt builds on the last" was set to "no". i would assume, "purely random"

assumption... above is "build on last attempt"

===================

but there is also http://demo.moodle.net => login as admin.  -> course pre made -> add a quiz -> ""EXTRA restrictions on attempts""

this sounds like a better area. to place... "full random without repeats",  and "full random with repeats"

errr i should say....

1. full random without repeats (all) = if you have 100 questions in bank, and quiz = 24, then on 5th attempt 4 new questions, and rest will begin showing repeats randomly, and random then on out. 
  2. full random (all) = every attempt is randomized same questions already shown can be seen on any attempt.
  3. partial random (insert a number) = 0 or blank = no repeats, till all questions used up in question bank, 1 to 9999 = questions that could show up as repeats. 
  4. partial random (insert percent) = 0 or blank = no repeats, 001 to 999 = chance questions already shown will show up.  

having the first 2 options above = making way for 3 and 4 options later on down the road. 

===================

http://demo.moodle.net => login as admin.  -> course pre made -> add a quiz ->

i am for more user interface "seriously"  i have 5 screens full of "options" already, when all the menus are clicked to open up. what is one more option going to hurt?!? there is already a spot made for it "extera restrictions on attempts"

i am for being able to adjust amount of "possible questions already shown in previous attempt"  not just full random, and/or what has not already been shown to student on previous attempts. (black/white) but some gray middle ground. 

gray middle ground = gamification. heck it = generic script for a game. being able to adjust not "complete random" but within a +/- coefficient. 

EXAMPLE....if i have the following....

A) question bank = 13 questions about apples

B) question bank = 5 questions about oranges

C) question bank = 20 questions about bananas

D) question bank = 30 questions about strawberries

if i pulled in following for a quiz

6 questions from (A)

5 questions from (B)

7 questions from (C)

4 questions from (D)

22 = questions per attempt.

first attempt all good. = 22 new questions

2nd attempt = 18 new questions 4 repeats

A = all good (no repeats yet)

B = all repeats

C = all good (no repeats yet)

D = all good (no repeats yet)

3rd attempt = 16 new questions + 6 repeats

A = 1 new question rest repeats

B = all repeats

C = all new questions but 1 repeat

D = all good  ( no repeats yet)

4th attempt = 4 new questions 18 repeated questions

A = all repeats

B = all repeats

C = all repeats

D = all good (no repeats yet

==========================

OR different way.... ((full random without repeats))

all question banks are added up. for a total of 68 questions. that could show up in a 22 question quiz.

the 4th attempt the almost entire quiz would begin to be repeats.  1, 2, and 3rd attempts would all have new questions.

=========================

OR different way...((full random with repeats))

all question banks are added up. for a total of 68 questions. that could show up in a 22 question quiz.

2nd attempt on... it is completely random if a student gets repeats or not. 

OR different way... ((partial random, there is a percent chance if question already been seen, it may get selected))

if percent was set to ""50 percent""  then...

2nd attempt is more likely going to have most chance to see new questions not yet seen.

3rd attempt getting iffy, "running out of questions already seen" 

4th attempt only a handful of questions not yet seen if random was playing in favor of showing not yet seen questions

5th attempt fairly good chance entire quiz = repeats..

===========================

OR different way... ((partial random percent chance "per bank"))

if percent chance was set to ""50 percent""

A) bank had 5 questions

B) bank had 10 questions

C) bank had 20 questions

D) bank had 100 questions

quiz = 25 questions. = 3 from (A), 2 from (B), 5 from (C), and 15 from (D)

each attempt is tracked and checked against per bank of questions. 

perhaps A) bank are easy questions. (teacher not wanting to manually grade a bunch of essay questions)

perhaps B) bank = single short sentence for answers

perhaps C) bank = written out single word for answers

perhaps D) bank = multi choice questions

QUICK EDIT:

inserting... percent chance. "wrong answers"  show up as repeats, and not just new questions. as a possible option.

NOTE: kinda building up to a "select menu" much like the "question behaviers" selection menu... tim doing with UI. just initial start perhaps?

with above all said. i am for Tim's original notation. i would like to have an option though, within the UI.  it opens things up "foot in door" so to speak for more advance things.   i honestly do not know how to name it. (leave it in developers / coder hands) call it good enough and move on. 

and yes i want more... at moment i see questions / quiz as almost creating a game setup, but just not there yet. missing some details for a more advanced big game. with monsters that and players that have lots of different stat types. and ways monsters err questions could be used and played. 

with above i am not a full time teacher / experience, and never have been. so i lack credit in above wants. 

yazan Tim Hunt -

I don't consider this a bug, which is why my post also talked about improvements.

A random pick out of 2 can still be set up in 2.9. I am sorry if I gave you the impression that part was changing. It is not. All the set-up side is exactly the same. It is only the detail of the exact process by which Moodle picks one real question to go in the place of each random question when you click Start attempt that is changing. (Which is why I described this as a subtle change.)

I merely used simple worked examples above where all the questions in the quiz were picked from one single question category because that most clearly illustrated what was changing.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

Tim, I don't think I misunderstand what you are implementing. Indeed I understand you can still set up a random pick out of 2 Qs in a category. The issue is about what happens on a second attempt, when as I understand it you will be bound to get the Q you hadn't seen on the first.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Gareth J Barnard -
Core developers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Plugin developers 'ın resmi

Hi Tim,

I think this is a good and sound idea as the student is tested upon the questions they are not so familiar with thus helping to broaden the scope of the test to encompass more of the subject area.  This of course depends on the nature and quality of the questions which is outside of the control of the system.  The system is just a tool that aids the educator.  So if the questions are bad, then 'garbage in - garbage out'.  And after all, Moodle (I suspect) was never designed to pass the Turing test, so up to the educator to fulfill that role.

In reading the implementation description, could a metric of 'questions got wrong' be used in repeat question selection?

Kind regards,

Gareth

Gareth J Barnard yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -

To answer that last question, the answer is 'No'.

Of course, if someone wanted to make an activity that used questions form the question bank, and implemented Spaced repetition, that would be cool. 

Of course, https://moodle.org/plugins/view/mod_qpractice exists, but is less sophisticated.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

Tim,

I am glad you mention qpractice in that thread, yesterday before going to bed I was reading again your very inspiring text http://tjhunt.blogspot.fr/2011/09/what-i-want-to-build-next.html 

Maybe part of the problem here is that we are stretching quiz to do a lot of very different things.

Maybe it would be best if we had a different tool for some of these uses.

I think qpractice has only scratched the surface of what could be a new tool specifically devoted to some aspects of learning with questions practice. This is not an offence to Jayesh's work to build qpractice, he was an excellent student during GSOC 2013, and it quite understandable a fully featured activity can't be created in just 2 months.

Of course in such a tool repeating questions make a lot more sense, and repeating the questions that the student got wrong is even more interesting.

Now that lesson is down to around 100 open tracker issues, and given  I will only have a few courses for my last year as a teacher in 2015-2016 maybe this is one of the things I could work on (another recent post also remind me that refactoring questions import would also be a good project for the future) ?

yazan dawn alderson -

Morning,

First, I am reluctant to post because I don't know how helpful it is to continue with such discussions at this juncture-it feels like a  stalemate. However, in these circs, it can be useful to condsider the bigger picture in view of the detail.

Jean, when you say:

I think qpractice has only scratched the surface of what could be a new tool specifically devoted to some aspects of learning with questions practice.

With respect, I think this warrants a new thread, I am not sure it is helpful given the title of this thread, I stand to be corrected, of course.

So, big picture:

1. I wonder if there is a newly discovered loophole here, in as much as a) what criteria meets a benchmark for default, or otherwise (...b) what qualifies as optional?).

2.  These two items are important for two reasons:

A.  users using run-of-the-mill LMSs in general do not have choices-OK quiz perhaps not in that bracket-but hopefully you get what I am on about?

B. Moodle offers choice for its users, and this is its hallmark

So it goes, in making decisions about those items, impact needs to be considered in view of 1&2 above

Now, we know Tim has followed protocol to the nth degree and the end-point of that process is decision making time, and we know that falls with Martin. 

As I say, I don't know if this is helpful, but a decision needs to be made, and it may be that there needs to be some compromises somewhere.      

yazan Joshua Bragg -

Jean-Michel,

If you're going to adopt QPractice to make it more full featured I for one would be really excited.  I haven't used QPractice much at all simply because I didn't want to grow to depend on it if its not going to be maintained and supported. This would be huge for me.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Douglas Broad -

Tim,

I support the change.  I only read about halfway through the thread but feel your changes are better than the existing state.  If someone wants more repetition of particular questions, it is still extremely easy to accomplish.

I have often wished that students would see a wider variety of questions.

The repetitive attempts will have  a semi-random approach though, so some documentation should be available explaining it.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Joshua Bragg -

I feel like I've been lurking for the past 6 months as things have been quite busy for me but I've been watching this discussion with interest.  When Tim first posted it my thought was "That's a nice switch but not terribly important."  I would have never guessed such discussion on such a subtle change.  Let me state from the outset that this is a good change and I don't see any reason to make it an option since it will just clutter the UI and make it harder to explain to a new teacher. 

I'm a teacher, the server sys admin, the Moodle admin, and the trainer for my school.  When I'm training new teachers on this I always make a point to mention that question selection is just random and will repeat questions as a result.  Teachers are always somewhat surprised by that as they naturally expect that it wouldn't repeat.  Once its explained, they really don't care anymore but it surprises them at first.  When I train teachers on quizzes it already takes for ever and requires lots of follow up.  Adding more options is not a good choice. I did ask a few teachers about this yesterday and they all thought that not repeating questions would be preferable in general.  Let me be even more explicit here:  The current behavior is not intuitive and is unexpected for a new teacher.  Just because we have all become used to it does not mean that it should continue to be so.  I think we all should remember that we're the people deeply invested in *exactly* how Moodle works.  The "normal" teacher would think that the current system is less desirable.

I give a number of different quizzes in Moodle that use random questions.  All of them are formative in nature rather than summative.  I do all my summative assessment in class.  I think its obvious that summative assessments should not have repeated questions when possible so I'll confine my comments to formative assessments.

Most of these formative assessments are very short (1-3 questions) quizzes with appropriately short time limits.  Students have two attempts on each of these quizzes and they're designed to give students feedback on if they have practiced to the point of automaticity or not.  In this context, repeated questions are very bad because the only question on the quiz could be a repeat and that defeats the purpose of testing for automaticity.  I generally have as many as 20 variations on many of these quizzes to minimize the repetition but it still happens.

My other formative assessments are really more of practice assignments for students before the unit test. I have a huge bank of multiple choice questions that I got from an external source.  It is grouped into categories and there are typically at least 10 variants in each category.  The quiz is designed to pull one question from each category.  It is rare for any student to do more than two attempts at one of those quizzes and the most that I've ever seen is 4.  Repetition in that context is annoying to students because they want new and different questions to practice their skills on.  They intuitively expect that they will not see the same questions later on their summative assessments and want to make sure they can appropriately transfer their skills to new and different questions.  Just for data's sake, I just surveyed a class of my students and presented the options.  Of the 29 students, 2 preferred the current behavior, 22 preferred Tim's proposal, and 5 didn't care.  I'd call that a resounding endorsement of Tim's proposal.

For those of you who want repetition, you can easily export and then reimport the questions to duplicate them all.  That way they can still be repeated.  I'll admit that's not the most easily maintained solution but it would work.

This also solves another semi-frequent request around these parts: the ability to repeat the same calculated question with different numbers.  Now they can put a single calculated question in a category and pull a random question from it as many times as they like.  This would be particularly advantageous for complicated questions like STACK questions.  They'll have to add a random question one by one each time but it would work.

So to summarize:

• This change is more intuitive for new teachers.
  • A UI change to add an option would make the situation worse for new teachers.  It requires more training rather than making it easy.  
  • There are still ways to repeat questions if you're really attached to the way things work.
  • This really is a very small change in terms of student experience but it is a better one.

Tim, you have my hearty +1.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Ralf Hilgenstock -
Core developers 'ın resmi Particularly helpful Moodlers 'ın resmi Translators 'ın resmi

Hi Tim

This is a great improvement idea that was often asked by clients.

One more suggestion that can be implemented in this change.

If the random process selects a question that was answered in a previous attempt a question that was answered incorrect should be selected by priority. 

Ralf

Ralf Hilgenstock yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -

Nice idea Ralph. Sadly, too difficult (== computationally expensive) to do, I think.

Perhaps someone can try to do that in the future.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan dawn alderson -

Hi,

OK.  Summary/synthesis and my *point (the one I that might still remain).

Tim began with the following key items:

A question category containing 10 questions, and you build a quiz that picks 5 random questions from that category. Well, with the proposed change, in the second attempt, they would be guaranteed to get the other five questions. Hopefully, everyone agrees that this is a good change.

After my changes, it will work, but the quiz attempt will have one of the two questions repeated. That is the quiz attempt will look like A, B, A, or B, A, B. I think that that is not any worse than the way it works now, and arguably it is better. For example questions A and B might be random questions that each have 10 datasets, so in fact students are likely to see something different for each instance of A or B.

Theseare the numbers for Tim's change:

1. Emma

2. Joseph

3. Dawn

·9 votes and 13 watchers on MDL-6340.

4. Marcus

5. Ray

6. Jean M

7. Gareth

8. Douglas Broad

9. Joshua

10. Ralph

There are 5 against the default setting and their reasons follow:

1. Itamar: default may deflate the important learning strategy of repetition. For me the issue at stake here is not to lose a certain instructional strategy.  Alternatively ,at minimum I need a backend config setting at the quiz level. I can then write a local plugin that will provide the UI for setting it on/off.

2. Tony: If people want successive attempts at a quiz to show 5 different Qs out of a set of 10, then the sensible thing surely is to divide the quiz in two, 

Tony with the utmost respect my *point now follows:

The example of repetition in that Quiz did not include questions that were the same.  But, I get it that the premise on which those questions were built reminds me of the type used in Language teaching and a need for repetition.  However, as a learner, in taking that quiz, the repetition actually put me off!  And having the answer first time only to expect me to hold on to that answer or copy and paste it as an aid memoir, perhaps in order to get the next attempt right-well it all felt a bit like machine learning- lack of context and meaning-a bit robotic.  So, I didn't feel the learning value in the application. Thus, I switched off. I can Google effect/affect next time i need to use one or t'other when I am writing in context.  Further, if this does have implications, on the other hand for language teaching, then surely this would have come up before in the forums.  

3. Graham: removing backward compatibility is always a bad choice.

4. Ryan: pedagogical purposes need more consideration

5. Rick:  I, like Itamar, will use a question bank for homework, where I allow repetitions.  Then, I use the same question bank for a one-attempt "exam."

Tim then posted:

A random pick out of 2 can still be set up in 2.9. I am sorry if I gave you the impression that part was changing. It is not. All the set-up side is exactly the same. It is only the detail of the exact process by which Moodle picks one real question to go in the place of each random question when you click Start attempt that is changing. (Which is why I described this as a subtle change.)

I merely used simple worked examples above where all the questions in the quiz were picked from one single question category because that most clearly illustrated what was changing.

On the periphery of discussions, there was reference to QPractice

Dawn, I think you only did that quiz once. It doesn't have repeated questions in it. The repetitions we are talking about will only be an issue if you take it again now. In particular, you will then be asked either in the same way or in a complementary way to make judgements on the two questions you got wrong last time.

yazan dawn alderson -

Tony, hi

sorry for the delay with my response.  I know Tony, I am going to be honest, once was quite enough for me, and I have laid out my reasons for that type of learning in terms of what works for me-I need context/meaning with English language exercises- not repetition, but as I said before a student learning EAL might find that type of repetition useful, you know study things closely having studied a sample of contexts and related meaning of words-in a prior session...this is known as (self-identified) miscue analysis.

Anyway, all

It seems to me, given this thread has been running over a number of days, we may well be heading for the 100 mark...last time I hit one of those was with a chap called Guillermo, I think, in the Lounge.  

Can I be pragmatic, for a moment please?   There are a number of days left before code-freeze, that means this thread can possibly build up to an eventual 50-50 for and against default...and I am sure Tim can work out the odds on that! ;)  

So, say that happens, you know -as more and more people engage with the thread. We then have a stalemate in terms of for-/against- default (numbers-wise).

What else do we have?  

A. We have knowledge of...implications from data/usage...ramifications in terms of pedagogy/L&T/ Instructional design and so on.

Now, Tim has stated he is aware of what is going on in practice because of A and that is what supports his rationale for the default change (if not wholly/in part).

B. We have Itamar who may be able to get data to support his optional stance and it might be that Tony is able to do so too?   

If we can have further information for B to support optional, then I think this would be a very good counter-argument.   

yazan Ray Morris -

A little PS, it IS still random.

Suppose I'm getting dressed, and my wife is sleeping so I leave the light turned off.  

I want to wear blue socks, but can't see whether the socks in the drawer are blue or black.

I RANDOMLY choose two socks from the drawer and carry them over to the night light.

I see that they are not blue.

I return to the drawer and RANDOMLY choose two more socks and check them.

I keep doing this until a find two blue socks.
After I get the blue socks, I return all of the black socks to the drawer.

Note it would be silly of me to put the black socks back in the drawer before randomly choosing another sock to check.  It's smarter to randomly choose from the socks that might be blue - the socks still in the drawer.

Note because it is dark and I can't see the socks, I would be RANDOMLY choosing socks from the drawer.  The fact that I'm not also including the socks already in my hand doesn't make it non-random.  It's randomly selected from the drawer , not from all of the socks in the whole world.  If you say "it's not random because you don't include the socks picked previously", that's precisely the same as saying "it's not random because you don't include your neighbor's socks".  It is random - a random selection from the socks remaining in the drawer.  The fact that other socks exist in other countries doesn't matter.

The new implementation of random questions is the same.  It's absolutely random, Tim is just changing the pool from which one is randomly chosen.

Ray Morris yanıt olarak

yazan Rick Jerz -

Ray, I like your example, but I would use this to not support the proposed change.

I am one who believes that randomness means that you cannot use a method to get what you want.  

This is why I would like the option of picking either method.  There are times where I might not want a student to keep repeating a quiz until they "get every question" in the question bank.  However, there may be times where I do want this.  This simply is an issue of whether (as Jean-Michel said) you do or do not want replacement.

Maybe a better example is a deck of cards and the game of Blackjack (which I am not an expert at.)  In this game, as I recall, it is not done "without replacement." One continues removing card until the entire deck is depleted. So then next hand already knows what the previous hands were.  But one might want to play this game where the cards are always first put back into the deck of 52 cards.  The current Moodle method is "random with replacement", while the proposed change is "random without replacement."  Both methods are valid, but one should not be the only choice (meaning every possible game of cards will be done without replacement.)  The probabilities are different between these two methods.

I really see the need for both methods.  Tim has the code for both, but this is not to say that he has the logic, or complete code, to integrate both methods.  I do appreciate how hard programming is, and I am not going to ever imply that this is an easy fix.  Tim has, and continues to be, one of the best thinkers with quizzing (and coding).  I don't mind seeing another option in the quiz interface (while creating a quiz), especially if I can pre-configure the defaults that I want.  I already do this for options like "Layout new page = Never, all questions on one page".  It is hard to count how many options are already available, but it might be greater than 50, so I have no problem with another one.

Tim's work on this feature is really progressive.  I can't believe that we are so close to having (again, many more) features that do not exist in competing products.

Rick Jerz yanıt olarak

yazan Marcus Green -

Rick, I didn't understand when you said replacement, you meant "to put back in the selectable group", (it's not that your use of the term is unclear, but for some reason I did not get the meaning it at first).

I agree work is very progressive, and it is great that people are so keen to debate it so articulately and in so much detail.

yazan Rick Jerz -

Marcus, see Jean-Michel's discription (above/earlier) on Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 9:03 PM.

Yes, "replacement" means "put back into the original group."  This language, although seeming a little odd, is the way statisticians talk.  (I am not a statistician, however.)

yazan Rick Jerz -

I am not against Tim's proposed changes (and voted for it). I am just saying that I would prefer an option to go either way, if at all possible.  Yes, an option could add complexity for some (i.e., one more option when creating the quiz features,) but I always prefer more "power."

Tim's improvement will cause me to have to rethink what I do.  But this is good thinking, not bad.  Just a little more work.

(Tim, I am still working on some of the questions that you asked in your reply.  Hopefully, coming soon.)

Rick Jerz yanıt olarak

yazan Samuel Witzig -

I might arrive a bit late in this discussion, but I would like to add (maybe repeat) some arguments in favour/against the change (my point of view: working as an e-learning guy at a university with about 6000 courses and a large number of quizzes on Mooodle):

In favour of the change:

• In the past years, the request for the change you propose Tim has popped up a few times, so I guess this is a need at our university for at least some of the lecturers.
  • From a didactical point of view, I guess it makes more sense if all the questions have been used once before the questions are repeated.

against the change:

• as already pointed out, I think that the change would move the question type away from a true random question, it would work more like a "pseudo random question". I personally think that a true random type question needs to allow questions to be repeated, even if not all other questions have been "used up" (when I throw the dice, I maybe get a 6 twice repeated).
  • Only a minority of the lecturers have asked for this change. The large majority has not mentioned the request and works perfectly well with the current type of random question.

I personally would like to have a option in the quiz settings for the random questions to work as "pseudo random questions". However, the quiz module has already such a large number of options, which makes the quiz module for a number of lecturers more difficult to use (usability aspects) . I therefore have some doubts whether another option is a good idea.

sorry for not voting in favour or against the change right now. I think this question is not as easy to answer for me as I thought...

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Jonathan Ariail -

I was just thinking a few days ago that this would be a fantastic addition to Moodle quizzes. I depend on the random question ability a lot for my classes, and having the option to force unused questions to appear would go a long way towards the uniqueness of each quiz attempt.

I do agree with the others who suggest that this should be an optional setting inside of the quiz settings. I can see situations where having complete randomness (current ability) would be better, and other situations where the proposed ability would be useful.

I've done lots of reading on this site and I've been using Moodle heavily for my courses for about two years, but this proposal was enough to make me establish an account, vote for it on the tracker, and comment here.

The Moodle community is awesome, and teachers like me owe everyone here lots of thanks!

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Tim Hunt -

I have just tried to summarise this whole thread in a comment on the tracker issue:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6340?focusedCommentId=347227&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-347227

Hopefully that seems fair. If not, probably best to continue the discussion here, not in the tracker.

I am still interested in any data about how often students actually repeat random quizzes, whether or not it affects the outcome of that tracker issue.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

This issue is about whether simple randomization should be retained as an option, not about whether the new option is good or bad. Nobody has suggested it is bad, only that a good facility should not disappear. I personally wouldn't use randomization the way a lot of people seem to, but given that they do, then the new option would certainly be worthwhile.

If I want students to be able to see all Qs on a topic, then I index them and give students access under their own control. Students do often repeat sections. Done selectively and in moderation, I see this as good. I don't see the point of using random selection rather than student selection as part of this (so I don't have relevant data), but if people see a benefit then yes, they will likely prefer random selection without replacement.

The way I mainly use random selection looks at risk of disappearing in Moodle 2.9 - a means to vary a Q on repeat attempts unpredictably, between a small number of subtle variants - thus forcing the student to read every Q carefully and think about the issue rather than rote learn. This is a bit like the much valued facility to use random variables in calculation questions, but in a text-based context. For example:
  either: The 'Euro Area' means the set of EU countries committed to the Euro as sole legal tender (T/F?)
  or: The 'Euro Area' means the set of countries in which the Euro is legal tender (T/F?)
Doubtless one could try to rejig one's quizzes and learning objectives in other ways. But why?

Clutter of the UI is a separate issue. Yes, primary options need to be upfront and simple, but 'advanced' options (seldom used or requiring care, or access to documentation, etc.) can if necessary be relegated to an expandable dropdown box, like many 'advanced' options in Windows.

yazan Graham Moir -

"This issue is about whether simple randomization should be retained as an option, not about whether the new option is good or bad. Nobody has suggested it is bad, only that a good facility should not disappear."

Totally agree.

yazan Itamar Tzadok -

Sadly the point that no one really objects the new feature but rather the odd and irrelevant development decision to drop the current behavior has been deliberatly obscured and even distorted by those who for some odder reason object to preserving the current behavior despite the fact that it is being used effectively. This is going to be an unfortunate moment in Moodle releases. gülüyor

yazan Marcus Green -

For me cluttering the interface is far more of an issue than keeping or dropping the feature. The feature can be kept but the interface to turn it on and off should be well hidden*. It is rare to hear Moodle criticised for lack of features/power but very common to hear it criticised for being too complex for "ordinary people".  For most people an excessively complex interface is not a challenge, it just means that "the software doesn't work"

*Ideally in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Douglas Broad -

For the most part, my students may be allowed to retake for-credit quizzes once or twice.  Practice quizzes can be retaken any number of times but very few will retake a quiz more than 3 times.

Tim Hunt yanıt olarak

yazan Joshua Bragg -

The continued life of this discussion has reminded me of the following XKCD comic.

workflow XKCD comic

https://xkcd.com/1172/

I was going to try to avoid being snarky, but couldn't stop myself.  gülüyor

Joshua Bragg yanıt olarak

yazan Marcus Green -

That's amusing not snarky

yazan dawn alderson -

I see,

this:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6340?focusedCommentId=347227&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-347227

appears to summarise things really well.  Assuming this is the final count down then...

shucks....am chuffed I got the 100th post.....don't ask why....I can't understand that myself-but important to me....so thanks for letting me have it! sırıtıyor 

yazan Marcus Green -

Anyone know what is the longest thread ever?

yazan Tim Hunt -

There is a thread near the top of the General plugins forum with 440 posts currently.