First time workshop user: Workshop seems to do nothing

First time workshop user: Workshop seems to do nothing

by Alex Walker -
Number of replies: 11

I'm sat here in a class of 20 pupils, they've all handed in their work to the workshop, but none has yet been given any work to assess.  I'm not sure why not and how I can make it give them work to look at.

• The submission and assessment dates are the same and we're within that time.
  • I've assessed some of the work myself to see if that makes it give them some.
  • I've set the over-allocation to 2 just in case it was waiting.

Still, it says on their screen that there's no submissions for them to assess.

Help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alex Walker

Re: First time workshop user: Workshop seems to do nothing

by Alex Walker -

Been looking through all the options and still can't see what I've done wrong.  Can anyone give me a basic guide to setting up a workshop or something, so I can check I've not missed something.

My students are still waiting!

In reply to Alex Walker

by Robert Brenstein -
Have you selected the correct phase? This has to be done manually as far as I know. Also, you can't use the group option.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Alex Walker -
Where can I select the phase?  I've set up the dates for the start & end of submissions and start & end of assessments... is there a button I click somewhere to start the whole thing off?
In reply to Alex Walker

by Robert Brenstein -
After you are done editing and save the changes, you should come to the admin page which displays the text (preamble) you entered and gives you options to set one of the 6 phases. Further below are links to deal with submissions and grading. The phase buttons are not true buttons but a tabbed (pseudo-tabbed) row of links with those behind being grayed out even though they are active.

by Alex Walker -
I can't see those buttons anywhere!

Here's screenshots of what I see:

When I click on the "GEA Leaflet" workshop...
Screen1

When I click on the Administration link, I get this at the top:
Screen 2

And at the bottom:
Screen 3

So no sign of those buttons, or am I looking in the wrong place still?

You said in an earlier post that "You can't use the group function".  I have that enabled for this course, is that what's causing this problem?  I've disabled it for this workshop and I still have the same problems... do I need it disabled before I allow assessments?  Why is the option there if it messes things up so badly?
In reply to Alex Walker

by Robert Brenstein -
Hmm, it seems we are using different versions of workshop module, so I can't help you further until next week when I install the newest moodle.

The problem with groups is general. Groups in moodle are meant as different cohorts of students not groups of students working as teams. (Someone has just recently given a detailed proposal to add team support to moodle but it is hard to say when that becomes actually available.) So the problem in my workshop was that when one student from a group uploaded an assignment, moodle waited for others to do the same and only the one who actually uploaded could see uploads from other groups.

I wonder how the groups are now handled in workshop.

by Alex Walker -
Ah ok, I wasn't using groups in that sense.  I use them as class groups.  All students submitted one bit of work, and I wanted them to be distributed amongst the students in the class (or group) but not to others in other classes (groups).

But yes, the team idea (or a more flexible group idea) would be good.  I'd like to be able to have teachers as members of multiple groups in one course for instance, but that's not for this forum...
In reply to Alex Walker

by Nic McPhee -
Has the problem magically fixed itself since your original post?  I'm guessing that what happened was that you had to wait for the editing period (30 minutes by default) to expire.  The workshop module doesn't distribute work until after that period of time has passed, presumably to allow the submitter a chance to delete and re-submit if there's a problem with the submission.  This makes it really awkward to run a workshop "in class", though.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nic McPhee

by Alex Walker -
Heh, OK, thanks for making me check that.  Yeah, its "magically" fixed it.

So to use this, you get them to submit one lesson and then peer assess next lesson.  It'd be nice to do it all-in-one, but hey.  I do have this class twice in a day twice a week, so I could at least have them assessing on the same day, if not in the same lesson.

Thanks!
In reply to Alex Walker

by John Blake -
I tried workshop for the first time this past week and was hoping to be able to have my students submit a current event report and to peer-assess two of their classmate's current events. I ran into the issue of after I assessed the their work, it was not showing up in their Moodle fast enough. We had our network administrator install a php accelerator program. I have no idea what he installed but when just 12 of my students were logged in, we experienced lots of lag time.

Bottom line, Alex's suggestion to have students submit on one day and then peer assess the next lesson is a great strategy. Thanks guys, and I will let you know if the new accelerator program helps with our network lag time. big grin
In reply to John Blake

by Rick Barnes -

This looks great! I could wait for the following lesson to assess work but other teachers will be using the same course at different times and synchonysing the use of the workshop would be almost impossible. I could change the times for my classes and so could some of the other staff, but I would prefer not to have the part time staff editing the courses. (any edits would/could mess up other groups schedules)

Has any one found a way around this.

I would love to set different times for different groups or even to remove the time options and use the manual option to move through the different stages.

Rick.