Incomplete journal posts

Incomplete journal posts

by Daniel Mikšík -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Translators
Some of the students at our department reported that sometimes only the first few words (exactly 351 characters - I counted them) of their journal posts get actually posted. As far as I can interpret the logs it seems that thay were not inactive too long to get automatically logged out, they were using both intranet and extranet computers, and RTE turned on; the secureforms setting was turned on. Any ideas? TIA.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Mikšík

Re: Incomplete journal posts. HELP!

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

We have the same problem at our University College, only our students can post something like 14 pages. If they try to write further, it won't save below that invisible limit. What can I do? The half good solution is to make another journal where they continue to write, but this is somewhat confusing to the users.

In reply to Stig Bjarne Haugen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Journals were intended to be used one per week ... each activity is an entry in the longer course journal (you can view them all one page using the Journal index).

14 pages for a single entry is WAY too much ... your feedback page will be unmanageable.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

That was my deepest fear... I think I'm død. Someone's gonna død me. Can I hide inside Moodle? blunk

Should this invisible limit be made more visible to the users? Now both students and teachers have no idea about this, and use it thereafter.

Any workaround? (The most obvious is of course to create more journals...)

In reply to Stig Bjarne Haugen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well, the plan is for the current journal functionality to become an "Online Assignment", and for Journals to be replaced by a Blog module - the structure should be more obvious then. 

I do mention the once-a-week thing in the help file for the Journal module as well as call it an "entry" but it's quite obvious no-one reads these things.  wink

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -
Well, I've read it. But you know - when I read something I don't like, I simply close my eyes and pretend it's not there... Or maybe I shall blame it on the 'blind spot' in my eyes? stort glis (You're the best!)

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

...and now I've read it again. It sais that "It's usually a good idea to have about one Journal activity per week." Nothing about any limitations. Exactly where in the system is this invisible limitation set? It would be really nice if the students at least got an error message that told them something like "Hey, you've written a lot, and maybe your teacher should've make another journal for you to write in by now..." blunk

More serious; the problem is that this limit isn't visible to any of the users (teachers nor students), and it doesn't produce any error messages when they write above it. Maybe in version 342 beta build 12.6565.3414? stort glis