'Students can see answers' setting being inconsistent

'Students can see answers' setting being inconsistent

by Sylvia Maciaszczyk -
Number of replies: 3
Hello everyone,
I have noticed that the setting: "students can see answers" (which means "correct answers" from what I can see) works differently depending  on the question type used in the quiz.
For example:
  1. If the question type is matching and "students can see answers" is on, then after students finish their quiz, they get  to see  which of the answers they gave are correct.
  2. If the question type is short answer  and "students can see answers "is on, then after students finish their quiz, they get to see what the correct answers to all questions are.  So they see a lot more than in the matching question.
Or am I doing something wrong?  I would prefer the setting to show the correct answers in all type of questions...so the students can learn from all types of questions.  Is there a way to fix it?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sylvia Maciaszczyk

Re: 'Students can see answers' setting being inconsistent

by Gustav W Delius -
I never noticed that but you are right, that should be fixed.

I have come up with the solution in the screenshot. Does anyone have a better idea of how to do it? Coding my solution is trivial.

One question type for which a solution is more difficult to design is the cloze question where the answer fields are embedded into the question text. In that case I guess we have to show the question once with the students answer filled in and once with the correct answer filled in.
Attachment matching.gif
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Sylvia Maciaszczyk -
Thanks Gustavsmile
Re: matching - looks great to me.
The only change I'd suggest concerns the terminology.  In the settings to the quiz there are two terms used:
  1. response (which is what students write)
  2. answer (which are correct answers written by teachers when buliding questions).
    My suggestion is :
  • to change the "answer" to "correct answer" in the settings to the quiz (to make it even more self-explanatory)
  • to change "your answer" in the screenshot above to "your response"(to stick to the differentiation bewteen "response" and "answer").
Re: cloze - the solution (by Gustav) sounds good too.  It will allow students to see correct answers in the context, which is great (esp important in language teaching).

In reply to Sylvia Maciaszczyk

by Sylvia Maciaszczyk -
Hello Gustav,
as I said before,  I think your solution would solve the problem.  Are you able / willing to code it, as you said.  I can't sad