Sesskey error when restoring commercial course content

Sesskey error when restoring commercial course content

by Nick Hodder -
Number of replies: 10

Hi everyone.

I am having a very frustrating issue with a new Moodle installation and have not yet been able to find an answer so have turned to the real experts for help. My Moodle knowledge is "average" so please forgive any glaring mistakes I may make.

I have just set up a new moodle installation on a new domain (via 1and1) and have used an auto-installer to do it. I work for a training company and we have been supplied a number of DVD's of resources, from Nelson Thornes (now part of Oxford Press) which have been designed, according to the packaging, as "For VLE".

The instructions within say to set a course, which I have done, and then to upload the DVD contents as a course restore. Everytime I try to do this I get the message "Error: A required parameter (sesskey) was missing".

I have followed lots of guides and have so far done the following without success:

Changed the php.ini contents to make upload_Max_filesize and post_max_size to 200M - The dvd says 180M is required.

Had the host, 1and1, confirm that the upload sizes have been changed to 200M

Tried to modify the htaccess file with no success at all.

I have run out of things to try and although I see references to certain settings in the php.ini file, mine doesn't have a great deal in it, which may or may not be the problem.

If anyone can help both I and our learners will be eternally grateful. Happy to provide whatever info is needed if you tell me what you need and how to get it.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Hodder

Re: Sesskey error when restoring commercial course content

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
As well as the file size php settings, there is also a timeout setting which I think you will need to alter (max_execution_time I think). Sounds as if that could be the problem.
In reply to Richard Oelmann

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Your course size must be bigger than 30MB? if this is the case, let me know, I'll walk you through, though PHP settings is the first place you'll be looking at, but with IIS, there are few more settings to do.

what is your PHP version used on IIS?

In reply to Usman Asar

In reply to Deleted user

by Usman Asar -

That's what I thought, that you must be sleeping as it was mid-night in Pakistan, anyway, I assume you've used PHP Manager to setup PHP?

go into PHP Manager > Set RunTime Limits

Maximum POST size : 350M

Upload Maximum File size: 345M

Maximum Execution Time : 300 (it's in seconds, so makes it 5 mins), however very unlikely IIS will take 5 mins for any task.

Save and go back to IIS management interface

Click Request Filtering

Once inside RF, click Edit Settings (shown as 1)

and then change value (at point 2) to something like 361758720 (equivalent to 354MB of Upload, as default is 28.9MB in Bytes) - or enter value that you think that your courses will be of maximum size (like 400MB - but do adjust upload limit in PHP runtime limits too)

Recycle your Application Pool, and you're done - respond back in either case if you're able to upload larger files or not.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Usman Asar

In reply to Deleted user

In reply to Deleted user

by Usman Asar -

OK, error is evident --> exceeded request timeout

on IIS Manager (Make sure you're in SERVER manager, and NOT site manager) as you wont be able to find FastCGI settings in Site Manager)

Once in FastCGI settings, lick EDIT (point 1) and make sure your activity and request time out are at 300 as pointed by POINT A and B

anything that gets BOLD, means it's default over ridden.

Now what had happened regarding duplication, it couldn't restore full course due to activity timeout, so when you restored again it duplicated activities. after changing values in request time out, delete the course, restore it as new course and see if shows issues again.

btw, why haven't you started using PHP 7? as you're using latest version of Moodle?

Also, I did asked you to write in your server hardware specifications (the new one), write them down as well.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Usman Asar

In reply to Nick Hodder

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can check your site php settings under Site Admin/Server/PHP Info.  This will let you verify that the settings have been reset. And check your timeouts..