Delivering training on Moodle using translation

Delivering training on Moodle using translation

by fabiana biasini -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

we are planning to deliver a Moodle course in Mongolia.

The trainer will be based in England, and will be speaking only English. All materials and instructions will be translated into Mongolian.

In fact, most participants are not English speakers, and will be working on the Wikis, in the Forum, and on the assignments in Mongolian. 

We were thinking of hiring a facilitator who can speak both Mongolian and English, and ask her at the end of the day to summarize the key points made by participants, and translate them into English for the trainer. 
A 6 hours difference would also allow her to translate the trainer's inputs before the participants meet the next day.

Have you ever had to address a similar language issue? If so, how did you do it?

Thank you so much!!

Fabiana

Average of ratings: -
In reply to fabiana biasini

Re: Delivering training on Moodle using translation

by john Simpson -

Surely you are not teaching English using such a method. Apart from an introduction in your 1st language, English is best taught English through English from beginner level.

In reply to john Simpson

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi John,

It doesn't look like they are teaching English - the issue here seems to be that the trainer is English and doesn't speak Mongolian, and the participants don't have a great command of English.

Using a translator to improve the feedback from the trainer is going to be essential here, and using the time difference to turn around the material will help, but this will be a tough task for the trainer.

The only suggestion I would make to the OP is to make sure that the translator is also very familiar with the subject matter.  If not, a lot of small but significant points could be missed which will make the trainer's job even harder, and the experience for the learners will be deprecated.

I always look for translators who have qualifications in the material they are working on - otherwise they are just translating words.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andy Chaplin

by john Simpson -

I do believe that as online courses continue to grow in demand internationally, there will be a growing need for course translators. For example, I'm British born giving English lessons in Russia and I wouldn't have had any success in my business without my Russian wife who is a linguist and an English to Russian translator.

There must be a heavy demand for professional course translators, and it's very important that you get this translation right.