2 Verified Bugs

2 Verified Bugs

by Matt Cromwell -
Number of replies: 4
I had a teacher who constantly was not able to post things to his classes forums. I would type out whole lengths and varieties of text and post it no problem, even with his computer AND his account. But when he would type at the same computer with the same account at the same forum he MIGHT get one sentence, but then nothing. He seemed gynxed.

But through a long trial and error and elimination process I found the two major reasons why he couldn't post things:
  1. the HTML editor doesn't seem to handle quotation marks that have been copied and pasted from Microsoft Word. I believe it has something to do with Word's "Smart Quotes" scripting. So anything that he typed after a quotation mark (including the quotation mark itself) was deleted.
  2. He was taught to type on an old typwriter and therefore believed that there should be a "double-space" after each period. Well, the HTML editor doesn't like that either. So anything he tpyed after a double-space was deleted.
I'm curious to see if others have the same problem. Just as a test here I will type a double space and attach a screen shot of what I typed here.

The next thing I will type now is a double space: if you can read this then my system has a problem which this system does not have and I'd like to know what the fix is
And here is a copy and pasted quote from MS Word: Here is a quote

I can see now (I've edited this post now twice). That both of these problems don't exist here on this system. But they certainly exist on mine. Any suggestions...
Attachment DoubleSpaceBug.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Cromwell

Re: 2 Verified Bugs

by Janne Mikkonen -
Well I can't make this happen in my own system either.
Could you give more details about this
- Browser version
- Client OS version
- Server type
- PHP version
- Apache or IIS
- Editor settings
- Moodle version used.

- Janne -
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Matt Cromwell -
Janne,
sorry it took so long to reply. I appreciate the help if possible. I have two classes up and running and I've spent the past two weeks tracking each student down to explain how they can avoid these two problems. But I'd rather just not have these problems at all!, so here's the info you asked about:
- Browser version: IE 6x AND Firefox
- Client OS version: Windows 98, ME, and XP
- Server Type: Win 2003 SP1
- PHP Version: 4.3.9
- Apache or IIS: IIS6
- Moodle version 1.5.2 Stable
- Editor Settings:
   htmleditor-- allow
   editorbackgroundcolor: #ffffff
   editorfontsize: 10pt
   editorwordkill: no
   aspellpath: {blank}
   editorspelling: {not available}
   hiding the following button -- subscript, superscript, search and replace, spell-check

Thanks again for any feedback.

by Jaime Alamo -
I also was taught to type  a "double-space" after each period,  each comma,  each semicolon, etc.  to have a more readable text.  I normally do it.  But I don´t get the problem you tell about.  May be,  something odd like that happened to me two years ago,  but I don't remember the browser I used (moodle could be 1.3 or so).

by Matt Cromwell -
UPDATE:
Thanks to A LOT of trial and error and A LOT of help from Janne Mikkonen we were able to destroy this bug!

Somehow, the combonation of a Win2003 IIS6 server and PHP 4.3.9 created this error. When we upgraded to PHP5 the problem was gone.

What was frustrating was that I know that there are plenty of PHP 4.3.9 users out there using Moodle and having no problems. But anyway, we're EXTATIC to not have to deal with the hundreds of student questions and complaints anymore (for that issue at least!)

Thanks to the MOODLE DISCUSSION FORUMS!! It's really a great service!