2014 Survey of Technology Enhanced Learning for higher education in the UK Survey Report/Outcomes

2014 Survey of Technology Enhanced Learning for higher education in the UK Survey Report/Outcomes

by dawn alderson -
Number of replies: 2

http://www.ucisa.ac.uk/~/media/groups/dsdg/Tel%202014%20Final%2018%20August.ashx

"Blackboard Learn is still the most used enterprise or institutional virtual learning environment (VLE), followed by Moodle, and both platforms have increased in usage as enterprise solutions since the 2012 Survey. Moodle remains the most commonly used VLE platform, when departmental /school implementations are also considered. Adoption of other commercial and open source platforms is negligible across the sector, although Canvas Instructure and Pearson eCollege (Learning Studio) are returned for the first time in the results. MOOC platforms have made little impression so far on TEL activity, with the FutureLearn platform the most commonly cited one in use, but only by eight institutions". (p.10)

This implies top-level decision making might contrast with what the practitioner finds more beneficial for L&T. I said, implication that is all.  But, a very interesting one at that. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to dawn alderson

Re: 2014 Survey of Technology Enhanced Learning for higher education in the UK Survey Report/Outcomes

by john Simpson -

You'd make a very good politician, in claiming statistics to suit your needs. I have made several searches in the past, and blackboard is way behind moodle as the most used system.

I think it's how you say it, and look at the small print to get it the way blackboard would want it to look.

However I do believe that moodle shouldn't be too complacent about their leadership in depending on a few large universities such as open university. It should be seeking out and assisting the growing independent users for its future growth in order to keep its leadership.