Email System

Email System

by Scott Autry -
Number of replies: 5

We'd like to set Moodle up on our server.  We aren't connected to the Internet for security reasons.  I'm guessing there is an internal email system within Moodle....?

I am also using iSpring QuizMaker full version to shift to computer-based testing.  If Moodle has an email setup upon installation, where can I find the default email address settings?  

I am thinking by putting Moodle on our server, and using default or other internal email address, I can have student test results collected from the 7 or 8 labs we have connected to the server...?  But I need to see what the email addresses are or the system, and I haven't located it so far...

iSpring allows for collected test-taker info input at the start that would help us keep track of the students and would be very useful if I can learn how to connect it with Moodle on our server...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Autry

Re: Email System

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you do not put anything in the email settings, Moodle uses by default a builtin smtp server which must be active on your machine.

Moodle does not create email addresses for students, they have to have email addresses.  You will need your own internal email server set up to provide students emails if that is how you are setting up.  Moodle does have a builtin messaging system that you could use with fake email addresses but students will need to login to see messages and you will get a huge amount of bounceback emails to the admin account email.

The email set up is found under plugins/messages/email.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Scott Autry -

Thanks.

We had a rare visit for a couple of hours from an IT guy.  I asked him about the possibilities.  He said our program could put in a request order and he would come back to setup an internal email server/database on our server.

It seems to me right now, the easiest way for us to take more advantage of iSpring's capabilities is to have the quiz email the results, and if Moodle has a built-in admin-email account to collect those, we could use our server for that in short order.

Then, if/when we are able to get the IT guy back for that specific workorder, and he sets up the internal email system, we can switch from manually inputting student members to self-enrollment like can do now on the online site after your help...

In looking at this, I'm bracketing the potential between the minimum use we can get out of it and how far we might be able to take it.

Thanks again for your help...

In reply to Scott Autry

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you set up iSpring as a scorm, the results will store automatically in Moodle and you can set it up to notify students.  Any messages will auto send to email if they are not logged in.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Scott Autry -
I need to test it.

Will it record all the data iSpring sends with it - like I'm guessing an email will have?

iSpring allows for customization of an initial quiz page in which we can have students put in the info we need to track them.  I was thinking that input would not be analyzed in the default Moodle quiz analyzer...

In reply to Scott Autry

by Emma Richardson -

Not sure - you will need to ask iSpring that.  Moodle will work with Scorm packages but not how much it will pull out.