To start, thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post.
Quick background about me: I am in IT and therefore familiar with setting up and configuring web technologies, though I am not a developer. I am new to Moodle. I have been googling for hours, and poring over the excellent Moodle documentation, yet I cannot figure out whether the business case that we are looking to achieve is possible without additional coding.
We want to set up Moodle so that departments are able to load their own training materials and make them available to their people; specifically, we would like a manager to be able to create a course(s) in Moodle and then add their staff as students to that course. Courses, course content and student creation is to be all self-managed by each department.
The challenge that we have is twofold:
- Managers/teachers/students must not be aware of other courses, students or teachers in the system (other than those in the current class). We want it to appear as if each department is accessing Moodle independently of all other departments. The only time that this might change would be if a company-wide course is made available to everyone.
- A type of billing occurs between departments. The decision has been made to set certain billing/student caps based on department size.
- Department purchases a course through Wordpress. Would they be "sold" an enrolment key based on department size?
- Manager is then granted access to Moodle (through SSO).
- Manager creates their course, adds their staff, uploads their content. Based on the enrolment key they are allowed to add up to a maximum number of staff/students.
- Staff are automatically emailed Moodle access information.
I have searched through plugins, read documentation, read through forum posts but I'm unable to see whether what we want to achieve is possible. Maybe it's a lot easier than I'm making it out to be and I'm just not able to see the forest through the trees?