Is there a student information system compatible with Moodle?

by Si Yan -
Number of replies: 11

An open-source one, such as OpenSIS. 

Or any plugin can be alternative Student Information System?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Si Yan

Re: Is there a student information system compatible with Moodle?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You might like to look at this

https://gibbonedu.org/

In reply to Marcus Green

回复: Re: Is there a student information system compatible with Moodle?

by Si Yan -

Thank you! It is really a good system. It would be better if there share it on Github. However, please inlight me that how is it compatible with Moodle? Such as import and export user, course information from Moodle?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Si Yan -

Thank you! It is really a good system. It would be better if there share it on Github. However, please inlight me that how is it compatible with Moodle? Such as import and export user, course information from Moodle?

Moreover, is there such a system that based on LAMP enviornment. To be specificly, Apache server, Mysql and PHP.

And multilingual one. Even is not multilingual,  language pack can be easily implemented.

In reply to Si Yan

by ben reynolds -

We have a homegrown SIS, and our programmer says he can connect to Moodle via web services, once we get to that version (either 2.7 or 2.8). How that works is beyond what I know/understand, but at that point we will be automatically uploading students from the SIS to Moodle.

That says to me that virtually any SIS will work.

In reply to ben reynolds

by dawn alderson -

I find this interesting for a number of reasons.

1. Asking large, very large institutions to change their Student Info System is, well, a big ask. To be very honest.

2. I know about SITS, and there was a plugin for 1.9 at one time:

https://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=4823

3. Am also aware of other systems used in HE, and my knowledge which might be limited, is as follows:

a) SIS integration with an LMS requires paid-for kit like Gateway-that does the integration work.

b) OS systems (and do remember my point 1. above) as suggested in this thread, integrate with moodle (also OS). 

I could be wrong, or out of date in my knowledge/understanding.

In reply to dawn alderson

by Si Yan -

Thanks a lot guys. This really helped me so much. I'm thinking about renew or create a whole new plugin of Moodle to be a SIS than can be used for small institutes, which has the most function of normal SIS.

In reply to Si Yan

Re: 回复: Re: Is there a student information system compatible with Moodle?

by dawn alderson -

out of small acorns grow.....large Oak trees...I think that is right smile

starting small is always a good plan.

D

In reply to dawn alderson

回复: Re: 回复: Re: Is there a student information system compatible with Moodle?

by Si Yan -
Currently, we have evaluated Gibbon and OpenSIS. Gibbon is a new and better looking one, however, it seems only one man is maintaining it. OpenSIS is a more stable one. Now, we are struggling with develop a plugin of Moodle to implement most SIS function, or make OpenSIS compatable with Moodle. Any advice? 

In reply to Si Yan

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Is there a student information system compatible with Moodle?

by Cam Kinoshita -

How is your progress? We are looking at a similar issue.

In reply to Cam Kinoshita

回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Is there a student information system compatible with Moodle?

by Si Yan -

Currently, we are facing a change. Much different from when I post this question here.

Like I said, I was looking for SIS, and then I narrow it down to OpenSIS, because it shares the same database with Moodle, Mysql, and it was based on PHP as well.

However, I think it takes more than changing the major look of OpenSIS. 

Now, we have a much more budget than we used to. Another more fancy look LMS has appeared to our sight, edX, to be specific, OpenedX. It is catching up very fast. Unforturenately, it was developed by Python. I didn't get into its database yet. However, if we decide to use that, I think it better combined with Fedena, which is also coded in Python. 

My point is, even we find our combination, it is still a long way to go. Let us share info. Add me into contact. Good luck!