Dataform presets

Dataform presets

by Jon Witts -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi all,

Are there any example Dataform presets available to download?

I am struggling with my views a little and feel that having a look at what some other people have done with this module may help me along.

thanks,

Jon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Witts

Re: Dataform presets

by Itamar Tzadok -

I will try to post a few presets over the weekend.

All view types are created with default templates. Certain issues such as opening an entry for details or for editing in a different view (b/c by default the edit option opens the entry for editing in the current view) have been discussed down the forum and you should be able to find details guidelines.

For other issues don't hesitate to post a specific question. The docs need to be improved and I'm waiting for the community to help with that.

hth smile

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks Itamar. I will have more of a look at things next week. Jon

by Maurice Moore -

i Itamar,

I'm impressed with your plugin - I think it will allow me to collect data from staff and lead towards awarding Badges.

One frustrating problem I have is with the Preset functionality. I'm able to create a Preset (local and site) and download it and upload it to a new instance. But after applying it, no fields or views are created.

System: Totara 2.7.2 (Moodle 2.7.7 (Build: 20150310)). Dataform version 2014111000.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a Preset from a functional Dataform 
  2. Create a new Dataform activity (same course or not). Save. 
  3. At "This dataform appears to be new.." prompt, click the "Apply a preset in the Presets section".
  4. If no Preset files listed, upload a file and then click "Apply".
  5. When Apply appears to complete - Check the fields and view tabs.

Expected results:

1. Preset created (attached copy to this post)
  2. New Dataform created
  3. Taken to Presets section
  4. Preset applied
  5. Copy of Fields and Views from preset in new Dataform.

Actual results:

1.-4. - as expected

5. No Fields or Views shown 

Checked permissions for admin user. Manage and View Presets set to Yes

I tried this in a Sandbox too (same versions) and got the same results. Both running on OS X Server 4 with PostGres DB.

____

Am I doing something dumb, or have I managed to corrupt this Dataform? There was nothing to indicate a problem. 

Are you able to help me understand what has gone wrong? 

Many thanks, Maurice

In reply to Maurice Moore

by Itamar Tzadok -

Do you have a test env. with 2.8 or 2.9? If a higher version work we can rule out a PG specific issue. smile

by Maurice Moore -

Hi Itamar,

I'm running the latest version of Totara which is always at least one behind Moodle. I managed to create a simple single field Dataform and use the default Views. The Preset then worked. But when I tried to create a custom view, it failed. I am able to duplicate so that is fine if I want to use the template in the same course.  I've yet to try a backup-restore to of the activity.

You refer to a PG issue. Can you point me towards the details for that? Is it an issue with a version of PG?

I'm using the OS X Server install as a sandbox to test the functionality of this and the latest Totara version. If we push this into production, it will be on a hosted system (Catalyst) which is Linux and Postgres.

Thanks for your time,

Maurice

by Maurice Moore -

Is this relevant?

When I attempt to do a course reset I get an error message:

Field "dataid" does not exist in table "dataform"

More information about this error

I've had a look in the database.

In table "dataform" I can see there is a field called "id" but not one called "dataid". There is a "dataid" field in table dataform_views

Thanks 

Maurice

by Itamar Tzadok -

Can you turn debugging on and post the trace? smile

by Maurice Moore -

Debugging turned on.

Created a new Dataform in a new topic. At prompt  

Clicked the Presets link and click the Apply (circled) button.

Web page reloaded (Safari) but NO debugging information displayed and no fields created. Dataform name not changed from 'test'.

System Log (Course name BAC - two attempts to apply presets made)

I have been using Debugging during development so I know that debugging messages do get displayed.

Thank you for your assistance.

Maurice

by Fritz Richter -
Hi Itamar,

I experience the same issue, when I try to export a preset WITHOUT user data

from a Moodle 2.6 to a Moodle 2.7

WITH user data it works.