more than 10 answers in a question: a problem

more than 10 answers in a question: a problem

by nik pap -
Number of replies: 9
Hi everybody,
I am not a programmer but I have managed to make a slight code change so that instead of given an option of up to 10 answers to a question I can now have 10.
I did that by changing the value of
    define("QUIZ_MAX_NUMBER_ANSWERS", "10");
to
     define("QUIZ_MAX_NUMBER_ANSWERS", "50");
in the file quiz/lib.php

Now I can insert 50 questions but when they are presented they are numbered as such: a,b,c,d.....z. when they reach the last letter of the alphabet they go on showing some annoying artifacts which I think are the next ASCII or UTF characters:

z. Απάντηση 26

{. Απάντηση 27

|. Απάντηση 28

}. Απάντηση 29

~. Απάντηση 30

. Απάντηση 31

. Απάντηση 32

�. Απάντηση 33

How can I correct this problem?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to nik pap

Re: more than 10 answers in a question: a problem

by nik pap -
let me add that i am greek and 'Απάντηση' means 'Reply'
In reply to nik pap

by Julian Sedding -
In the file /mod/quiz/questiontypes/multichoice/questiontype.php find the line "$qnumchar = chr(ord('a') + $key);" and replace it with "$qnumchar = multichoice_safe_chr($key);". Additionally define the function multichoice_safe_chr at the bottom of this file (before '?>'). A possible function could look like this:

function multichoice_safe_chr($num) {
$returnvalue = '';
if ($num > 25) {
$newnum = (($num - ($num % 26)) / 26) - 1;
$returnvalue .= multichoice_safe_chr($newnum);
}
$returnvalue .= chr(ord('a') + ($num % 26));
return $returnvalue;
}

The above will continue with 'aa', 'ab', ... after 'z'.

Julian
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Julian Sedding

by nik pap -
that was what i wanted. thanks

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Julian,

You might have noticed in a recent post there was a problem with the GIFT import format being restricted to 10 answers. Is this something for the to-do list to increase the number if editable answers from 10. There seems to be a steady number of people wanting more than that!
In reply to Howard Miller

by Julian Sedding -
Hi Howard,

I modified the match questiontype to display all defined answers plus one empty answer slot if QUIZ_MAX_NUMBER_ANSWERS (=10) is exceeded. E.g. if 10 answers are defined an additional 11th answer field is displayed. If you import a question with 30 answer (provided that gift relaxes this constraint) then 31 answer fields will be displayed.

Of course it would be ideal to provide a button on the editing page to add more answer fields, but that would envolve far more work and time.

Julian

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
So effectively I can simply take the check out of GIFT import and it will work fine?

I only just changed it to respect the constant big grin
In reply to Howard Miller

by Julian Sedding -
Right, I have made the same changes for multichoice and shortanswer as well now.

by Howard Miller -
I'm done.... checks taken out of GIFT format. All seems to work very nicely smile