We needed some way at our school to set up group assignments, i.e. one user uploads the file but all the members of his or her group "benefit" from the submission. Also, for the teacher we wanted to allow for group grading, i.e. assign the grade and give feedback only once for all the students in a group.
Here is our first shot at solving this issue, with some caveats:
- It works under 1.5.2+ as of today (Sept 13, 2005), and has only been moderately tested.
- It copies files from one user file area to the file areas of his or her colleagues. A more elegant way would probably consist of having group file areas so as to have only one copy of a submission on the disk, but ...
- Ignores teacher submissions
- Does not handle grading individuals who are not part of a group
The group assignment type relies on the groups defined in the course:
- When groups are defined in the course, the submissions are handled by using these groups.
- When no groups are defined in the course, the whole class is treated as a group. We have this case in projects with only few participants (3-5).
Maybe some of you might install this and try it out, comments are welcome. We plan to have it robust and usable by mid-october.