Limit self-enrollment with IMAP server authentication

Limit self-enrollment with IMAP server authentication

by Ronald Vyhmeister -
Number of replies: 3
<P>I am using the institution's IMAP server for user authentication.&nbsp; At the same time, I want to be able to create and enroll the students into courses, without the possibility of a student enrolling themselves into a course they don't belong in.</P>
<P>I have not figured out how to do this.&nbsp; Once I set IMAP authentication, I have no way of creating users.&nbsp; I realize I'm not creating them on the server, but I would like to create Moodle users.</P>
<P>Can someone please help me?</P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P>Ron</P>
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ronald Vyhmeister

Re: Limit self-enrollment with IMAP server authentication

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Ronald Vyhmeister -

Thanks for the pointers to the bulk enrollment... That should help...  I did notice that once I have selected POP3/IMAP authentication, I can't create users...  Can we allow [moodle] user creation, just no password expected as long as we're using external authentication?

Also, as long as I'm using external authentication, I can't stop users from creating themselves and enrolling themselves.

Thanks,

Ron

In reply to Ronald Vyhmeister

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You can put passwords (enrollment keys) on the courses to stop them enrolling. All you have to do then is find a way to tell each class what their enrollment key is (eg in a face-to-face class, or via email). You could even just tell them to contact the teacher to get it.