Gradebook Grades no showing for students...

Gradebook Grades no showing for students...

by Brian Pool -
Number of replies: 4
I thought I found this had happened to someone else but the post I found didn't seem to help.  I have grades entered for students and yet when they go to gradebook there is nothing there.  I do moodle enabled to view grades and I upgraded to version 1.5.2 today (newest release) to try and fix the problem.  I had read this fixed it for someone else.

Thanks,

Brian
In reply to Brian Pool

Re: Gradebook Grades no showing for students...

by Michael Penney -
More details would help:

You have grades entered in what module?
What do students see when they go to the gradebook?
Do you or have you used advanced settings? If so, what are the settings in View Preferences tab?

In reply to Michael Penney

Re: Gradebook Grades no showing for students...

by Brian Pool -

I have grades entered for Journals (they do bi-weekly PC Periodical reviews and submit them online as Jounrals,) Forums (they each have to post a set of notes or a lesson learned in class for their peers,) and Assignments.  I can see the grades fine but they can't... Break...

I think I got it!  I had the previous assignments hidden (and had said to included hidden items in the Gradebook Preferences.  But, it only worked for me and not them.  I assume this is a glitch????  When I unhid the items then you could see them as a student.  I pseudo-hid them by moving them down the list, and then selected to only have the first ten items shown.  They show up in the Gradebook now!

As a side, is there a plan to add grades for non-moodle activities to the Gradebook?  If teachers could do that then we could fully migrate to moodle as our gradebook software as well.  The only other item would be to add quarters onto the Gradebook.  That way a teacher could have separate grades and entries for separate quarters.

My school is looking (at my resistance) at eventually going with ProgressBook.  It allows parents to view student grades and assignments online so they can check on their progress.  Moodle is very close to becoming a free alternative that I think my leadership could live with.  ProgressBook cost local schools  $4 per student per year.  It is an ongoing cost I would like to avoid!

I look forward to continuing to Moodle!

In reply to Brian Pool

Hidden Assignments => hidden grading and weekly course format

by Thomas Eibel -
I've got the same problem. Thank's for describing this moodle-behaviour.

I use the weekly format and made elder tasks invisible, since my students lost their overview (when they did not show up at time). The problem is, that the grading is not included, when an assignment is hidden. I think, I can not pseudo-hide assignments, as I use the weekly format (?).
In my opinion, there is no sense in excluding hidden assignments from the overall grading, since I can do this in the categories menu with weighting an assignement as not categorized (weight 0).

Anyone else with this matter out there?
best regards,
thoma eibel
In reply to Thomas Eibel

Re: Hidden Assignments => hidden grading and weekly course format

by Michael Penney -

Why not just leave the idem visible, but don't allow students in past the due date?

Having hidden items behave one way in the course and another in the gradebook caused confusion in our testing.