Live video streaming

Re: joomdle recommendation

by deb chit -
Number of replies: 6

I know this is not joomdle. I need and not the forum. It is not friendly. A recommendation of someone or somewhere I can get info on joomdle so I can connect the joomla 3.4 site with my moodle 2.8

In reply to deb chit

Re: hello

by deb chit -

still need someone to help me post courses as I have them posted

and I am having trouble giving a user access please send help

how do you give a user access to a certain course?

In reply to deb chit

by Karthik Murali -

Hi

I am looking to stream Videos using Moodle. These Videos are in mp4 format and the size of each of these videos is about 300 MB ( average). I have been successful in doing the same, but the problem is that streaming these videos occupies too much bandwidth and is not permissible.

I am now looking to place the application (Moodle) in a central server and the videos in a different machine, and Source the videos by using the URL option under "Add a Resource". However, this seems complex as the videos are in mp4 format and not html.

I am unable to exercise the "embed" option (as in case of Youtube videos) in the description box for the same reason. Would embedding solve the bandwidth problem ? If yes, how can it be done?

Is there a viable solution to this problem without having to incorporate the videos in the application?  

In reply to Karthik Murali

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

"However, this seems complex as the videos are in mp4 format and not html."

When I do this, it works fine.  Why do you say it "seems complex"?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Murali,

keeping videos on a separate server (specially in your case as average size is 300MB) is a sensible decision.

you can, use a third party player like JWPlayer and make use of its code to embed in the Moodle, it wont be using embed video option, but a small code that is required to run JWPlayer inside moodle, the file URL will then be replaced by something like "http://videoserverIP/video.mp4".

Other recommended solution is using third party video streaming site, like Vimeo.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Karthik Murali -

Hi

Thanks for your inputs. I have explored the option of using a third party site , but here's the thing. I cannot expose the application to internet right now (for security purposes). Thus the complexity. I would like to know if these videos can be sourced from a separate server (intranet) without having to upload the video.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am now having difficulty assessing the situation, as you mentioned bandwidth constraints, and now you are mentioning "not exposing the application" to internet, so where is the bandwidth limitation coming from then?
yes you can run videos locally as well without uploading them to a server. but if you are offering videos globally, then don't call it intranet, it becomes internet.