Any easier ways to grade online text assignments?

Any easier ways to grade online text assignments?

by Dan Olson -
Number of replies: 4

Here is our challenge, and I wonder if anyone else is suffering through the same or has any suggestions: 

• We run 15 asynchronous courses and are on Moodle 2.8 (students enter and leave at will with no due dates)
  • Each course offers anywhere from 3-10 assignments , all using "online text" for submissions
  • All are set up to be graded via Rubric from a myriad of instructors. (To help standardize the grading.) 

Therefore, assignment submissions come in all the time from all over the place and need to be graded right away by any available instructor. 

Our problem is getting notified and not missing out on any new submissions. We're struggling to find an easy way to serve up new, ungraded assignments to instructors for grading.  

We have tried the "Ajax Marking" block and the "FN-Marking Manager" blocks with some success, but they also bring problems. Ajax Marking can miss assignments, and FN Marking Manager can only tell you ungraded assignments on a course home page (and also slows down the load time on the course homepage for teachers significantly). Also, neither of those plugins support 2.8.

It would be great if instructors could simply log in and see a single page that showed all ungraded assignments from all courses and lessons. Perhaps this is as simple as a SQL database query? Not sure. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone found a good solution or approach? 

Thanks!
Dan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Olson

Re: Any easier ways to grade online text assignments?

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Have you tried the Grade Me Block?

We use this at our school. It shows both submission and re-submissions of Assignments.

It's not always perfect either, but at least it shows which assignments have new submissions...

Grade Me 2.8

In reply to John Provasnik

by Dan Olson -

Hi John,

We have not tried that, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go. 

Dan

In reply to Dan Olson

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Dan,

The Grade Me block is great for what you want. Just be aware that the last few versions seems to have various problems with assignments. The latest release, 2.8.0.3 works for grading assignments as long as you go through the Grade Me block. If you try to go grade an assignment from the normal grade view page it is hit or miss with four possible results: go to the right person, go to wrong person, and two different debug messages. I see this behavior on three different Moodle 2.8.4 sites and get the same results after upgrading to 2.8.5. I have sent an email to the maintainer about it over the weekend, but have not heard anything back yet.

I am hoping to hear from anyone else who may be trying out the latest release of Grade Me to see if they have the same problems I am seeing.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Dan Olson -

We installed the Grade Me block last week and thus far it's working great. We're running 2.8 and have installed the block on the home page only. It seems to pick up all ungraded assignments without a problem. Also seems to be a very "lightweight" installation and doesn't slow the page down at all, which is nice. Kudos to the creators. 

Thanks everyone...

Dan