Role Assignments

Re: Role Assignments

by scott braithwaite -
Number of replies: 0

Hi colin 

The idea behind this is that different groups will be managed by different people but these people will also have access to some groups that they do not manage.

The product which have produced was to meet a specific goal and we had to provide categories where courses could sit, this is also using a custom layout, within each category would sit an advanced section which could not be accessed by students, the advanced user manager needs to access this however and they need specific privileges to different custom mods within this area, through the custom code (none of which is effecting core) they can then carry out the tasks needed.  Another part of the requirements for the site was to have blocks removed so the menu structure is not available for these users.  Each group would be managed by its own advanced user and designated managers. however the adv user needs to be able to make users managers or remove the role of manager from a user.

So the new roles worked for allowing the custom elements to restrict the users to the site.   However I took over working on this fresh to Moodle and after 15 months working on coding moodle I have come to realise that we have some poor practices implemented.  One we use roles instead of capabilities 2 we do not utilise as much of moodles functionality as we should be. 

So can this be done without ruining the moodle functionality and what is the best way to do this due to the need for dynamic code across the groups. 

As I said it works well for our custom elements of the site but I have notice only one problem at present that can cause us significant problems when an advanced user in one group but a student in another group can still see hidden elements of the course and potentially edit courses in different groups.

Hope this makes more sense as it is difficult to put the concept across in words.  My end goal here is to get this working but to try to utilise Moodle effectively at the same time.

Thanks in Advance

Scott