no negative scoring

no negative scoring

by Adrian Dusa -
Number of replies: 9

Hi all,

Different versions of Moodle change this behavior. What I'm looking after, in a multiple choice type of question, is to have zero points of any of the answers is incorrect.

Right now, Moodle gives negative scores to the wrong answers (a feature that I understand it was extremely requested)... but I would like to preserve the "old" behavior with <no> negative scoring (instead, zero points).

How can I do that in the most recent version of Moodle...?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Dusa

Re: no negative scoring

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The all or nothing question type might be of interest to you

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=qtype_multichoiceset

In reply to Marcus Green

by Adrian Dusa -

That seems to be exactly what I want. Now... if only I knew how to <activate> this option, it would be great.

I have successfully installed the respective plugin, and now I am looking at the individual questions, or at the Quiz settings... but it's either me or something else prevents me from spotting that option.

Thanks again,

Adrian

In reply to Adrian Dusa

by Adrian Dusa -

Right... I now see that if I am creating a new question, the option all or nothing can be set.

But that is for new questions only, whereas what I did was to import the questions from the "old" Moodle to the new one. Would it be possible to change the current questions to all or nothing type, or should I re-create all questions...?

Tim, your SQL script works in this direction or simply corrects the answers for particular students' tests?

Best,

Adrian

In reply to Adrian Dusa

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

So you mean single-choice questions? (Radio buttons not checkboxes.)

If so, the answer is simple: Don't set a negative score for wrong answers, if you don't want a negative score for wrong answer wink

Of course, if you already have many mulitple choices questions created with the wrong settings, it is a pain to fix them manually. You can fix them in bulk with an SQL query like this:

UPDATE mdl_question_answers
SET fraction = 0
WHERE fraction < 0 AND EXISTS (
SELECT 1
FROM mdl_qtype_multichoice_options
WHERE questionid = question
AND single = 1
)

However, all the usual dangers about direct manipulation in the database apply. (Also, after doing that, you would need to purge the question definition cache.)

(P.S. This only changed twice in Moodle's history: in Moodle 2.1, released 3.5 years ago, and in Moodle 1.4 or 1.5, 10 years ago.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Adrian Dusa -

Hi Tim,

Nope, that would be for multiple choice questions (check buttons, not radio).

Indeed, we were using (if I'm not mistaken) a Moodle version 1.6 or something, and recently decided to upgrade. Boy it has changed a lot...!

Now I am completely unfamiliar with the new version, and have to slowly catch up. Some of the options were a lot more intuitive in the previous version, but I imagine there must have been good reasons to dramatically change.

Best,

Adrian

In reply to Adrian Dusa

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I do not believe scoring of multiple-choice, multiple-response questions has ever changed. You will never get an negative score overall for such a question.

I suggest you create one new question of that type using the Moodle interface, and then preview it and see whether or not it works the way you want.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Adrian Dusa -

Oh I see...!

I was under the impression that a certain behavior was applied to all question types, and didn't realise only the single answer questions were changed.

Alright then, my task got immensely simplified, I will do as you first suggested to change from -100 to None and all should be fine.

Thanks very much Tim,

Adrian

In reply to Adrian Dusa

by Tim Hunt -

Well, it is true that the chosen behaviour gets applied to all question types. But it is a bit more subtle than that.

You can probably ignore the rest of this post unless you happen to be interested, but here is the explanation:

A) First, in the quiz settings, you choose "How questions behave". This is really only a polite request ...

B) A key moment is when a quiz attempt starts. At this moment, the quiz goes to each question and says something like "We want to attempt you as part of a quiz using 'Deferred feedback behaviour', what behaviour should we use?" (In the code this is the question_definition::make_behaviour method.)

• For most question types, they politely acceed to the request.
  • But, some question types have a good reason to do something different. For example Essay questions alway reply "Well, actually, I can only work with the Manually graded behaviour." Descriptions alwasy use the "Information item" behaviour.
  • And, sometimes, there are special cases. For example if you tell a matching question you want "Interactive with multiple tries" behaviour, then it acutually uses "Interactive with multiple tries (countback-scoring)" which does a more complex calculation for partially correct responses, but otherwise is just like the standard Interactive behaviour.

C) Ever after that, the behaviour is in charge of what goes on as the student attempts the question. That is, it tells the question type what to do, for example "is this response different from the last one we saw?", "please grade this response now", ...

D) However, the question type is still in charge of how to do those tasks it is told to do. So, with multiple choice questions:

• Single response questions (radio buttons) will return a negative score if the student selects a choice with a negative score.
  • Multiple response questions (check boxes) never return a negative score. The plusses and minuses for all the selected choices are added up, but the final score is not allowed to go below zero.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Adrian Dusa -

Thanks again Tim, very useful indeed.

On other websites there are "Rate up" buttons, so a well deserved +1 from me for this answer (already voted as useful).

Best wishes,

Adrian