Rstrict access fields can only be used once....

Rstrict access fields can only be used once....

by J K -
Number of replies: 9

Hi, My objective is to allow students from certain countries only access a Scorm Course and deny students from other countries (country being a user field).

It seems that the country field can only be used once in "Restrict Access" for a module - surely this can be overridden?

Our Moodle installation have a very large number of users who have already populated the Country Field - it is not possible to add another custom field and populate it by hand. We also have pre-populated cohorts which are also being used to filter users via custom registration fields.

Your help would be much appreciated?

JK
Average of ratings: -
In reply to J K

Re: Rstrict access fields can only be used once....

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Could you say which version of Moodle you are using please? I believe this has been possible since 2.7 - MDL-45351 and MDL-47861

In reply to Mary Cooch

by J K -

Hi, We're using 2.6 - no option to upgrade easily....

In reply to Mary Cooch

by J K -

Hi, Just to say that we've now upgraded (relatively easily) to 2.8 and all seems OK. On with the detailed testing now to see how new functionality works out ....

Thanks to all.

JK

In reply to J K

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Great! And thanks for letting us know.

In reply to J K

by Floyd Saner -

Great, JK.  Glad to hear the upgrade went well.  Let me/us know if you have questions about restricted access in Moodle 2.8. I've worked with that in quite a few different situations.

Floyd

In reply to J K

Re: Restrict access fields can only be used once....

by J K -

Hi, Further to my previous posts on this topic, we now find that on Moodle 2.8, the restrict conditions on a Scorm module work fine (we're using the "Country" user profile field, but that the Course name is still visible to users who are restricted (not in allowable countries).

Is there any way to restrict visibility of the Course name? If we hide it, then the Modules do not appear for the students who should see them...

Thanks.

JK

In reply to J K

Re: Restrict access fields can only be used once....

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

"Course name" = SCORM package activity name?

For the restrict access settings there's a an eye icon - make sure you close that eye so it has a line crossing through it. This should stop the SCORM course from being visible even by name to all those who are meant to be barred.

In reply to J K

by Floyd Saner -

JK,

Moodle 2.6 is quite old and is supported for only major bug fixes.  The functionality you want, multiple uses of a field in access conditional statements, is supported in Moodle 2.7 and later releases. These later releases also support complex logic conditions, such as the combination of AND and OR.

For security reasons and to take advantage of additional new features, I strongly encourage you to push your admins for an update to the latest release of Moodle.

If upgrading is totally not possible, then you might try one of the following:

1. Add new user profile fields, see https://docs.moodle.org/26/en/User_profile_fields. Devise some sort of coding method for the type of access desired.  You might need to add several fields to meet your need.  In Moodle 2.6, multiple access conditions are considered conjunctions (ANDed together).  This limits the combinations you can restrict or allow.

2. Make your SCORM activity (course) a group activity and place your students in groups.  Students who are not members of the group will not be able to access the activity.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by J K -

Thanks Floyd - much appreciated. We are investigating an upgrade - hopefully this will work out.....

JK