Japanese text garbled when importing a questionnaire

Japanese text garbled when importing a questionnaire

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Plugin developers
I have been practising upgrading my Moodle site. Before I upgrade my production site I have been experimenting on an experimental site and have found a problem when importing questionnaires that contain Japanese text.

The course that contains the questionnaires has been imported without any apparent problems. Furthermore the structure of the questionnaires appears to be OK. This includes instructions written in Japanese; this text has not been garbled. However, questions that contain Japanese text have been garbled. I have tried changing the encoding in my browser, but this does not solve the problem. I imagine the problem either occurred when I backed-up the original course containing the questionnaires, or when I imported the course. Either way the information re the text encoding of the questions appears to have been lost.

Specifically, the Japanese text in the 'questionnaire' MySQL table (this table contains information about each questionnaire and appears at the top of questionnaires) has not been garbled, but the Japanese text in the 'questionnaire_question' table (this table contains the questions) has been garbled.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

I am using questionnaire module version 2005062701.

Average of ratings: -