Grading glossary entries

Grading glossary entries

Williams Castillo -
Vastausten määrä: 5

I would like to hear ideas about how they should be graded.. what kind of scale(s) should it use, etc.

TIA!

Arviointien keskiarvo:Useful (1)
Vastaus Williams Castillo

Re: Grading glossary entries

Timothy Takemoto -

Hi Will,

What time is it there?

I would like to suggest two forms of evaluation: manual and automatic using the forms of evaluation already in place in the quizes and forums.

Manual
I suggest this should share the scales used/created for the forums, and include the options provided for grading of forums (the only option I can think of is, whether grading be teacher only, or teacher and  students). The creation of an extra default scale, perhaps "excellent definition, good definition, fair definition, poor definition, incorrect definition" would be nice. This might be used in forums too, since one might imagine a forum where the topic is "What is the definition of X."
(By the way, I don't know how these user definable forum scales translate into points/percentages.)

Automatically 
I suggest that this should share some of the functionality of the method of evaluting quizes. This means simply alloting a point/percentage (e.g. 0.1% of grade) to each and every entry submitted automatically, ideally with the option of manual regrading. ( It would be nice if this sort of automatic grading were a function in the forums too. )

Automaticaly Continued
I suppose that in the extreme, one might make the glossary a sort of quiz by giving points to glossary entries that conform to the entries given in a higher level glossary, but that sounds too far too complicated. I don't know. In science subjects where the definition of terms is more precise, then it might be feasible, but probably too much work to code. For my subject (English as a second language) it would need some sort of fuzzy matching and or multiple correct entries. I am not seriously suggesting that you go to this trouble but, I could see it being quite motivating.

Vastaus Timothy Takemoto

Williams Castillo -

Right now it's 17:35 (GMT-4).

I think I should take a deep look at how other modules grade themselves...

Thanks for your comments! When I have a better understanding on the way moodle grade, I will get back to this thread with my comments.

Will
PD: You didn't answer my questions... surullinen

Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Williams,

I uploaded to recent moodle to my test site and got the autolinking to work. Thank You! It is surely one of the best features (other than the system as a framework itself) available in Moodle.

I really like the row of tabs, and the "pending approval" one especially. There is someone asking if this functionality to the forums here,
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3101

At first I did not notice that the autolinking was working since the default style for the link is not to show it as a link until someone puts their mouse on it. I have changed  

a.autolink:link {
  text-decoration: none;
    color: #000000;
    background-color: <?PHP echo $THEME->autolink?>;
}

a.autolink:visited {
  text-decoration: none;
    background-color: <?PHP echo $THEME->autolink?>;
}

TO

a.autolink:link {
//    text-decoration: none; (despite the // the underline is still not there)
    background-color: yellow;
}

a.autolink:visited {
//    text-decoration: none;
    background-color: yellow;
}

Which is a bit garish. I will fiddle around. I do not see the place for specifying the shade of grey that is used here at Moodle.org.

Japanese works no problem at all.

I see also that you have made autolinking the default - which is a good idea.

I have not used the commenting but I think that it will be a great place for students to say thank you to each other.

I look forward to the grading. I am not sure whether students will add glossary items without grades or not.

I may attempt a hack to make tooltips (or "ALT"  or "annoation"?) work. This would have the added advantage that I could perhaps change the stylesheet to display the glossary entries in the page, or at least  allow students to "show source" and print out the page with annotations.

Students like to work off line, so the ability to print a page complete with the glossary entries would be a real boon for them. Since I have started using moodle, for reading comprehension, students are bring heavily annotated pages of English text to class (Perhaps I will scan a page one day). This is good practice for them, but I would like to allow them to cooperate. 

I really hope to get this online soon. Alas a problem with quizzes in the latest update prevents my using this on my production site, but soon, I hope.

Thank you Williams,

Tim
(I was born Timothy Williams, and called "Williams" at at least one school)

Vastaus Timothy Takemoto

Williams Castillo -

Hi Tim, thanks for your kind words.

The place to specify the grey background is /theme/your-themes/config.php. Just add:

$THEME

->autolink = "#EEEEEE"; // To color auto-generated links (eg glossary)

...and rollback your changes in style.php

Glad to know that automatic links works in multi-byte languages! thanks!

The default values for the settings is temporal... I'm planing to change it and allow admins to specify them in the admin modules page.

To make the hack of the ALT tags.. just change dynalink.php. It should be easy... but remember that you will have to do so everytime you upgrade the glossary... hymy

Oh, by the way, comments could be far more useful than a way to express their graitute.. You could use it as a way of co-evaluation of user entries (everyone talk about other's entries)... which is a very interesting use, I think.

And last but but least... The feature you are requesting, a printer-friendly version of the glossary, seems to be useful... Please, file a bug in moodle.org/bugs in order to have an eye on it in the future.

All the best, Tim Williams... hymy

Will

Przemyslaw Stencel -
I agree with Tim that the glossary could simply use the scales available in the course (both server-wide and teacher-defined)

I'm not sure about automatic grading - I can't see a way to grade the appropriateness or correctness of definitions automatically.