restore to existing course failing

restore to existing course failing

by John Ryan -
Number of replies: 3
I am trying to restore to an existing course on a new moodle site from a backup created on an existing site.

However, the restore puts everything into the top section of the new course and not into the correct topic numbers.

I am backing up in version Moodle 1.5.2 (2005060220) and restoring to Moodle 1.5.2 + (2005060222) .

The original course is called Computing 04/05 and the new (blank) course is called Computing 05/06.

I have backed up user files but not course files - I will ransfer those separately as they are very large (>4GB) and caused the backup to fail.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Ryan

Re: restore to existing course failing

by James Dugal -
John, did you tell restore to do "existing course, adding..." to the new (blank) course? If so, try choosing "existing course, deleting..." instead.
In reply to James Dugal

by John Ryan -
I worked out what the problem was. The target course only had 10 topics and the backup course had 42.

It seems that all the links in the last 32 topics were put in the top box when the restore had filled the first 10 topics.

All sorted now

Thanks
In reply to John Ryan

by A. T. Wyatt -
So how did you do it?  When an admin restores someone else's course, he or she won't know how many topics the course has.  Most of ours will have more than 10, I should think.  Did you create a course with the right number of topics and restore into it?  Or something else?

I am interested in the details of your solution!  I will probably need it myself! smile

atw