Sub categories lost in course backup?

Sub categories lost in course backup?

by Ben Trelease -
Number of replies: 1

I'm having a problem with quiz questions in a cloned copy of a Moodle course I created using the backup/restore facility.

The original course has it's questions organized in categories and sub categories like this:

midterm
  section 6
  section 9

Final
  section 12
  section 13

The questions themselves are in the 4 sub-categories and the quizzes draw questions randomly from the top level categories 'midterm' or 'Final'.

The problem I'm having is that, when I created the clone, only the top-level categories were copied. Since they don't have any questions themselves, the quizzes are now generating errors indicating that the number of random questions is greater that the category contains. I went back and created a new backup of the original as a test and when I did, I noticed that the backup report only indicated 2 categories (instead of 6) where found.

So it seems that questions in sub-categories are not being included when a course is backed up. Is this a known limitation? Can anyone provide any thoughts on how to modify the underlying query to pick up the nested categories/questions?

Thanks

Ben Trelease
The Puget Sound Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology
www.pugetsoundcenter.org

Average of ratings: -