There seem to be a number of posts about this, but no definitive answers.
A teacher reported a problem that he couldn't see images that students had uploaded. I explored this a little and discovered a few things:
- the upload feature is not terribly intuitive. You see it when you have an edit window- but it's there at the bottom, almost as an afterthought.
- when you try to use the editor to insert an image, it doesn't show any way to specify an image short of a full URL, which is problematic. If you are a teacher, you can see your normal file browser- but students, for good reason, can't see these files- as a result, they can't see anything to add as an image!
- When you DO browse to an image and upload it, you get a blank page - in theory you can cut the URL from that blank page and paste it into the other page, but this was problematic. His students did this, and we as instructors couldn't see the images. When I logged in as a student, I could.
- I linked to an image with the file browser as an instructor, and then compared the URLS, getting:
- Unfortunately I don't fully understand how file linking works - just that under the two schemes above, they both show for the student view, and only one for the teacher view (the first). So I'm confused.
What seems clear is that this is not really mature. What you'd expect is that when you upload something it throws it in the way it would on a discussion board- but harder to do the placement for that.
So I'm not really sure if this is a bug, or a lack of feature, or both - but I'm a little sad there isn't more feedback on this... would love to hear more from anyone who knows more.
ps: while searching around, I found a reference to this sandbox item: http://moodle.org/mod/wiki/view.php?id=4144&page=edit/Sandbox
Where you can see images that are externally linked under some circumstances when viewed, but always when edited. Is this related??