Workshop

workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission

Picture of t brown

This is the message students get when trying to view and assess work uploaded in th eworkshop.

Help! The students are supposed to be assessing now but can't.

I have looked at the dates and time, but they seem to be ok.

Any ideas?

profezor

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Nic McPhee
Re: workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission

What version of Moodle are you running?  Does this happen for all students, or just one or two?  How many students are in the class?

I've just recently run into a similar problem here (running 1.5.2), although in our case it's failing to list instructor submissions.  I'm pretty sure that the problem at my end is the result of a student deleting a "broken" submision.  I don't think the workshop module handles deletion and resubmission gracefully (despite the fact that it gives the illusion of supporting both these things).  It's possible that one of them deleted their submission and the workshop module then left the database in an inconsistent state and is confused.

Sorry to not be of much help, but I'm still wrestling with this here.  If I figure something out I'll post it here.

Best of luck! - Nic

Picture of t brown

I am running  the latest version.
It was brough to my attention by a student. There are just 25.
I have a dummy student so I can test things from there side.
I get that error message. I am assuming he does as well.

I don't think I uploaded and tried to delete.

Problems is : there are suppose to be assessing. It was working fine and I change something a date, a whatever, and now I can't get it back. sad

Picture of Bob Bird

As part of some cleaning up for Moodle 2.0, Workshop has been moved to contrib in Moodle 2.0. See Activity module cleanup in HEAD.

Fear not! The plan is to replace it before the release of Moodle 2.0 with a module that does the same thing but better.

(Possibly based on Peerlight but this is under review)

Picture of t brown

Nick,

It is that deletion problem.

How did you fix it?

profezor

Picture of Micheal Cooper

We are having the same problem in a psych class. We are using the latest Moodle from cvs and mysql on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 with Apache.

Explanation from the instructor:

I am doing a workshop for a research methodds class where students turn in one assignment and assess 3 assignments.
One of my students has submitted a workshop submission (I am calling them reports), and though it appears when I log in as teacher, when she logs in to edit her submission and/ or do assessments of other students' submissions, she gets "workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission". When she clicks the Continue button, she is thrown back to the login page.
Possible clues:
I changed the end of submission date from Thur 22nd to Mon 26th because some students were having trouble resubmitting files.
As teacher, I deleted one student's submission, and the student successfully resubmitted. I logged in with our dummy student today and submitted, then logged out and logged back in again. I was able to view the submission I had made as the dummy student, and I was able to see the randomly-selected submissions to be evaluated.

Does anyone know what I should do to solve this?
The students are supposed to be assessing each others' work right now, so we are rather eager to resolve the situation.

Picture of Micheal Cooper

Additional information...

Another student came along while we were writing the above forum post, and it turns out that she has the same problem, so all students are probably getting the same error message now.

The prof has decided to delete the workshop and recreate it, this time being careful not to delete any submissions and restricting the students to one submission.

Will erasing the workshop itself fix this, and will there be remaining database corruption?

Picture of Nic McPhee

OK, I was in fact able to fix our workshop by fiddling the database directly.  I was frankly pretty terrified since I only half understood the DB structure, but it worked and we were able to move on.

The problem for us (which is almost certainly not the same problem as others, but may be related) was that a student deleted a submission that had been assessed.  The submission was removed from the DB, but the assessment was not, and this caused an error when the Workshop Module tried to figure out what to do with that assessment.  (I still don't fully understand the error.  I understand why there might be some sort of error in this case, but I didn't have time to chase down the details of that error that actually occurs.)

I went into the DB, figured out the user ID of the student that submitted, eventually found the dangling assessment, and removed it.  That cleared up the student's problem and they were able to resubmit and other people were able to assess.

Unfortunately this problem has since cropped up for other students in other workshops, so I need to go through and do DB surgery again sad.  I really like the idea of the workshop module, but the reality of it is (for me) really problematic.  The code for this module is, to be generous, a bit of a mess and probably not to be trusted too much, and there are deep conceptual issues about the assignment and evaluation of assessments that I don't think were thought through carefully.

Given these issues, and the fact that there's no maintainer or active bug fixing going on, I've had to recommend that our users stop using this conceptually cool module for now.  I'd love to put in some more serious effort in it myself, but that's almost certainly not possible this school year, so unless someone else can take up the flag...

Picture of Paul Nijbakker

Hi,

I have two (so far) students who can't get into the workshop and they get the error message mentioned by some above of the tool not finding the teacher submission. As far as I can tell students cannot delete anything in the workshop except their own file after they have just submitted it. These students have not deleted their file and I haven't deleted the teacher submission, but I did delete a student file (that had not been assessed). That student can, however, see the workshop in normal working order.

I am totally baffled. I have no access to the database so I cannot delve into that. I hope someone can find a definite cause and a remedy, for I would like this workshop to end successfully for all.

Rgrds,
Paul.

Picture of Steve Dubois

We had a similar problem. A quick and ugly way to fix the problem is to change a little bit of code in the locallib.php file in the /public_html/moodle/mod/workshop/ directory:

look for the code

// now list the student submissions this user has been allocated, list only the hot and warm ones,
    // the cold ones are listed in the "your assessments list" (_list_assessed submissions)
    if ($assessments = workshop_get_user_assessments($workshop, $user)) {
        $timenow = time();
        foreach ($assessments as $assessment) {
            if (!$submission = get_record("workshop_submissions", "id", $assessment->submissionid)) {
                error ("workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission");
                }
            // submission from a student?

and add print_r($assessment); right before the error function. The new code looks like this:

// now list the student submissions this user has been allocated, list only the hot and warm ones,
    // the cold ones are listed in the "your assessments list" (_list_assessed submissions)
    if ($assessments = workshop_get_user_assessments($workshop, $user)) {
        $timenow = time();
        foreach ($assessments as $assessment) {
            if (!$submission = get_record("workshop_submissions", "id", $assessment->submissionid)) {
               print_r($assessment);
                error ("workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission");
                }
            // submission from a student?

Now whenever the error occurs the content of the assessment object is displayed on screen. It might look like this:

stdClass Object ( [id] => 9088 [0] => 81 [workshopid] => 81 [1] => 2649 [submissionid] => 2649 [2] => 306 [userid] => 306 [3] => 1161250653 [timecreated] => 1161250653 [4] => 0 [timegraded] => 0 [5] => 0 [timeagreed] => 0 [6] => -1 [grade] => -1 [7] => 0 [gradinggrade] => 0 [8] => 0 [teachergraded] => 0 [9] => 0 [mailed] => 0 [10] => 0 [resubmission] => 0 [11] => 0 [donotuse] => 0 [12] => [generalcomment] => [13] => [teachercomment] => )

This shows that the error occurs for student 306 with the submission id 2649.

Now we go to the Moodle database and delete the faulty record in the workshop_assessments table:

SELECT * FROM `workshop_assessments` WHERE `userid` =306

Now delete the record with submissionid = 2649 (or use a delete query) and the student's problem is fixed.

Picture of Paul Nijbakker

Hi all,

I have also solved the problem via the database, but it does not solve the origin of the error. I am also not sure what causes it. I suspect it might be studentsd looking at an assessment and then clicking (or double-clicking) save to close it rather than using the back button. I have adapted my workshop instructions to tell them not to do so.

Rgrds,
Paul.

Picture of Ben English

It seems to me that you delete the whole submission then you will stop the problem occuring in other users who have the submission assigned to them. This can be done by SELECT * FROM mdl_workshop_assessment WHERE submissionid = XXX

Then delete all the records that relate to that particular submission id.

Picture of Nitin Parmar

I've come across this problem when attempting to facilitate the use of the Workshop activity in my institution.

Does anyone know if this issue has been addressed in Moodle 1.6 or 1.7? We're using Moodle 1.5.3 at the moment.

Picture of Antony Richards

I am using Moodle version 1.6.1+ (2006050512). This problem is quite wide spread in three of my writing classes. Not unlike others here, I have no idea what is causing this problem, nor do I have the time, knowledge or energy to conduct trial and error experiments to find out. Instead, I took a close look at my dB and noticed that several (close to 70) of the assignment submissions had a grade of -1. I assume that this has something to do with a mathematical anomaly within the structure of how the workshop calculates the grades, which themselves seem odd, but this is simply an assumption. In any case, deleting these rows (all the –1 scores) from the dB seems to have eliminated the surface problem, that being the error message. I write this in the hopes that it will assist others as it is a quick, albeit temporary fix, to this problem. I honestly need to know the root of the problem so that I can address it in the future. If anyone finds the cause of this problem I would very much like to hear about it here, as I use this module a great deal – but at present with a lot of manual tinkering.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Bernhard Fank

Hello Antony,

your advice to look in the database was very helpful. I had the same problem. After debugging it seems like this:

1. a submission to a workshop which has already a record in  mdl_workshop_assessments was deleted.
  2. the user owning this record is running into the problem if s/he hits the maxCount of assesments.

Your solution will help because it reduces the records of assessment under maxCount, perhaps deleting also the records which hint to the deleted submission. I think it's more helpful to correct the assessments hinting to the removed submission by changing the submission-id to another one.

Bernhard   

Picture of Jordi Villà

I am using version 1.6.5 and still the same problem exists. Does somebody have a better way to fix the problem rather than hacking the database? This can be tedious if a lot of students have been given submissions to assess.

Jordi

Picture of Eduardo Domínguez

This still happens in 1.8.2
If you change any worshop's parameter... you are lost!

If you don't change any parameter things seems going OK.

Ciao.

Picture of Ali Hastie

Hi

This error is also happening with Moodle version 1.8.3+ Has anyone found a clean fix for this?

Cheers,

Ali.

Picture of Eduardo Domínguez

Hi,

I think the patch to this module must NOT let you delete a submission already asessed (OK, this is something you can check yourself)

First you HAVE TO delete all the assessments to the related submission and later you can delete the submission.

You must be sure that no student is working with the workshop, so I think it's better to hide the wokshop and to follow the abobe procedure.

There is a collateral effect: you have to inform to the students hose assesments you deleted. May be some of them finished the workshop early but they don't know you deleted their assesments. At this time they beleave their work is finished. This is why you have to send them a message.

I found some other problems when you change some parameters in the workshop (the final grade doesn't work as expected).

Tip: If the students are working in a workshop: DONT'T TOUCH IT!!!

Picture of Ioannis Andreadis
Απάντηση: Re: workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission

This problem occurs because moodle does not delete the assigned assessments of a submission when the submission is deleted. The problem with this bug is that the error message: "workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission" appears only to the student(s) to whom the orphan assessments where assigned. The teacher will not know anything until students report it.

A quick solution to this problem if you have access to your database (i.e. using phpmyadmin) is to run the following SQL command:

SELECT mdl_workshop_assessments.*
FROM mdl_workshop_assessments
LEFT OUTER JOIN mdl_workshop_submissions ON
mdl_workshop_assessments.submissionid = mdl_workshop_submissions.id
WHERE mdl_workshop_submissions.id IS NULL

This will show you the orphan assessments; delete the records and everything will get back to normal smiley.gif

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Me
Re: Απάντηση: Re: workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission

thanks for the tip. we were getting the same errors as everyone else in this post. the sql command took care of the issue right away.

Picture of Jit San Chia
Re: Απάντηση: Re: workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission

Thanks Ioannis for the sql, really saves me a lot of time finding those orphaned assessments.

Picture of Ioannis Andreadis
Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission

You are both wellcome. I am happy that I was able to help. 

José Gregorio Díaz Unda
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission

Please.

Does exist any way to fix permanent this issue?

I did the sql procedure but eventually the problem appears again.

Can I mod the library ? where?

HELP!!!

Thanks any way.

José

Picture of Amarpal Sorr
Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission

Hi Folks,

We have just started using the workshop module, has anyone experienced this problem in 1.8.4 ??

Cheers

Amarpal

Me

Is there an ETA on when this bug will be corrected for good?

Picture of Mark Guy

Dear All

This problem is still happening (I am in ver 1.9.2)

and driving me nuts, I had not noticed that it happens after extending  a deadline until yesterday. 

Any recient  assistance or news would help. Peer assessment is getting really useful but only if it is reliable.

If I know exactly what I can or can not change/do it would really help

Thanks in anticipation

Mark

Picture of joe cool

The same problem recently happened to me in Moodle 1.9.3.

It seemed to happen after I extended a deadline, but other things also happened around the same time.

I gather from the above discussion that deleted submissions are removed, but not the assessments of them. I wonder how extending a deadline would impact this?

Also, I looked at Peerlight. Does anyone think Peerlight is safe to run on a production site?

Picture of joe cool

I notice there were workshop assessments which had a corresponding submission id, for which the corresponding submission did not exist!

I know at least 1 or 2 students did delete a submission.

This problem seems to indicate the code was not deleting assessments, just the submissions. This could have been because students should not be able to delete submissions after assessment has begun. That is, the only submissions that students CAN delete are those with no assessments. So, when deleting submissions, why bother with non-existent assessments?

However, if dates have been changed, students might not be able to assess at a current time, and still be in the submission period, yet they MAY have, in the past, been able to assess.

Thinking this might be the case, I looked into the code to perhaps add the deletion of assessments along with submission deletion.

However, I found that the code seems to be deleting both, correctly. This is in submissions.php, lines 148-162, below:

// first get any assessments...
if ($assessments = workshop_get_assessments($submission, 'ALL')) {
foreach($assessments as $assessment) {
// ...and all the associated records...
delete_records("workshop_comments", "assessmentid", $assessment->id);
delete_records("workshop_grades", "assessmentid", $assessment->id);
echo ".";
}
// ...now delete the assessments...
delete_records("workshop_assessments", "submissionid", $submission->id);
}
// ...and the submission record...
delete_records("workshop_submissions", "id", $submission->id);
// ..and finally the submitted file
workshop_delete_submitted_files($workshop, $submission);

Any ideas on how to eliminate the problem?

By the way, the problem is that some students could not assess after submitting - they got the message

"workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission"

when they simply go to the workshop, without trying to select anything (not submission, assessment or anything).

Anthony Borrow
Core developersMoodle HQPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTesters
Was an issue for the bug you were experiencing filed in the Moodle Tracker? Is this still an issue? If so, let me know. Peace - Anthony

Me

This bug description may be found on the tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-7218

I have fixed the Workshop module bug.
And have been tested on Moodle 1.8.2.

Bug description:
If user delete submission - assessments are not deleted.
Assessments reading from SQL-database which links to non-existent sumbissions - therefore message appears "workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission".

In order to delete assessments correctly, you need:

1. File "mod/workshop/submissions.php", line:
   delete_records("workshop_assessments", "submissionid", $submission->id);
move out of the cicle:
   if ($assessments = workshop_get_assessments($submission, 'ALL')) {
   }

2. or replace by this file (for Moodle 1.8.2):
http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/attachment/16530/submissions.php

!!!
After updating, if you or your students see message "workshop_list_student_submissions: unable to get submission" - you have to execute follow SQL-query:
DELETE FROM `mdl_workshop_assessments` WHERE `submissionid` NOT IN (SELECT `id` FROM `mdl_workshop_submissions`)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Juan Marín

yes!!! it works for me (with Moodle 1.9.1+ (Build: 20080604))

Thanks you very much

Picture of David Mudrák
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators
Stanislav,

thanks for spotting the right place of the fix. I just committed the patch based on your solution and described some background in the tracker issue MDL-7218.
Shortly - during the Moodle upgrade to 1.9.6+ or 1.9.7, all found orphaned assessment records are removed and they should not appear any more thanks to the patch.