Batch Course Upload/Update

Re: Batch Course Upload/Update

by Jeff Church -
Number of replies: 6

Two of our student programmers (Cole Spicer js72111@appstate.edu and Austin Gooding bg66444@appstate.edu) modified the course upload file to work in 1.7.1. It does not have a hook into the gui interface so you run it just like you did for the original quick method. Login as the admin and enter http://moodleaddress/admin/uploadcourse.php. Most of it works the same as before but in this version the add teacher works and the fields needed for 1.7 have been added. For the teacher role use the role short name, found under define roles. This is beta software and we have only done simple test on it so far. Please do your own testing before using it on a live instance. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. We are very new to Moodle so I apologize any newbie faux pas.

In reply to Jeff Church

by Mark Pearson -
I have just tried this out on a test instance of Moodle v1.8. I found that I have to stick closely to the required fields. Some fields that I thought were optional were not .. When I got the test data set looking shipshape and Bristol fashion the import worked fine. Glitches:
  1. Minor. The 'sortorder' does not seem to do what it's name suggests. That is, I figured that the categories would be sorted by the sort order given. But no, the categories appear in the order they are imported.
  2. Major. The teacher role assigned to the 'teacher' field is non-editing teacher. That is, with the string 'Teacher' or 'teacher' in the teacher1_role field the role actually created is non-editing teacher. Other default roles for v1.8, such as 'Course creator' or 'non-editing teacher' threw errors, although the courses were created. This is a major issue since it entails manually changing roles for every course created.
Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
We are in the process of installing 1.8 and switching from Blackboard to Moodle. We need to batch upload all of our courses and users, so I'm hoping that the "major" complication listed above was fixed. Or that there is an easier fix then going in to each course and fixing it. Does anyone know...?

Thanks.
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
Actually I believe I've figured out the answer to the teacher role field. Rather than enter "teacher" you have to enter "editingteacher". That fixes it.
In reply to Jeff Church

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
I have not been able to find a way to add multiple teachers. I tried column heading like" teacher1_account, teacher2_account, teacher1_role, teacher2_role

as well as: teacher1_account, teacher1_role, teacher2_account, teacher2_role

and several other column heading as well.

What should the file look like in order to add multiple teachers? (I'm using excel and then saving the file in a csv format)

Thanks.