local linking (not global)

local linking (not global)

by Tom Murdock -
Number of replies: 5
In Library (not the version stored here), Mark Kimes just added a cool commenting feature. I'm wondering if it could become a Moodle tool.

If a post is replying to a previous forum post and its title is a word or phrase from that prior post, the word or phrase turns into a local link in the prior post. This creates the feel of an automatic annotation.

For example, if someone replied to this post and entitled the reply: "version stored here" then the phrase would become linked in this forum, and would snap you to the reply. (In a way, this is like an improved email quoting feature).

Finally, if the new digital resource library could offer the same functionality, then an entire course might comment upon, say, a text that the teacher offers up.

? an idea.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Murdock

version stored here

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Interesting line of thought! I'm not quite sure I understand how that is meant to work, though ... what happens if multiple people reply to a post?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: version stored here

by Tom Murdock -
presumably the link would go to any reply post with the same name.

If two (or twelve) people chose the same words to annotate, it wouldn't break (it organizes the discussion somewhat).

What I like is that the response "borrows from" what was stated before, which is skill (whereas the automatic RE: simply indicates chronology).

In literature studies we spend a good deal of time saying, "I know you have an idea about what you just read, but what words triggered the idea?"

Many times, I see skilled folks changing the subject message anyway (like you just did), but when the software models the kind of responsiveness you want in a conversation--even better!

(Though by abandoning the RE: in the subject, it did take me a minute to recognize that you had responded to my initial post when I glanced at the Recent Activity. Still, I think it is worth it).
In reply to Tom Murdock

linking vs quoting

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
> In literature studies we spend a good deal of
> time saying, "I know you have an idea about
> what you just read, but what words triggered
> the idea?"

Possibly simple quoting should be something to go
for first, though, since most people are familiar with that ... and it does allow the post to stand alone (eg in email contexts).

The reference linking is a cool idea, but I'm still having a little trouble imagining it in practice ... if one post has twelve replies that use the same phrase, then the link goes to the first one? one at random? all of them?

What about linking back to the parent (a la everything2 or wiki)?

Re: linking vs quoting

by Ger Tielemans -

Or quoting could become a pop-up-screen, not disturbing the mainstream?

the link goes to the first one?

by Tom Murdock -
I was thinking that it would link to all of the replies with the same title (and they would still be threaded chronologically).

But, yes, if you clicked the title of the reply, it would presumably take you to the parent where the link was derived.

The title would be a kind of truncated quotation.

Still, just an idea. If it doesn't have a place, I'm good with that, too. big grin