supporting extra credit

supporting extra credit

by Simon Gray -
Number of replies: 6
Is there a way to create an assignment for, say, 100 points, and allow for extra credit points?

Not everyone attempts the extra credit, so it is unfair to say that the assignment is out of 115 points.
In reply to Simon Gray

Re: supporting extra credit

by Michael Penney -
Yep, that is what the extra credit check box in the gradebook is for (in advanced settings). Put the extra credit activity in the same category as another activity(s), and then check "extra credit' box next to the extra credit activity's name.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Simon Gray -
Thanks. I had not seen that. The lab now shows as having "extra credit". But how and where do I enter the extra credit? I can still only enter a maximum of 100 points and need to get up to 115. I don't see anywhere to put the extra points.
In reply to Simon Gray

by James Robertson -
I create a separate offline assignment (at least one for each category) and put extra credit points in it, using the feedback field to show what the points were for.  It means that you will have to record the extra credit points in a separate location from the base points, but it does the job.  In my class, most of the extra credit points were for separate exercises (e.g., visiting an elderly care center and observing various ways the staff respond to different needs), but I also had an "Extra credit points" dummy assignment that I used for point "above and beyond" assigned as extra credit in regular assignments.
In reply to Simon Gray

by Adam Johnston -
Is there a structural reason assignments can't be more than the max points? It would make it easier and more intuitive for teachers as they enter their grades to be allowed to enter up to 1.5 times the max grade versus having to enter a grade and then go to a separate assignment thats extra credit to dump the extra credit points they earned.

I don't know if I am simplifying the issue when it simply doesn't work that way, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if there was a setting that could be adjusted to allow for each assignment to have extra credit versus having to do so separately.
In reply to Adam Johnston

by Michael Penney -
So long as assingments are graded with a drop down, it puts a pretty severe limit on how many points are manageable: rendering a drop down menu with even a 100 points is a pretty severe performance hit.

If you can convince Martin to provide an option to use a text entry field for grading instead of the drop down, then it makes it much easier to have high point value assignments. We still use a version of the old assignment module that accepts any point value you want to put in for max grade, and even accepts negative grades.

Other than the drop down rendering issue, there is no structural limit to 100 points. In the old assignment module there was a limit on the max number of points in the drop down list, probably in the new one there is something like that, though the present version of the grading interface is so different and light on commenting that after spending a few days trying to get my head around it, we just patched up the old one we had been using in 1.4 for 1.5, for now.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Adam Johnston -
That sounds great!  I don't really like the new assignment module and grading through it anyway.  If I can use the old one safely that sounds perfect.  Right now I have been recommending to my staff to use the edit grades mod I installed and I am trying to make that one (which uses text entry) accept negatives and extra but I am trying to learn what all the code is in order to change it so it may not happen.  So if I could just use the old assignment module that'd fix all my issues in one go.
Thanks