Course theme?

Course theme?

by piersante sestini -
Number of replies: 6
I did setup my first theme just copying the formal_white theme to a different folder and changing the two logo files.

Then I did the same to have a course specific theme.

From the site configuration, I can see the two new themes (although for some reason they are listed as "Moodle 1.4", while the original formal_white is not ?!), and chose the one that I want.

But when I try to set the course specific theme from the course settings, I can only chose among the original themes, as the new ones don't show up in the menu.

Any hints?

thanks,
Piersante

Average of ratings: -
In reply to piersante sestini

Re: Course theme?

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Ciao Piersante,

non 1.5 themes not showing up in the theme selection lists is correct. That your reworked themes don't get recognized correctly by Moodle when you only changed the logos is strange.

Martin, could you please tell us how Moodle differentiates 1.5.x themes from 1.4.x themes?

Thanks
Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Moodle 1.5 themes have $THEME->sheets in their config.php file. Otherwise, we assume they are 1.4 themes.

There was a 1.4 version of formal_white before Andrea made his 1.5 version.  Maybe there has been some confusion there in where it was copied from.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by piersante sestini -
Bingo!
That was exacly what was happening. The formal_white directory was copied from a 1.5dev version od sometimes in '04...

I copied back from the new version, and now it shows up in the theme couse.

I wasn't able to show the new logo in the course theme, though, as it insists to show the one from the main theme (I can confirm looking at the image's properties that the image comes from that directory).

If I change the course theme to any other theme, it actually changes the way it is shown, so there should be something wrong in what I am doing with this new theme (although I just changed the logo picture...). I will experiment a bit more before coming back...

thanks

Piersante

by A. T. Wyatt -
I am working to solve a similar problem: forcing the course theme to show a "header" logo rather than inheriting the header logo on the site theme. These threads are a big help
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=24190
and
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=25113

It was very instructive to study the code provided by The Classroom Revolution; the themes there have been updated to allow for logos residing in the theme folder itself.

My problem now is to overcome the rounded corners when applying my own theme to the whole site! I expect that somewhere in Urs' wonderful documentation lies the answer.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by piersante sestini -
Oh, thanks, bow it works!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to change all the header.html files in the distribution to point to current_theme(), because many poeple will stumble on this!

cheers,
piersante

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Ciao Piersante,

right you are. I will go through them and change them where necessary.

Urs