abbr tags mangled in source code

abbr tags mangled in source code

by ~ Longbarrow ~ -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

When I create a web page in Moodle 1.5 using the editor, I go into the code view and add <abbr> tags where necessary eg:

<abbr title="world wide web">WWW</abbr>

However, when the page is processed the source code looks like this:

<abbr title="world wide web" />WWW</abbr />

and as a result, the page's code doesn't validate.

Is there a work-around for this? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

~ Longbarrow ~

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ~ Longbarrow ~

Re: abbr tags mangled in source code

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hmm, I'm unable to reproduce the problem you describe. Are you using 1.5.2?
In reply to Helen Foster

by ~ Longbarrow ~ -
"Moodle 1.5 + (2005060201)" according to the admin page. Maybe it's been fixed in 1.5.2

Thanks for trying.

by ~ Longbarrow ~ -

We have recently upgraded to 1.6 development (2005101200) . The problem is still happening.

Does anyone have any further ideas?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

I'm guessing you're using Internet Explorer, which doesn't support the abbr tag. The HTML editor seems to rely on the browser's handling of a particular tag.

Perhaps you could use the acronym tag instead?
In reply to Helen Foster

by ~ Longbarrow ~ -

big grin HA!! That's it!! Thank you so much - I thought I was going mad! It's such a relief to find out why it was doing that.

I'm doing a little dance of joy!big grin

Thanks

by Helen Foster -
Thanks for your feedback - it's nice to know you're happy. Apologies for not realising where the problem lay initially.

(Note to self: Must test in IE occasionally wink)