prevent notfication when Grades are posted

prevent notfication when Grades are posted

by Dee Kramer -
Number of replies: 7
How can I prevent students from receiving a notification when their grades are posted? 
In reply to Dee Kramer

Re: prevent notfication when Grades are posted

by Bob Puffer -
We, too are looking at options to turn off automatic emailing of grades, etc.  Have seen some postings in various forums but none seem to successfully address the need.  The automatic notifications are not contained in digests, if that's what the profile specificies -- you still get them each time the instructor posts grades.  If they do it once a week, you get a whole lot of them.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by A. T. Wyatt -

Digest would be a possible solution.  I like having the students notified, but I give a lot of grades!  It generates quite a bit of email.

If anyone figures out a solution, we would be appreciative.smile

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Bob Puffer -
I tested this and, as mentioned in my previous posting, digest doesn't affect the behavior -- the student still receives notification in their email "each time" a change is made.  
In reply to Dee Kramer

by Bob Puffer -
Needed to correct this quickly so I went in and commented out mod/assignment/lib.php assignment_cron function the lines:
            if (! email_to_user($user, $teacher, $postsubject, $posttext, $posthtml)) {
                echo "Error: assignment cron: Could not send out mail for id $submission->id to user $user->id ($user->email)\n";
            }

Later on I may make a permanent mod that allows for the database change required to enable instructor-selection by course.

In reply to Bob Puffer

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Bob Puffer -
Nothing done in the DB -- the code you see completely disables notification emails from being processed by the cron.  In order to accomplish your objective you'd need to get a list of the teachers for the course and determine, by authority which one should originate the email and place that in the teacher field of the message function.
In reply to Bob Puffer

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.