Flash preloading bars and Windows

Flash preloading bars and Windows

by Stefania Spina -
Number of replies: 7
We are running Moodle 1.5.2 and we are trying to add some Flash files as resources in a Moodle course. The videos are preceded by a preloading bar, which is pefectly opened by Apple clients (Safari or Firefox), but is not visible with Windows clients (IE, Mozilla and others): the browser opens an empty window, no preloading bar is shown, and then the loaded video starts.
Does someone have an idea of possible solutions?
Thank you for your help
Stefania Spina
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefania Spina

Re: Flash preloading bars and Windows

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Stefania,

Please could you confirm whether you're using the latest Flash player version (7) with all browsers.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Stefania Spina -
Hi Helen,

I am using Flash player v. 7 (on an Apple MacOs 10.4.2), Flash player v. 7 on a WIndows 2000 pc and Flash player v.8 on a Windows Xp pc.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hmm, could it be that the video is being cached by browsers on Windows, so that the preloader is not required? How long is the delay before the video starts? Could you provide a link?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Stefania Spina -
I don't think it's a cache problem: we tried to open a Flash movie from a pc that had never accessed the Moodle site before.
The problem is with a direct link to a flash file (the bar does not start from Windows): if I add the resource as an html page with the same Flash embedded, the preloading bar is correctly opened. This problem does not show on Apple.
You can try from this link:

http://elearning.unistrapg.it/master_didattica_test/course/view.php?id=12
userid: helen
password: helen

I put two versions of the same Flash with preloading bar, one linked as "file", the other as "web page".
Thank you
Stefania

by Helen Foster -
Hi Stefania,

The results I obtained on Windows XP were quite confusing. Using Firefox, "no ok preloaded" played and "ok preloaded" failed to load. The opposite happened with IE 6. mixed

Sorry I can't help you. sad

by Just H -
Hi Stefania

Just confirming Helen's post.

In Firefox "no ok preloaded" played straight away (without a preloader), "ok preloaded" came up as a blank screen.

In IE6, "ok preloaded" loaded with a preloader but took approximately 4 minutes to load.  "no ok preloaded" just gave a blank screen.

Sorry but I have no idea why, hopefully someone else can use this info to help you out smile
In reply to Just H

by Stefania Spina -
Helen and Harry,
thank you very much for your help; it must be something related to the Flash code, we'll try to work it out. smile
Stefania