installation problem

installation problem

by Said Ahmed -
Number of replies: 2
connecting to databse and creating config file is ok however when i reach the stage which say

updating moodle variables the next page the comes is setting up moodle tables(which ends with "workshop tables have been set up correctly") however i am not able see to see the submit or continue button. Hence i get stuck.. if i go back again and forward i get the follow message.

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Help!!!!!!!!!

What shall i do
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Said Ahmed

Re: installation problem

by Jim Frankenfield -

First of all, reposting the same thing isn't going to help. Look back through the last three pages and you'll see similar problems, a few with suggestions and a few others (like yours) with no reply at all. None have a solution so it appears that nobody really knows what to do. If a question doesn't get an answer nobody has one, posting it again won't change that.

I have tried several times, with version 1.4 and with 1.5

Version 1.4 did install to a functional level but would not display the main admin page. The only solution anyone else posted to this kind of problem you and I have with 1.5 was to use 1.4, apparently for them that version worked entirely whereas 1.5 would not. But ask yourself how important upgrading will be later since its not likley to go any better than a clean install.

You will inevitably have to start over, probably multiple times. Make sure you have something like phpMyadmin which allows you to easily dump the database from a bombed install and create another new empty one for the next try. Its also useful for seeing whether guest and admin accounts were created. Ver 1.4 never asked me to create and admin account. The first time it also failed to create the default admin/admin account, which I could tell by using myphpadmin to examine the tables. The second time it did create the default account, and I could make the system work using that. As long as I went directly to the right admin pages for whatever I wanted to do since the admin index page wouldn't display.

Good luck. If you don't have significant experience with php, mysql (or other database), and your server setup (apache, etc) you probably don't want to even try this. If you do have experience with those areas and some tenacity you might get it working. But expect a very significant investment of time. And a lot of encouragement but little firm advice on what to do next. And quite possibly no error messages to work from.

In reply to Said Ahmed

Re: installation problem

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you checked that error logging is enabled in php.ini and checked the error log when the problem occurs. My best guess is that a fatal error is happening and you are not seeing it via the browser. The next step is to track down this error in the logs.