Site settings for "Main" course

Site settings for "Main" course

by Lindsay Magnus -
Number of replies: 0
I have tried to think what is the best place to post this and as it concerns the main course format of the front page I have posted it here.

In the "site settings option" of the of the site configuration one can set various options for "Front page format:". This typically controls how the front page is displayed either as news items or courses etc.

I have noticed that when I login as an administrator I am shown all the available courses but if I login as a normal user I am only shown the course for which I am registered together with the course summary.

I have found that this makes navigation to other courses cumbersome for new users, old hats will most probably add a "courses block" to the front page but I find the layout and simplicity of the "available courses" option to be better than the "my courses" information.

To that end I have edited the index.php file to be the following

///            if (isloggedin() && !isset($USER->admin) && empty($CFG->disablemycourses)) {
///                print_heading_block(get_string('mycourses'));
///                print_my_moodle();
///            } else {
                if (count_records('course_categories') > 1) {
                    if ($CFG->frontpage == FRONTPAGECOURSELIST) {
                        print_heading_block(get_string('availablecourses'));
                    } else {
                        print_heading_block(get_string('categories'));
                    }
                    print_simple_box_start('center', '100%', '', 5, 'categorybox');
                    print_whole_category_list();
                    print_simple_box_end();
                    print_course_search('', false, 'short');
                } else {
                    print_heading_block(get_string('availablecourses'));
                    print_courses(0, '100%');
                }
///            }

as you can see I have just commented out the option that distinguishes the admin user from a normal user.

I would much rather be able to control this via the "Site Settings" admin option and would appreciate if the developers could plan this for the future.

Regards
Lindsay
Average of ratings: -