Performance in the VARIABLES section of Administrator

Performance in the VARIABLES section of Administrator

by Charlie Lindahl -
Number of replies: 1
All:
I'm having a performance problem with the VARIABLES section of the Adminstration area; this may be related to my previous posting in this forum regarding more than one admin user at a time.

With only one user logged in (admin) the VARIABLES section takes a LONG time to "come in" ... the Miscellaneous section takes a few minutes to show up.

This is on a bare machine : 2.5Ghz Pentium with 1G of RAM and no users.

According to "top" this machine is > 90% idle during this process.

Other configuration info:

OS         : Fedora Core 3
MySQL :  3.23
Moodle : 1.5+

First thing I'm trying is to upgrade MySQL to 4.1. I'm also going through the performance tweaks suggested in this forum such as the MMCACHE stuff.

1) Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what to look for?
2) Anyone interested in my publishing what I will find out?

Charlie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Charlie Lindahl

Re: Performance in the VARIABLES section of Administrator

by Martín Langhoff -
When you are logged in as Admin, navigating around the /admin section fires off several additional checks against the database. This additional load isn't very noticeable, but with several admin users at the same time, plus a bit of additional traffic from regular users, it could surely show up.

These extra queries happen on the /admin page itself, and check that the DB versions are up to date, etc. The Variables page may be loading the list of languages, perhaps. If you are not using the langcache, this is also a factor to consider.

The pages under /admin generally consume more RAM than usual - check earlier discussions about optimizing performance and minimizing memory footprint, specifically Apache/MySQL settings. The forum search is really good and if you search for maxclients, for instance, it'll lead you to the right posts wink

It is important to _not_ use admin accounts. If you have 3 users "administering" your website at the same time, you have way too many cooks in the kitchen. Things will break. Give them an 'everyday' unprivileged account, as well as their super-powerful accounts. Treat admin accounts as you treat the root account in Unix.