Collapsing/expanding sections within topics

Collapsing/expanding sections within topics

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Number of replies: 12
Indenting allows us to arrange resources and activities hierarchically, which is very useful. I think another useful feature would be the ability to collapse and expand sections created with indenting. This could be a course setting: allow collapsing and expanding of indented activities. If set to No, the courses would be displayed the way they are now. If set to Yes, indented activities would not be shown at first, students would have to click on the + (expand) button next to the 'mother' activity.

This would allow to shorten the topic display, which in some courses (those with great numbers of short activities) can get very long.

What do others think?
Attachment collapse.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Re: Collapsing/expanding sections within topics

by Sean Keogh -
Yes, that would be very nice to have. If the default condition of a topic was to display only the top level of the hierarchy of sub-topics, then the overall view of a course would be nice and un-cluttered, but students could "drill-down" by clicking on the little expand buttons to zoom in on the area of particular interest.

This would certainly be very useful for us.
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Ger Tielemans -
This could go hand in hand with IMS-content packaging..  (export/import)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Paul Duff -

I tend to think that the pursuit of a collapsable resource structure would be beneficial in its own right given the lengths of some lists of resources, and maybe there's an open source tree model that could be utilised.

In reality, I suspect that the SCORM/IMS issue is likely to be longer term initiative given the debates in the forums (fora?) and the seeming lack of concensus on what the standard really means, and which subset of its features should be prioritised.

See Re-usable resources..............

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Deepa Govind -

I know this is a very old thread, but i could not find anything else relevant to what I am trying to acomplish.

I am trying to create a course in moodle, and so far so good.

However, as the course content grows, from section1 to section 8, every time i save a section / page , I am taken back to top of the course-edit-page. I am forced to scroll all the way down.. till i reach section 8.. and then do whatever that needs to  be done.

Is there a way for me to collapse (or expand) sections, so taht I can reach to the section-that-i-want-to-edit without having to scroll all the way up or below

Any help is appreciated
Best Regards
Deepa Govind
Paras-Partners.com

In reply to Deepa Govind

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Deepa,

A very old thread indeed.wink Unfortunately you do not say which version of Moodle you are currently using. Are you aware that the navigation block in Moodle 2 more or less allows collapse/expand of Topics/Sections?

Joseph

In reply to Deepa Govind

by Derek Chirnside -

Deepa, this is a thread from 2003!!

There are several formats in the plugins for Moodle 2.2.

Check out collapsed topics ands grid for example.

http://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=19

And there is another one called folderview.  http://thinkingdistance.org/post/6486856003/folderview-course-format

One may end up in Moodle core soon.

-Derek

In reply to Deepa Govind

by Deepa Govind -

Thank you All,

We are using Moodle 2.0.2 (Build: 20110221)

Yes, I am aware of the navigation-block. But, I was not referring to " expland - collapse @Navigation block"

I wanted to collapse /expand the sections in the Topic-outline section As the number of section grows, after every save, I find myself on Section1 I have to scroll all the way down, to reach the section of my choice -- does this make sense??

On another note : I got a "do u want to subscribe to thi s forum", & yes, My mailbox was flooded with alerts from old and new threads in the same forum .. i really didnt need that... So, went ahead and clicker "unsubscribe from forum", and phooof..no more emails .. so i missed all your updates...

All i wanted was to get an alert on THE thread i was interested in. (not all threads @ same forum) How do i go about this?

Thanks again
Best Regards
Deepa Govind
Paras-partners.com

In reply to Deepa Govind

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Deepa,

1. « I was not referring to " expland - collapse @Navigation block" I wanted to collapse /expand the sections in the Topic-outline section As the number of section grows, after every save, I find myself on Section1 I have to scroll all the way down, to reach the section of my choice -- does this make sense?? »

Well, as I said, in the Navigation block you can collapse/expand the sections/topics as you like, which may not be exactly what you want but is similar and a useful feature of Moodle 2 I think.

2. « All i wanted was to get an alert on THE thread i was interested in. (not all threads @ same forum) How do i go about this?  »

"Being able to subscribe to a forum thread rather than a forum" is a very long standing requested feature in the Moodle forum, and has been resisted by Moodle HQ all those years,sad but we are at last promised that things will change in a forthcoming version of Moodle.approve

See MDL-1626, which received no less than 96 votes (in more than 7 years of existence).

Joseph

In reply to Deepa Govind

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Deepa,

Perhaps the new course format "Collapsed Topics with Custom Layouts" by Gareth Barnard will become your favorite. At the moment it is still in beta. I am using it in two courses - no problems at all. This is one course format which leaves all information visible, but puts the most important topic or week to the top (depends on your layout setting).

With kind regards,

Hartmut