Installation: Unpacking

Installation: Unpacking

by Kevin Wilcoxon -
Number of replies: 2
This may be the most basic question you've encountered.  I logon to my website using PuTTY, which uses tcsh (enhanced C shell).  Would a kind soul be willing to add a little meat to the following item in the "Installing Moodle" document:

Even web hosting interfaces like Cpanel allow you to uncompress archives in the "File Manager".

The command names and/or command lines to use would be sooo helpful.tongueout

I've searched this site extensively without luck.  I've googled tcsh without luck.  Nothing shows me the necessary command(s).  I tried looking at the man pages for tsch . . . must have a billion words (no kidding).  Made no sense to me.  This seems such a dumb thing, but I'm stumped.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Wilcoxon

Re: Installation: Unpacking

by Jan Dierckx -

If you have downloaded the Moodle in *.zip format, you can use

unzip moodle-1.5.2.zip

but I don't think all linux installations have unzip.

More information on unzip

A *.tgz archive is the more standard Linux way. you can download Moodle in this format also. To extract it, use:

tar xzvf moodle-1.5.2.tgz

In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: Installation: Unpacking

by Jan Dierckx -

This made me think about why this wasn't added to the install documentation. I think it says

Even web hosting interfaces like Cpanel allow you to uncompress archives in the "File Manager".

because Cpanel offers a nice webbased interface to all of this cryptic unix commands. That's why there is no more mention of the exact commands to use.

If you don't have Cpanel, but do have shell access to your server, you may want to use the CVS instructions for installing Moodle.

This option is really very interesting. The commands to use cvs are only slightly more cryptic than the tar/unzip ones.

The big advantage comes afterwards. To update your Moodle to the current version you just need to type:

cvs update -dP