Want installation without public access to our site and files

Want installation without public access to our site and files

by Gary Attwood -
Number of replies: 4
I want to install moodle into our web site at the top level i.e. so you simply get our moodle site when entering our web address. I've tried this with sucess using cpanel. I've then ugraded to 1.5.2. All's well.

Only problem is you can access many of the folders and subfolders on the site by typing in the url in web browser.

Does anyone have any suggestions or could anyone point me in the right direction. We are going to port our site next week! E.g. Is it sufficient to turn each folders' world read permission off?

Kind regards,

Gary Attwood
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Attwood

Re: Want installation without public access to our site and files

by Stuart Douglas -
If you're trying to keep your site fully functional for internal users AND prevent public access, you could do any of the following depending on how you're setup:

1) restrict port 80 inbound access on your gateway router
2) restrict port 80 inbound access on your firewall
3) remove the NAT translation of the server's private IP address (if you use NAT)
4) change the private IP address of your server (how you handle this would depend on how your internal computers resolve the server address...you'd need to publish new links if it's by IP, or update your DNS server(s) if it's by name).

There are probably a few other ways, but those are the obvious ones to me.

Good luck!
In reply to Stuart Douglas

by Gary Attwood -
These methods seem to need more expertise than I have.

Are any of them possible to achive via cpanel? If so how/where?

Thank you for the assistance.

gary
In reply to Gary Attwood

by Jeff Wood -
Gary,

Are you referring to the course files (moodleadat directory?) or just moodle directories (eg. yoursite.com/calendar)?

I have used index manager in cpanel to keep people from viewing any directory that does NOT have an index.htm file in it.

As for moodledata, I placed this inside my cgi-bin directory and it is in accessible from the outside world.

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Gary Attwood -
Thanks for the advice.

I am trying to restrict outsiders from accessing the moodle directories like mysite.com/calendar as well as the data folder.

When installing moodle from cpanel it seems to create a directory called uploaddata which it puts in the top web folder along with all the moodle directories. I think this is the course folder.

I'm not sure what happens if you move the data folder. However the advice concerning index manager is worth a try.

I'll let you know what happens next week.

Thank you,
Gary