Better search algorithm

Better search algorithm

by Borek Bernard -
Number of replies: 3
Hello, I tried to search for moodle 1.4 release date and the results were quite disappointing. The same query in Google returned relevant results. Are there any plans to implement some significantly better search algorithm? Otherwise it's quite pointless to have built-in search in Moodle at all (OK, it can be useful when you know the exact phrase - but that's not a typical situation).
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Borek Bernard

Re: Better search algorithm

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Google searches more than the forums in one course, it searches pages from all over this site and the web.  This gives it a slight advantage.  wink

Did you see the advanced search page?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Borek Bernard -
I naturally restricted Google's search results with "site:moodle.org/mod/forum". The tricky thing is that there are actually no forum posts containing information about moodle 1.4 release date but even in this situation, Google returns much more meaningful results. Moodle's first result (except first post in this thread) is something like "updated MS SQL patch", "adding images to quizzes" and other really strange things.

I looked at advanced search page but
  1. I don't think it can solve my problems - this page offers some good enhancements for Moodle's query language but I think that even with good query, you get bad results.
  2. good results should be surely served directly from the small textbox - with no need to go to advanced page
I know that Google is a search guru and that Moodle can never get on par with it but currently, the search results are much much worse - in my opinion, they are absolutely useless. Maybe I just tried "bad queries" but the same queries in Google returned what I wanted.

Regards, Borek.
In reply to Borek Bernard

by Tony Hursh -

Many people do seem to find the Moodle search useful, if not perfect.

Martin would probably be glad to get either a donation earmarked for improving the search (although I think most would agree that it's better than it used to be) -OR- code that implements a better search.

If I could write a better search algorithm than Google, I'd be a billionaire. smile