Installation fails to recognize database path

Installation fails to recognize database path

by Sean Gorman -
Number of replies: 4

I have been trying to install Moodle 1.5.2 on an Apache server and I can't get past the second install screen.  The following is the warning message and the fields I have attempted to enter.

Warning: The 'Data Directory' you specified could not be found or created. Either correct the path or create that directory manually.

Web address:  http://www.fseangorman.com/moodle

Moodle Directory:  /home/fsgorman/public_html/moodle

Data Directory:  /home/fsgorman/public_html/moodledata

I have attempted to set the address to several different URLs, all with the correct directories, to no avail.  What am I doing wrong?  This is the same problem reported 15 Aug by a gentleman in the Netherlands, so I'm not alone!! (see: install.php denies pathname.  My screen dump would be very similar except it would be in English!)

Any suggestions?

Sean 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean Gorman

Re: Installation fails to recognize database path

by Bill Burgos -
Hi Sean,

The Data Directory is not the same as the database path. wink

The error message refers to a folder that needs to be made for Moodle to store uploaded files, backups, etc.

This folder should be created before procceding:

/home/fsgorman/public_html/moodledata

and have world writable permissions to that directory. The procedure of setting permissions will depend on the web server you are using. Section 4.3 of the installation guide will give you more information:

http://moodle.org/doc/?frame=install.html
In reply to Bill Burgos

by Sean Gorman -

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm confused as the path:

/home/fsgorman/public_html/moodle 

seems OK.  I have placed a moodledata folder in the public_html folder right along with the moodle folder refenced above.  In other words my public_html folder contains both a moodle and a moodledata folder.  The installation program seems to be able to locate the moodle folder but not the moodledata folder.  What am I missing?

The   /home/fsgorman/   does not exist anywhere on my system so I'm not sure how the install program can locate the /home/fsgorman/public_html/moodle folder but not the  /home/fsgorman/public_html/moodledata  folder.

If I've confused you I'm sorry.  I'm a middle school science teacher obviously pushing the envelope too far, at times at least!  I'm also a retired Navy pilot and software systems manager so I'm not a virgin to software installations.  However, this is my first Unix/Linux based install and I have been stopped at screen two with no options, frustrating!!

Take care and again thanks for your help,

Sean

In reply to Sean Gorman

by Bill Burgos -
Hi Sean,

It seems that you are using a hosting service with Cpanel as a control for your site.

"The /home/fsgorman/ does not exist anywhere on my system so I'm not sure how the install program can locate the /home/fsgorman/public_html/moodle folder but not the /home/fsgorman/public_html/moodledata folder."

If you are using the File Manager, you will not see the /home/fsgorman/ portion of the directory path. What you see is from /home/fsgorman/ onward. What Moodle installation does is check for the 'absolute' path on the computer. That is why it sees the /home/fsgorman/ when the File Manager can not.

In any case, you will need to use the Filemanager to create a folder under public_html/:

moodledata

Using the link:

Create New Folder

If you have already done this, highlight it, and use the:

Change Permissions

link (upper right) to change the permissions to have all the Permissions set as 777.

If you have the database all set, you should be able to proceed to the next step.
In reply to Bill Burgos

by Sean Gorman -

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.  It's true I'm using cPanel.  It turns out my ISP using something known as Fantastico to install numerous scripts, Moodle being one of them.  I attempted their installation which failed!  They were using a 1.3.xxx version of Moodle.  They migrated to version 1.5.xx last night and I ran another installation, and Bingo!, it works!!!

Thanks again for your time and responses, I'm sure I'd have gotten it eventually.

Take care,

Sean