Permissions error with TeX filter

Permissions error with TeX filter

by Philip Norton -
Number of replies: 3
I am trying to use the tex filter to create, well, anything!

I get the following error message when I debug "x<4+3":

sh: line 1: /srv/www/htdocs/Intranet/moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.linux: Permission denied
The shell command
"/srv/www/htdocs/Intranet/moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.linux" -e "/srv/www/htdocs/moodledata/filter/tex/809033a587b97cfb5a466288f0b1573e.gif" '\Large x<4+3'
returned status = 126
File size of mimetex executable /srv/www/htdocs/Intranet/moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.linux is 429514
The file permissions are: 100744
The md5 checksum of the file is e14b7159b8738a60e7909226e8edc5ce
Image not found!

Does anyone have any idea what I need to change to get this to work? Will a reinstall of Moodle help?

Many thanks!

Philip
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Philip Norton

Re: Permissions error with TeX filter

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What system are you running Moodle on? You need to make sure that the executable (mimetex.linux in this case) has sufficient permissions for the web user to execute it. Try just setting it to 777 for now

chmod 777 mimetex.linux

Some systems (eg Redhat ES) impose additional security settings that could be causing this too.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Philip Norton -
Hi Howard,

Thanks, I'll try this. I'm running Moodle on Suse9.0 Linux.
In reply to Philip Norton

by Philip Norton -
Howard, You are truly excellent! Many many thanks! It's been bugging me for ages!

I set "Everybody" to allow read and execute of the mimetex.linux file and it works.