Assignment grades > 100?

Assignment grades > 100?

by Ben Trelease -
Number of replies: 11

I've got an intructor who would like to give an assignemt a grade of 250 points. The assignment module seems to max out at 100 points however. Is there a way around this short of editing the form? I thought about using a custom scale but I'm a bit uncertain how that would work. If I do have to edit the form, which file do I modify and are there any gotchas?

Thanks

Ben

Puget Sound Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology

www.pugetsoundcenter.org

moodle.pugetsoundcenter.org

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ben Trelease

Re: Assignment grades > 100?

by Étienne Rozé -
Not an answer, but in the same idea I've a teacher  who would like to give an assignemt a grade by 0.25 step...

In reply to Étienne Rozé

by Adam Johnston -
This can be done via making the dropdown box have more choices by altering/lib/weblib.php.  Search for 100 and you will see one where it says something like 100; i++, i<0;  or something like thatsmile  alter the 100 to as high as you want to go.  Not the best solution, and I thin in 1.5.3 they are going to go textbox hopefully.  Until then that'll let you have more in the dropdown.
In reply to Adam Johnston

by June Riley -
I am a university teacher and I need to post grades in .25 point increments.  Moodle only seems to allow entry of grades in whole numbers.  Can anyone tell me how, as a user, I can fix this problem?

JR

In reply to June Riley

by Michael Penney -
Submit a feature request in the bug tracker. Request a grading interface like Humboldt's 1.4 version upload and review (it allows >100 point, numerical entry, and two decimel places) be implemented for 1.5.
In reply to Ben Trelease

by Puri Andrés -
Hi smile

Teacher can create a new scale for his course with new values from 1 to 250 and select this scale in the assignment.
In reply to Puri Andrés

by Bob Puffer -
When I create a scale to, say -- 250 and set assignment grading scale to use that scale, the gradebook still shows the maximum for the assignment to be 100 and errors out when I try to give it a grade higher than that.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Bob- have you found something that works. I also have an instructor that wants to set assignment grading to a larger amount of points as well. Can anyone help?

In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Bob Puffer -
Nothing yet.  If I was a better PHP coder and had a good deal more time I'd tackle our four biggest issues with grading:
  1. non-integer values
  2. alter Edit grades to allow forum posts
  3. test and implement Edit grades for quizzes
  4. grades greater than 100 points
These aren't in any specific order but it sure would be nice to see some of them take place really soon.  Thanks for listening to my rant.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Dee Kramer -

Good Morning,

I agree with Bob.  I would also like to see "0" and custom scales appear in the Gradebook.

Thanks

In reply to Bob Puffer

by June Riley -

Well Bob, the website administrator at my University came up with a fix.

Under Administration and "Scales" make up a custom scale with text entries consisting of every possible mark in your whole series.  In my case the scale is called '0_to_20_by_point25' which consists of text entries:  20.00, 19.75, 19.50, 19.25, etc..  He then went into my assignment and changed the scale under the "Grades" setting.  (Note that these grades may not be properly interpreted by the gradebook's numeric functions, as the system may see them as text.  But if you download the data into Excel it may not matter.)

In my case I don't care if Moodle can add these text labels up or not.  It just saves me a big hassle getting marks back to the class (I have 365 all taking the same course.)

Honestly, it's a stupid design flaw, isn't it?  You'd think they would provide a patch for this.

Another silly problem that shouldn't exist is that you can't list students by their Surnames when you try to separate them into groups.  They only appear by the first names.   So in my case I have two sections of students taking the same subject, and I have one website for both.  But to separate them into the two classes I have to actually pick through the whole list of almost 400 students by their first names.  So I'm just not going to bother.  But this again, is a problem that should never even come up.  You can sort by Surname elsewhere in the program - why not by groups?

In reply to June Riley

by Tomasz Walasek -
I am using the WSL grades in Assignment. (2.0, 2.5, ... 4.5, 5.0) But there are no records in the grade book. When I change the scale into 0 ... 100. Everything works perfectly well. What am I doing wrong?