e-mail notification & noreply

e-mail notification & noreply

by Don Simmons -
Number of replies: 6
When students complete an assignment, some of the e-mail notifications I receive are fine and some are submitted by "noreply@mrsimmons.net." These "noreplies" also have no student name in the automatic e-mail message.

Do I need to change a setting on student profiles, or is there some other problem?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Don Simmons
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Simmons

Re: e-mail notification & noreply

by James Dugal -
Don, I believe the From: address of noreply@xxx means that the corresponding ID has disabled revealing their email address (via the profile editor).
In reply to James Dugal

by Don Simmons -
James,
I just checked two messages -- one from a "noreply" and one from a named sender. Their profiles are set up identically with all my default settings. So I guess the idea of the e-mail being disabled is not the answer. I do appreciate the idea -- I thought we had a solution.

I sure hope someone has an idea about this.

Don Simmons
In reply to Don Simmons

by Deon Metelski -
Hi Don!

Maybe this will help. Go to the administration block for your Moodle site setup, under configuration -->variables link. Under the mail settings for your site it has where you specify noreplyaddress. Check that setting and it probably has the noreply@mrsimmons.net filled in.

As explained under that setting:

"Emails are sometimes sent out on behalf of a user (eg forum posts). The email address you specify here will be used as the "From" address in those cases when the recipients should not be able to reply directly to the user (eg when a user chooses to keep their address private)."

Hope this solves your issue big grin

Deon Metelski
In reply to Deon Metelski

by Nikki Macfarlane -
I have just put into another post that I am having this problem as well. The email addresses are set to be seen by everybody - the same thing happened when they were set to be seen by other course users. This missing out email addresses and names only occurs with online text assignments - the upload file asignments are perfect. It seems to happen randomly with the online text assignments though. I have two students - for one online assignment neither of their notifications have names, for another online text assignment in a different course one email notification had a name and another didn't. Nothing different about the students or the assignments.

I looked at the mdl_users table and there are no differences between one student and the next. I then looked in the mdl_assignments table and all that I coudl see is that the upload a file assignments have a var1 setting as 0 while the online text files have a var1 setting of 1. Not sure what the var1 setting does so no idea if this is the key to the problem.

Is it possible for someone to look at the differences between the online text assignment files and the upload file assignments and the way they both handle names and email addresses in teacher notifications? I have looked but cannot see where the email address and name is applied to the email.

Nikki Macfarlane
In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

by Brian Schmidt -
We experience this at times too, but I don't think it's related to any specific type of assignment.  Instead, it seems to be a course-wide thing.

What I have seen, over time, with ours is that the same exact courses do it every time.  We have some courses that have never done it, but some that do it every time.  I don't know if there may have been any sort of bug in Moodle when we initially set those up or what.  However, I can reliably back-up/restore a course that does not have this problem into a brand new course and it still works fine.  As such, I can also back-up/restore a course where this consistently happens into a brand new course and the same problem will exist in the new course.  And it hasn't mattered in our case whether it's an upload, online text, etc.

A couple of months back I noticed someone had filed a bug report on this and I had tagged it with my comments as well.  However, it's listed as a low priority, so I don't know if/when it'll be gotten to.

HTH,
Brian