Examples of extreme customization vol 2

Examples of extreme customization vol 2

by Richard Jones -
Number of replies: 19
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi all

I read through the entire earlier thread on this: Interesting, quite a lot of "off topic" stuff smile, but couldn't actually find an example.  Perhaps I missed it among the rhetoric. 

Anyone got away from the three-column layout, Moodle at 20 paces look?

No, I'm not trying to plagiarize anything, nor am I ashamed of using open source, IE or indeed any tool that's available, before you ask...

Richard Jones

Te Wananga o Aotearoa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Jones

Re: Examples of extreme customization vol 2

by David Scotson -

With the many changes to the underlying HTML made in the most recent release you should find it relatively easy to customize Moodle if you know some CSS. It's pretty much a matter of how much effort you want to put in, as there is no longer a barrier to making changes to the site in the same manner as the multiple themes preseneted in the CSS Zen Garden. Personally, I'm not a fan of looking different for it's own sake in a web application such as Moodle, as it reduces the usefulness of community documentation and testing if every site is radically different.

For example, I like the look of the http://corporacion.campusadalid.com/ Moodle site. It's perhaps not extreme-ly different in layout but it is very well done and avoids what I believe is the number one Moodle-ism, namely putting a solid, dark border around almost everything. The newer 1.5 themes seem to generally avoid this, but it was a common theme(!) for 1.4.

I've also been experimenting with 2-column layouts, the first of which is called Kubrick, based on the ubiquitous Wordpress blog theme of the same name. Again, I think it's the removal of borders that does most to make it look un-Moodle while keeping the vast majority of the layout intact. (There's plenty of digressions in that thread too, you may want to just scroll down to look at the various screenshots or download the latest version of the theme).

In reply to David Scotson

by Julian Ridden -

To add to this discussion check out kubrick in action at:
http://playpen.monte.nsw.edu.au

Another theme tyring to jazz up the core design alittle is Clouds. It can be seen at:
http://montenet.monte.nsw.edu.au

The design of Moodle is relatively set due to the functionality it is designend to offer. And it should be noted there is a slowly growing group of theme developers starting to play with theme design ideas.

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Richard Jones -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi David, Julian

Many thanks for the useful information; those are interesting themes.

Regards

Richard

by Miles Berry -

David,

I am so impressed by your work on the Kubrick theme. approve

I notice in the original discussion you referred to stealing leveraging the wealth of open CSS themes out in the blogosphere and beyond - how hard is this? Is it better to start from the standard theme or could one steal leverage your work on Kubrick as a starting place? Any pointers as to how to get started on the process of taking a wordpress theme and producing a Moodle equivalent would be gratefully received!

This is, I assume, a process that requires a fair degree of manual input, and css and moodle knowledge, and is thus not something that a script could do?

In reply to Miles Berry

by David Scotson -

Unfortunately the work is rather more involved than something that could be automated. You're really taking the design ideas, rather than the just CSS code, and translating them so that they make sense in the context of Moodle. On the other hand, if you look at a variety of Wordpress (or Moodle) themes you start to see a distinct pattern, that basically suggests all you need is a header, a footer and a repeating vertical motif in between. I confindently predict that, as a result of the CSS changes made for 1.5, there will soon be a body of Moodle Themes from which to draw, and that subtle variations of these will suffice for most people. That was part of my thinking in choosing Kubrick, as the distinctive blue blob can be personalised with an image simply by uploading to the Moodle file area. The rest of the theme is non-descript enough for this to transform the look of your site.

My masterplan, which I've not had much time to devote to recently, is to take the Kubrick theme for Moodle and break it down into its component parts to make it easier to steal, leverage, and learn from individual parts of it e.g. you may want to have stripey tables and new-style tabs without 2-columns and fixed width.

Or, on a simpler level, you may just want to take everything blue and make it green, red, purple etc. Hopefully this kind of change will be so easy that anyone can do it since the color stuff will all be broken out and logically arranged together in a single file.

To test that I've broken it down properly, I intend to create a final Kubrick theme, and one based on it's sequal K2 and another popular Wordpress theme, maybe Fresh Bananas (can't quickly find an example but you can see it in the Wordpress theme browser if you select it from the dropdown). These will all be using the same 'foundation' CSS but with a different facade creating a substantially different 'look' without, hopefully, changing the 'feel' too much. I'd hope that theme designers would also be able to build on that same foundation (and contribute fixes to it where problems are found).

(I'll also need to take a look at the block column code before two-column themes can really hit the mainstream.)

edit: Miles's post appears to be linking to a variety of glossary definitions in the Thai Moodle course. Is anyone else seeing this? edit2: it's stopped now. Very strange.

by Matt Cromwell -
WOW, I wish Moodle could look like K2!

Even better, I wish some folks from www.csszengarden would hook up with the K2 folks and make a Moodle theme worth drooling over! For now, it's just fancy banners and menu bars that get the most attention.

Anyway... one day...

~mc~

by Chris Throup -
I don't know if this counts as extreme customisation or not, but I am quite pleased with the themes I designed for our new Moodle sites. The major styling is still standard-white, but I like to think it breaks away from the norm. The most interesting feature is the tabs in the top-right corner. www.centralparklearning.com (this page is a portal to our three Moodle sites).
In reply to Chris Throup

by Jeffery Watkins -
Chris,

I think they are very nice looking sites.  Good Job!!!

Are they registered here at Moodle.org?  We can vote on them being a "Cool Site"

Jeff
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Chris Throup -
Thanks, Jeff. Our primary site (eLearning, or "the blue one") is registered with Moodle as "Central Park Learning Solutions eLearning" in the United Kingdom section. Chris

by Julian Ridden -
Have just finished (well nearly finished, the homepage needs some work) a LMS portal for a client using Moodle with my own theme.

You can see it at http://www.automotive-academy.com/lms/

All hte content on dropdowns is still inside moodle but uses the CMS module.

by craig birrell -
I'm not into cars, but this is excellent - its really showing what is possible and the levels the visual effects to the next level. Fantastic stuff.

In reply to craig birrell

by Julian Ridden -
If anyone is interested in seeing what CMS can do, we just finished designing the homepage.

by steven toh -
Yes I would like to have a look. Can u show me the links?

steve
In reply to steven toh

by Ger Tielemans -

I did an extreme make-over (working!) of my previous ELO (TeLeTOP). It had a central Rostar-scheme with only assignments and  a pattern of labels (what to do as student..)

• before the session
  • during the sesssion
  • after the session
  • I added journal as fourth
  • The navigationbar works nice with this combination:

Attachment TeLeTOP001.gif
In reply to steven toh

by Julian Ridden -
check out http://www.automotive-academy.com.

This entire website is all done within moodle using CMS for content outside of courses. The homepage was built just using the inbuilt HTML editor used within moodle.

Hope this helps you.

by Anil Sharma -

Hi Julian

I am interested in creating the dropdown menu you've done in http://www.automotive-academy.com. I use CMS on my sites, but that takes up too much space on the home page, reducing it to a drop-down - like you've done - would be great.

In reply to Anil Sharma

horizontal drop-down menu in header

by Will Taylor -
This is the UDM DHTML menu, from
http://www.udm4.com/

place the directory
udm-resources
in your MOODLE root,
place the javascript calls in the <head></head> section of your theme's
header.html,
and the menu in the body of header.html
(the menu is in the form of an unordered list with class "udm")
- you may need to play with a table to get the menu at the bottom or top of the header image, as desired

If you'd like to see how I've got this configured (I've got a menu at the bottom the header very much like the one at automotive-academy), drop me a reply here & I'll post it for you.

- will
In reply to Will Taylor

Re: horizontal drop-down menu in header

by Julian Ridden -
Thanks for responding Will. You hit this before I did. He is right too, it is the highly customizable UDM code. t's geat, got nothing but praise for it and it loads fast.

Have fun with it.