Newbie needs help

Newbie needs help

by Anne Baldwin -
Number of replies: 3

This summer at a conference was the first time I heard about Moodle and I want to try it out with my high school American History classes (a total of 90 students or so).  I'm attempting to find a host and have a hosting service offering me 10GB (10,000MB) of bandwidth per month and 300MB of disk space.  While I've created webpages before, I'm fairly new to knowing all the technical stuff that goes with it, so would this disk space be okay to handle Moodle?

Are there any other high school teachers out there using Moodle that would be willing to correspond with me as I try this out?

Thanks,

Anne Baldwin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anne Baldwin

Re: Newbie needs help

by Miles Berry -
Hello Anne,
300MB should be fine for text based content. If you have in mind lots of pdfs, high resolution images, flash movies or mp3s then it might be worth finding somewhere with a more generous allocation. It's also not too difficult to move your Moodle installation from one host to another at a later date if necessary.
I suppose it's out of the question to host Moodle on your school's own servers and allow access from home?
In reply to Anne Baldwin

by Adam Johnston -
Hello Anne,

If you have any questions, I am not a coder, but I am running moodle and have a lot of experience running my own servers and scripts.  I will be using it in a high school setting as well (I run moodle for any of our high school teachers to use at my school).

If you need any help feel free to email me mrj(at)mrjohnston.org or to look me up on AIM (canisater) and I would be glad to help you or anyone else in need.

Adam Johnston
In reply to Anne Baldwin

by Just H -
Hi Anne

Re hosting, see my post at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=29285 if you are worried about disk space and bandwidth. From the research I did I found site5 to be cheap enough with the support I would need to get started and also give plenty room to grow.

regards
Harry