OS 9 theme help

OS 9 theme help

by Michael Penney -
Number of replies: 6
Hi all, I'm trying to make a 1.5 theme that will work on Mac OS9. I've actually gotten most things working ok.

But I'm having severe trouble with the participants list, it's coming out all jumbled up. If I disable CSS for IE 5.1, it actually formats ok, readable anyway. So is there a way to cancel css?

Firefox dev. tools report that the trouble theme set (is that the right term?) is body#user-index table#teachers td, body#user-index table#teachers th, body#user-index table#students td, body#user-index table#students th{

and indeed when create a class with this name and I set visibility for this to hidden, the participants list disappears altogether. Is there a way to over ride the styles for this css and just have no styles displayed (I had thought that .classsname{} would clear out a style, but no joysad).

Any help would be appreciated (we have a bunch of folks with gray G3s so we're stuck supporting OS9 for now).
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: OS 9 theme help

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Michael, MSIE 5.1 on the Mac makes much problems. It renders pages in a very special way far from any standards. Therefore themes must be changed for this special OS/Browser combination.

.classsname{} does not work due to the cascading character of stylesheets - you know it's the "C" from "CSS" wink

I suppose you have built a new theme which bases compleatly on a standard them and added one new CSS file in which you write all the patch code for MSIE Mac.

Please try this CSS to overwrite the CSS in your parent theme:

body#user-index table#teachers td,
body#user-index table#teachers th,
body#user-index table#students td,
body#user-index table#students th {
  vertical-align: inherit !important;
  text-align: inherit !important;
  padding: inherit !important;
}

Inherit makes that the styles of the parent element is displayed. This is not exactly clearing the CSS but somehow similar.

I hope with this lines of CSS you will get your courses display properly in your students browsers.

More informations about Mac and CSS: MacEdition Guide to CSS2 Support in Mac-only Browsers

Urs

PS. Would it be very much work to replace MSIE? I found this statement in a discussion about OS 9 browsers: "One additional browser that runs very nicely on OS 9 is iCab. Older versions had poor support for CSS. The latest public release, iCab 3.0 beta 280 has very good CSS2.1 support. It runs well on OS 9, even on older machines with low CPU power and not much memory."

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Michael Penney -
Thanks Urs, turns out it was mainly the 'float' css, I took all that out of the mac version of the theme, and it seems to work fine now.

In theme/mytheme/config.php I stuck a browser/OS detect script around the
$THEME->sheets = array
and give the Mac/IE'rs a special float-less theme.

by David Scotson -

It might be worth looking at the Mozilla builds for Mac OS 9 (at the bottom):

http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

They're a bit out of date, but probably less so than IE5Mac which, while ahead of it's time with regards to standards compliance, has been badly neglected.

In reply to David Scotson

by Michael Penney -
MSIE on OSX has most of the same problems. It think it is the worst browser ever, though AOL does give it a good runangry.

Unfortunatly, telling 1000 or so Mac users with different IT skill levels (and for the staff, different people they have to get permission from to install new software) is a bigger job than making the browser/os detector and a float less styles_layoutMac.csssmile.

by Maurits Lamers -
I don't want to spoil things, but you can run OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) on a Beige G3.
There are even people who put a PCI-USB card in their Beige G3 and were able to install 10.3
The only thing you have to take care of is providing the G3's with enough internal memory.

regards

Maurits